The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Good Old Days? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
"Advertising will in the future world become gradually more and more intelligent in tone. It will seek to influence demand by argument instead of clamour, a tendency already more apparent every year. Cheap attention-calling tricks and clap-trap will be wholly replaced, as they are already being greatly replaced, by serious exposition; and advertisements, instead of being mere repetitions of stale catch-words, will be made interesting and informative, so that they will be welcomed instead of being shunned; and it will be just as suicidal for a manufacturer to publish silly or fallacious claims to notoriety as for a shopkeeper of the present day to seek custom by telling lies to his customers."

– T. Baron Russell, A Hundred Years Hence, 1906
"Is there any point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"
"To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."
"The dog did nothing in the night-time."
"That was the curious incident," remarked Sherlock Holmes.
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Ah - Mr Russell understood we would eventually have authorative figures like Professor Justin Beiber and Dr Katie Perry explaining the benefits of peroxide - sorry - ProActive.

Oh - and Get The Clear Skin You Deserve!
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2547 Posts

Profile of critter
I was thinking of the supplement ads. All these diet pill and 'natural Testosterone booster" advertisements would fit right in with the potions and elixirs in an 1890's Sears catalog.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11160 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Snake oil is never in short supply in the land of wishful thinking.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
I see on the internet that I can learn to be a guitar god in just one weekend. I've been wasting the past few decades, apparently. D@mn.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
Someone once asked Henry Fonda about those "good olde days", to which he replied,
"There were no good olde days!"
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27016 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
What the writer did not take into account is that about ninety percent of the mental activity (sometimes called reasoning) behind why one chooses or believes a thing are not conscious.

Advertising these days appeals to the higher functions of the unconscious - so in many ways the author was spot on. Branding, backstory/history, typography, graphic arts and mixed messages. There's more work on a thirty second ad than in many tv shows which serve as hosts for the ads. Look at the text. Now look back at me. Did you think of a horse? Did you remember the rest of that old spice ad?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2547 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2011-11-16 17:56, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Look at the text. Now look back at me. Did you think of a horse? Did you remember the rest of that old spice ad?

Didn't it end: "Your man may not have a horse's ass, but he can smell like one?"

That ad campaign was brilliant. They did the whole interactive YouTube promotion with it. Made people really feel like part of the campaign. What a fantastic way to foster brand loyalty. I'm gonna' go get some Old Spice right now, and if you prefer bay rum then **** you!
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2704 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Someone did a cover of Barbara Streisand's song "Memories." (I think it was Aretha Franklin, but don't quote me.) It opens with the woman talking to the audience; "Everybody's talking about the good old days, the good old days... you know, strange as it may seem, these will be the good old days to our children."
"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Rafael Sabatini, Scaramouche
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15755 Posts

Profile of tommy
Formulas that have been tested and found to work in the past will always work and they are all as old as the hills.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Good Old Days? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL