The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Rare interview with card legend Harry Riser (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
magicmike67
View Profile
New user
New York City, NY
57 Posts

Profile of magicmike67
Thank you.
Be well,

Michael
Caleb Wiles
View Profile
Inner circle
Indianapolis, IN
1132 Posts

Profile of Caleb Wiles
Here's the latest video where Harry tells a funny story about Al Goshman.

http://www.calebwilesmagic.com/?p=2498

Caleb
Check out my Main Event project (DVD or Download).

"Magicians, stop what you're doing right now and pick this up!" - John Guastaferro

"Caleb Wiles is the real deal!" - David Williamson

"...my very highest recommendation." - John Carey
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
NUNEATON, Warwickshire
2536 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
Absolutely fantastic Caleb - best laugh I've had in days!

Thanks ever so much for posting fella; and for ensuring that these historical gems of magic don't just vanish into the wilderness.
Barry Allen

Over 14 years have passed - and still missing Abra Magazine arriving every Saturday morning.
FrenchDrop
View Profile
Inner circle
I can name that tune in
1647 Posts

Profile of FrenchDrop
Great stuff. Well-told stories from a respected elder statesman of magic whose quiet humility just makes you respect him all the more. I could watch for hours. Thanks for posting it!
"A great magician has said of his profession that its practitioners '… must pound and rack their brains to make the least learning go in, but quarrelling always comes very naturally to them.'” -- Susanna Clarke, Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell
Caleb Wiles
View Profile
Inner circle
Indianapolis, IN
1132 Posts

Profile of Caleb Wiles
In this video, Harry talks about what was going on behind the scenes for Cardini's first and ONLY television appearance: http://www.calebwilesmagic.com/?p=2377

Caleb

"Magicians, stop what you're doing right now and pick this up!" - John Guastaferro

zaki_rafih99
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of zaki_rafih99
I took that cardini footage off of a tape a friend lent me maybe 9 years ago now. my friend was kind enough to use his advanced (back then) technology to help rip the footage from vhs to computer format.. I sent it to a few people in the magic community originally.. I still cant believe its gotten around the internet in the ways that it has. ill never forget the tracking at the beginning of each of the vids I took off that tape whenever I see them popping up on the internet.
Caleb Wiles
View Profile
Inner circle
Indianapolis, IN
1132 Posts

Profile of Caleb Wiles
It's a small world, Zaki. Thanks for getting the original Cardini clip started. I think it's important to see that these films aren't lost to history.

I just posted another video to the blog. This time Harry talks about his friendship with Alex Elmsley: http://www.calebwilesmagic.com/?p=2496

Caleb

FrenchDrop
View Profile
Inner circle
I can name that tune in
1647 Posts

Profile of FrenchDrop
I'm still loving this stuff. Harry Riser knew everybody!

It's often hard to make out exactly what Cardini's doing in that footage, but there's still enough there that it made me laugh out loud multiple times. Was that really his only TV appearance? I could swear I'd seen him perform before. Is there another well-known magician who might have done a similar act on TV?
"A great magician has said of his profession that its practitioners '… must pound and rack their brains to make the least learning go in, but quarrelling always comes very naturally to them.'” -- Susanna Clarke, Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell
Caleb Wiles
View Profile
Inner circle
Indianapolis, IN
1132 Posts

Profile of Caleb Wiles
I wondered about that, too. It was hard for me to believe that Cardini only appeared on TV once. I tried doing a little research online and found his wikipedia page that also says this was his only time on TV. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Valentine_Pitchford

I realize Wikipedia isn't always accurate, but it seems to corroborate what Harry said. I also found this http://miraclefactory.net/zenstore/index......ts_id=10 which advertises that the Festival of Magic is "the only complete footage of Cardini's act."

I've got tons of new videos still to post. I'm glad you all are enjoying them.

Caleb

FrenchDrop
View Profile
Inner circle
I can name that tune in
1647 Posts

Profile of FrenchDrop
I looked up Cardini's real name -- Richard Valentine Pitchford -- on imdb.com, and I found he's listed in the credits for a 2000 TV documentary, Heroes of Magic. That may be where I saw him before. It says "archival footage," so it's probably from that same Festival of Magic special.
foolsnobody
View Profile
Special user
Buffalo, NY
843 Posts

Profile of foolsnobody
Yes Caleb this is great stuff! In the old days magicians were real characters with great senses of humor. I am grateful to have met some of them.
John Carey
View Profile
V.I.P.
1057 Posts

Profile of John Carey
Quote:
On 2011-11-15 10:53, cjmagicman wrote:
For many, Harry Riser will need no introduction. His name is highly regarded among the best our field has to offer: a “magician’s magican” if you will. He spent a considerable amount of time with many of the major names in magic throughout his more than 70 years in the art. He was a close friend of Dai Vernon, Charlie Miller, Alex Elmsley, Slydini, and many other architects of 20th century magic.

In 2006, I had the pleasure of recording a series of interviews with Harry. He had plenty of amazing stories to share. I didn’t know at the time what I would do with the footage, but I knew his words needed to be recorded for posterity. The videos aren’t the best quality; it’s just Harry on camera telling some fascinating tales about magic’s past. I have a ton of footage, so I’m not sure how long it will take me to post it all. I can promise, however, that you are certainly in for a treat. You can find all of the videos on my magic blog. I'll also include direct links here in case you're interested in a specific story. Here are the ones I've posted so far:

Introduction to Harry Riser (originally ......napolis)

Harry Riser tells the REAL story behind ......ild Card

Harry tells a hilarious story about Vernon's Triumph

Harry talks about Vernon's personality ......d Marlo)

Harry talks about John Scarne being put ......Diaconis

There are many more videos to come. I hope you all enjoy listening to one of the true living legends in magic. Let me know what you think.

Caleb
Only just got round to this interview with Harry. Wonderful insight and stories etc.

John
Caleb Wiles
View Profile
Inner circle
Indianapolis, IN
1132 Posts

Profile of Caleb Wiles
Harry talks about getting started in magic: http://www.calebwilesmagic.com/?p=2489

Caleb

Caleb Wiles
View Profile
Inner circle
Indianapolis, IN
1132 Posts

Profile of Caleb Wiles

Caleb Wiles
View Profile
Inner circle
Indianapolis, IN
1132 Posts

Profile of Caleb Wiles
Here are two more:

Harry talks about the master magician Okito

Harry tells a funny story about Penn and Teller
(This one was Tweeted out by Penn Jillette to 1.7 million Twitter followers. Pretty cool, eh?)

I hope you guys are enjoying these. Harry is a true living legend.

Caleb

tedski
View Profile
Special user
New Jersey
792 Posts

Profile of tedski
These are fantastic - thank you!
Caleb Wiles
View Profile
Inner circle
Indianapolis, IN
1132 Posts

Profile of Caleb Wiles

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Rare interview with card legend Harry Riser (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL