The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Doubling of Human Population Escalation Spread (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
<<The world population has doubled between:

•1181 and 1715
•1715 and 1881
•1881 and 1960
•1960 and 1999

It’s expected to reach 9 billion by 2040.>>
"Is there any point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"
"To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."
"The dog did nothing in the night-time."
"That was the curious incident," remarked Sherlock Holmes.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Maybe a nuclear war would be helpful.
HerbLarry
View Profile
Special user
Poof!
731 Posts

Profile of HerbLarry
I'm gonna go with virus.
You know why don't act naive.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Or, you know, rubbers.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
817 Posts

Profile of acesover
With all the same sex marriages becoming more and more prevelant I do not think it will happen. Smile

Off we go.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
HerbLarry
View Profile
Special user
Poof!
731 Posts

Profile of HerbLarry
Quote:
On 2011-11-16 12:36, critter wrote:
Or, you know, rubbers.

How are dry feet gonna help?
You know why don't act naive.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27019 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2011-11-16 09:55, panlives wrote:
<<The world population has doubled between:

•1181 and 1715
•1715 and 1881
•1881 and 1960
•1960 and 1999

It’s expected to reach 9 billion by 2040.>>

Where? Europe? North America? Japan? check the trend of population growth against economic development and you find a steep decline once you don't have an empire to grow or a great need to have enough kids to run the farm.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19822 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
2012 should handle it.

I think it is fantastic that myths can last so long.

The idea that we are overpopulated is come and gone. It is a talking point. For whatever reason they have thought us a blight on the earth since 1798 when Thomas Malthus penned "An Essay on the Principle of Population". In the 1968 I believe, Paul Ehrlich wrote the best-selling book "The Population Bomb", in which he predicted global famine and warning that entire nations would cease to exist by the end of the 20th century! ENGLAND chief among them by the way. He wrote "It is too late to take action to save many of those people". In 2001 despite the peculular and persistant instance of England to exist the Sierra Club listed the book among its recommended books for its readers! Pretty silly really.

In reality if you took all the population of the world, you could fit them in an area about the size of Texas and each would have the square footage of an average American house. (not Al Gore's house mind you) John makes a good point as well. The large familiy was a great economic device for labor.

It is indeed a tough world out there. Life went on way before us and will move on long after we cease to be. Go figure.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
Or, you know, rubbers.

Not reliable enough. I think forced sterilization would be more effective, don't you?
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2011-11-16 17:51, HerbLarry wrote:
Quote:
Or, you know, rubbers.

I was thinking if everyone had to live off of freshwater fish that they had to catch themselves then they'd be too busy to hump.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On 2011-11-16 17:51, HerbLarry wrote:
Quote:
Or, you know, rubbers.

I thought he was suggesting that we all play bridge. Kill our sex appeal and all that.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19822 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
A bridge joke! Nice. Never occured to me. Again nice. Those are not easy to find.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2011-11-16 18:33, Dannydoyle wrote:

In reality if you took all the population of the world, you could fit them in an area about the size of Texas and each would have the square footage of an average American house.

I don't know what that has to do with anything. You're not really proposing that the square footage of an average American house is all the land needed to support a person, are you?

But just as a math exercise ...

Texas has an area of 268,820 square miles (696,200 km2). There are 1000 meters in a km.

Apparently the population of the earth is now about 7 billion.

696200 * 1000 * 1000 / 7000000000 = 99.45714 square meters.

1 meter = 3.2808399 feet

So each person would take up 1070 square feet.

According to the National Association of Home Builders, the average home size in the United States was 2,700 square feet in 2009.

Man, I should get a gig on MythBusters. Smile
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2011-11-16 18:33, Dannydoyle wrote:

The idea that we are overpopulated is come and gone.

Indeed (not that anyone in this thread made that claim). And even if we were, nature would soon take care of it. Still, I'm happy to live in a country where overpopulation is not even remotely an issue.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19822 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
The original calculation was done by Thomas Sowell in 1984 and the population was a lot less. About 4.4 billion as a matter of fact Mr. Mythbusters. http://www.carlopelanda.com/econaut/Butl......owth.htm

"In 1984, it was proven by the economist Thomas Sowell that the entire world population (4.4 billion at the time) could live comfortably in the state of Texas.? He wrote “Every human being on the face of the Earth could be housed in the state of Texas in one-story, single-family homes, each with a front and a back yard.?A family of four would thus have 6,800 square feet- about the size of the typical middle-class American home with front and backyards"

It is hardly the point that they can have 1,000 square foot vs. whatever an average house is and you know it. But it is better to focus on the point like that which can distract from the actual point that there isn't a problem.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Yes, well, I wasn't the one who initially raised and focused on that point in this thread, was I? I was merely responding to someone who did.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2011-11-17 00:45, Dannydoyle wrote:

The original calculation was done by Thomas Sowell in 1984 and the population was a lot less. About 4.4 billion as a matter of fact Mr. Mythbusters. http://www.carlopelanda.com/econaut/Butl......owth.htm

FWIW McAfee VirusScan flags that as a virus laden site ... so thanks for that, but I will avoid it. Smile
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19822 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Well Webroot didn't seem to care, I wonder if I need an upgrade? I just scanned the computer and no virus. Hmmmm.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2704 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2011-11-16 14:14, acesover wrote:
With all the same sex marriages becoming more and more prevelant I do not think it will happen. Smile

Off we go.

I really doubt 1 to 10% of the population (depending on who you ask) will have a lot of effect on the birth rate.
(In fact they will have no effect at all as these people were already out of the baby boom market (with some minor exceptions))
"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Rafael Sabatini, Scaramouche
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
817 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2011-11-17 04:28, ed rhodes wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-11-16 14:14, acesover wrote:

Off we go.

I really doubt 1 to 10% of the population (depending on who you ask) will have a lot of effect on the birth rate.
(In fact they will have no effect at all as these people were already out of the baby boom market (with some minor exceptions))

I know you are right. I just said it to bust stones. Smile
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Doubling of Human Population Escalation Spread (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL