The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Xmas Show (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I've started work on my Xmas show after talking with Andy Walker about it. How is this for a plot?

I start by trying to find my Xmas gift. The kids tell me Santa gives gifts and that he lives in the North Pole. I produce a ten foot stripey North Pole from a gift bag but then the only other thing in there is a picture of Rudolph with a GREEN nose (a sponge ball). I make jokes about him having a cold and I make him blow his nose before going into a sponge ball routine.

I show my gift from last year which was Snakes and Ladders but I've lost it all except for one dice which I do the die box with (making it vanish to a gift box).

I then draw pic of Santa who comes to life and he tells me to look in his workshop which is a specially decorated rabbit production. The rabbit appears at the end and he is my present from Santa.

Any comments? Smile
Al Kazam the Magic Man
View Profile
Special user
Living in Perth Western Australia
996 Posts

Profile of Al Kazam the Magic Man
Very good Nicholas,

I like it very much. Seems to flow together well. I wish I had some ideas for you, but only encouragement today.

JoJo Smile
Al Kazam --> Magic guy in Perth Australia
Andy Wonder
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
747 Posts

Profile of Andy Wonder
Sounds good. I like how you have it linking together like that. I find Christmas shows are usually family shows with children of all ages and adults. That is why I called my show a Family Christmas Magic Show.

All the routines are things that I know adults will appreciate, so there is no Run Rabbit Run (Run Rudolph run) or anything too juvenile. I’m sure you have in mind a presentation that has real family appeal anyway Nick.

I’ve found a good way to involve the adults in a kid's show is to add lots of puns & groaners. All clean of course. The very fact that the children don’t understand them seems to help tune in the adults. Perhaps in this post we could brainstorm some Christmas orientated puns & groaner jokes. I love the one about the 10” appearing North Pole. I plan to use it as an opener for my Christmas shows this year.
Andy Wonder, Auckland, New Zealand
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
There was a nice Xmas-themed Die Box routine in MAGIC a few months ago where the die was wrapped as a gift that you might want to look into.

Do people down under still play Snakes and Ladders?

I don't think anyone here in the states even knows what that is anymore.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Nice ideas, Nicholas (or should we say St Nicholas?).

A production of a red sponge at the end of the routine to stick back on Rudolph's nose might finish the routine quite nicely. Also if you are blowing his nose with a silk you could do something with that too.

Why not gift wrap all your tricks and open them one at a time with appropriate patter about not being able to wait for Christmas. You could then have a running gag at the start of every trick about "opening just one more" the kids will probably egg you on and you can start getting upset near the end of the show about not having anything to open on Christmas. It would also mean you could present (npi) all the tricks in a "I wonder what this does" kinda way.

You should also dress up as an elf. Just because you could post the picture to the magic Café and we could all have a laugh.

Christmas patter:
Can anyone name all the reindeer?
I can -- rudolph, donner and blitzen, dasher, vixen, sleepy, bashful, doc....
Oops. Well I definitely know one of the reindeer: "olive". You know, from the song, "olive the other reindeer, used to laugh..."

Best of elf
george

The joke you can't use:
Why do all the other reindeer have brown-noses? They can't stop as quick as Rudolph
Al Kazam the Magic Man
View Profile
Special user
Living in Perth Western Australia
996 Posts

Profile of Al Kazam the Magic Man
George,
HHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAA!!!! Loved the jokes there.

I have another idea, how about if, like George suggested about the red nose (spongeball) for Rudolf's nose, which may lend itself to using the red d'lites for taking a light from the nose and the Christmas tree and things like that. Of course this would probably mean some sort of dim lighting, except for the tree and decorations in the room.

JoJo

PS. Sorry I don't have any jokes to add. Can't use them anyways, due to language restraints.
Al Kazam --> Magic guy in Perth Australia
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Cool d'lites ideas, Jo. If your d'lite is strong enough and your red sponge ball is small enough you could use your d'lite to make it seem that the red sponge ball is actually lighting up.

I couldn't find any red sponges (mine are all pink and green because I just have to be different), but I did find a red ball to square sponge. If I change it from a square to a ball using the d'lite to push it in you can then grab it leaving your thumb still inside it when it's a ball. The light is just under the surface so you can see the glow nicely.

I suppose you could work it into your routine something like this: Do your usual sponge routine with the green balls. State you are going to try and make it the right colour for Rudolph. Produce the red square and act happy and pleased that you have the colour right and let the kids go bonkers for a bit telling you you now have the shape wrong. Change it into the ball as described and for your finale say "This is definitely Rudolph's nose, do you know how I know?" Rhen light it up.

George

What is the most popular wine at Christmas?

"I don't like brussel sprouts!"
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Great Ideas!

I reckon you could do the brown nose reindeer joke for older kids!
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
WOW,

Getting a Christmas show ready now.... I am already 95% booked up for DEC. You guys/gals seem to get no free time what with performing and coming up with new shows.
Phillip
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
I'll start work on mine next month when the weather is too bad to play golf. That's what I love about being full time, I get to play golf most weekday mornings.

I don't build a show exclusively for use at Xmas; I use my christmas show as a foundation for next year's show. In January I just remove any references to Santa etc.

The main change for me at Xmas is I do a lot more 1-hour shows and less 2-hour birthday parties. If anyone wants a birthday party in December they have to have it on a weekday, not a weekend.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Has anyone ever thought about making Santa appear as your last trick?
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
I always get the kids to magic Santa's appearance. It's not done in any special way - they wiggle their fingers and sing jingle bells and he appears behind them.

But be warned - finish your act and take your applause, etc., then do it as an encore. Why? Well once Santa appears the kids will lose total and utter interest in you, after all you can't compete with saint nick.

It would be nice to do something a bit more spectaular but generally you never get to meet Santa before his appearance to brief him. It's normally some old guy who's been volunteered for the job; all you can do is tell the organiser when to send him in.

Telling the booker you can do that at the end of the show is a good selling point.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Quote:
On 2003-09-12 01:43, Dynamike wrote:
Has anyone ever thought about making Santa appear as your last trick?

Great idea!

Then saw him in half!

If I had the budget I would make him appear from a cabinet shaped like a chimney.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2003-09-12 18:43, Nicholas J. Johnson wrote:
Then saw him in half!

If I had the budget I would make him appear from a cabinet shaped like a chimney.

Abbott's Magic Shop sell some panels which we can use to make a person appear. I can't recall the name of them. The price is $500.

Don't you think the kids will look negative at you if sawed Santa in half? Maybe it would be better if a stooge was sawed in half. After Santa or a magician waves his hand over the stooge, he is not a stooge any more, and he is back together and celebrating Christmas in a merrily way.
Andy Wonder
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
747 Posts

Profile of Andy Wonder
Smile So is it okay to hurt Scrooge because he is not generous???

I think introducing a motive or reason to want to harm someone into any danger effect would be very unwise. You don't want what you are doing to be seen as an act of aggression.
Andy Wonder, Auckland, New Zealand
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
As you all well know I don't agree with doing dangerous stuff like fire and sawing in half tricks for kids. That's been discussed in a different thread.

The idea of sawing Santa in half is paricularly dodgy though. Not just with the danger of kids copying and trying to saw the cat/dog, baby brother in half when they get home. But some kids may start crying at the thought that they may not get any presents because Santa's going to die. You could be stuck in mid trick with a load of crying kids, who won't believe your only pretending.

A playgroup here in Plymouth hired a puppet show one year, during part of the show something bad happpened to Santa, they never got to the part where everything was OK again as the kids got so upset they had to ask the performers to leave.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Hi,

I think you should produce Santa at the end of the show, then you get off and pack while Santa deals with the kids. If you produce him any other time, it will just distract from the show.

For productions check out Victory Carton Illusions UF grant (the cartons can be painted ala a chiminy); also Paul Osborne has a Santa production in his Genii plans.
I think it is on the prinsiple of the doll house but looks like a chiminy.

Phillip
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Quote:
On 2003-09-13 07:18, Dynamike wrote:
Quote:
On 2003-09-12 18:43, Nicholas J. Johnson wrote:
Then saw him in half!

Don't you think the kids will look negative at you if sawed Santa in half? Maybe it would be better if a stooge was sawed in half. After Santa or a magician waves his hand over the stooge, he is not a stooge any more, and he is back together and celebrating Christmas in a merrily way.

I was joking.
:confused:

Of course I wouldn't saw Santa in half...I'd use a sword box! Smile
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
It would be more in theme to penetrate him with reindeer antlers! Smile
jlibby
View Profile
Inner circle
1024 Posts

Profile of jlibby
At one point I considered the idea of sawing Santa in half after he makes his appearance. But then I realized that, as far as the kids are concerned, when Santa enters, the show's over.

See ya!
Joe L.
Ugly $5 Report is GOLD!

Grab your copy now:
https://makequickcashonlinenow.co.business
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Xmas Show (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL