The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Magic in the Rain (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah ... more crap out the wrong end ...

http://www.businessbrief.com/cold-fact-y......ng-down/

-JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
HerbLarry
View Profile
Special user
Poof!
731 Posts

Profile of HerbLarry
Quote:
On 2011-11-17 21:18, JoeJoe wrote:
Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah ... more crap out the wrong end ...

http://www.businessbrief.com/cold-fact-y......ng-down/

-JoeJoe

Did I expect any less? No. Though you did do something on the table I'll give you that.
Notice the 4th word in the headline. Also notice it's not the word Will.
You know why don't act naive.
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
You really should take an English class, your communication skills are pathetic ... you had said "So because it rains or snows people are compelled to buy stuff? Site reference please?" ... yes they are ... and I gave you the reference you asked for, which points out online sales for people stuck in the snow were up 40%:

Quote:
The reason for the success? People spend more time browsing retail sites during storms because they’re stuck in the house with little else to do — and they’re more likely to buy.

-JoeJoe
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2732 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2011-11-17 11:06, HerbLarry wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-11-16 22:17, ed rhodes wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-11-16 20:49, Ekuth wrote:
Find a covered pitch, and work it.

But JoeJoe said he did that and it didn't help.

Everyone knows that if Joe Joe can't do it it can't be done.

Not my point. Ekuth's statement seemed to be a "given." "Find a covered pitch and work it." I'm just pointing out that another busker found a "covered pitch" and worked it and it didn't work.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
HerbLarry
View Profile
Special user
Poof!
731 Posts

Profile of HerbLarry
Quote:
On 2011-11-18 12:20, JoeJoe wrote:
You really should take an English class, your communication skills are pathetic ... you had said "So because it rains or snows people are compelled to buy stuff? Site reference please?" ... yes they are ... and I gave you the reference you asked for, which points out online sales for people stuck in the snow were up 40%:

Quote:
The reason for the success? People spend more time browsing retail sites during storms because they’re stuck in the house with little else to do — and they’re more likely to buy.

-JoeJoe

Do you know what the word compelled means? Do ya?
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Yeah ... I do ... to bring about something by the use of force or pressure ... do you know what a "high pressure sales pitch" is? That's how sales are made in the real world ... you apply pressure, release ... apply pressure, release. As an actual bona fide pitchman, I'm well aware of how to compel someone to make a purchase.

-JoeJoe
HerbLarry
View Profile
Special user
Poof!
731 Posts

Profile of HerbLarry
Quote:
On 2011-11-18 14:13, JoeJoe wrote:
Yeah ... I do ... to bring about something by the use of force or pressure ... do you know what a "high pressure sales pitch" is? That's how sales are made in the real world ... you apply pressure, release ... apply pressure, release. As an actual bona fide pitchman, I'm well aware of how to compel someone to make a purchase.

Shows what you know about sales my friend, or is there only one way to skin a cat? I can sell more than you without high pressure tactics any day of the week. My secret? Charisma, but I wouldn't expect you to know jack about that.
How has that anything to do with your lack of logic concerning weather and sales and your inability to understand all encompassing statements, like ALL businesses ARE effected by weather?
I say compelled to buy online and you answer with "You CAN make sales go up while snow is coming down"?
Seriously weak Joe, seriously.

Quote:
Get one of your prostitutes to teach you, it's not my job in life to make sure you have a proper education. That's the problem with your artsy fartsy types ... you have no skill sets that translate into real world applications.

Have you met me? No. Know me? No.
Yet your psychic powers have divined that I'm a Artsy Fartsy Pimp.
I'd stick to the balloons Joe Joe. I heard that one has to be 10% smarter than what one works with to be successful. You may have found your calling.
Ekuth
View Profile
Inner circle
Floating above my
1539 Posts

Profile of Ekuth
Such charming good will on the forums lately.

It does my heart good to see such heartwarming displays of public affection that could so easily be missed by the rest of us if the two parties were to say... take it to PM's?

/sniffs ed's post

Mmmmmmm.... troll bait. Love that smell. As if we didn't have enough loving on this thread already.

Odd how the acrimony seems limited to a certain handful of people on this particular subsection of the forum... still, at least it's entertaining, in the same way a car wreck is.

/cracks a beer and hands one to Devious

Popcorn, bro?
"All you need is in Fitzkee."
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13401 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Quote:
On 2011-11-16 16:12, Iris Caraway wrote:
It's rather unfortunate that street performance should be relegated to sunny weather. Are there any tricks you've seen that use rain or snow as part of the trick?

Snowstorm in China? Think of how easy it would be. All you need is a fan and a nice pose.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
Frank,
Speaking of China, De Yip Loo a Chinese Magician once toured with Harry Blackstone Sr. and later with Dante'
He became a magician, because he was a lousy busboy.

In the link below, he shares with us how the handshake became a symbol of friendship.
De Yip Loo

His handshake routine would play very well on any sidewalk, my friends!

He is still very much alive and his grand daughter Mai-Ling, a very close friend of mine
is also a member here on The Magic Café', posting under the user id Marshall-Thornside.

Please go and learn how to shake hands men.
Ekuth, hand me that beer and popcorn, so I can go and watch De Yip Loo!

Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2732 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2011-11-18 18:35, Ekuth wrote:
Such charming good will on the forums lately.

It does my heart good to see such heartwarming displays of public affection that could so easily be missed by the rest of us if the two parties were to say... take it to PM's?

/sniffs ed's post

Mmmmmmm.... troll bait. Love that smell. As if we didn't have enough loving on this thread already.

Which post? And why would it be "troll bait" when I asked what I felt was a legitimate question?
There's a thread on YouTube in which a troll takes delight in comparing anyone who likes the video in question (and its ilk) to "retards"
Finally I got angry (never good) and responded; "Whereas, to judge from your posts, anyone who DOESN'T like these videos is a hateful troll, is that it?"

Now THAT was "troll bait." However I didn't believe anyone else here was acting like a troll, merely posting with black and white certainty and I asked for clarification after comparing their posts.

Are we supposed to keep every post to a bland; "Yes, I agree with you." "No, I do not agree with you." level? To quote Henry Drummond; "This is going to be a barren sort of amusement."
Ain't life unkind?"
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
I'll expand my answer to help clear the confusion for you Ed ... first, always remember that what works for one person doesn't work for someone else, and visa-versa .... which is why it's good to get as much input from as many people as possible so you can have a lot of options to experiment with to find out what works for you.

When it comes to performing under the covered porch, yea you can work it and even make money. But I find I never made as much money in the rain as I did when it stopped raining.

Yeah ... it's a captive audience ... but your also a captured performer. So let's say you have a half hour magic show, and it rains for an hour. What are you going to do under the covered porch with your punters for the other half hour? I was uncomfortable in the situation, and found myself having to make small talk and being nice and friendly and all that other stuff I'd prefer not to be doing.

And here's the thing ... when it stops raining, these people are going to come out from under the porch and they are going to be excited that it stopped raining, and they are going to eagerly watch your show, and since they are in a better mood they will most likely tip better. So why would I want to sit under the covered porch with them for an hour when I could be drinking with my buddies, and still get their money anyway?

It's already been pointed out that you can get some great shows after a good rain ... there does seem to be an exception, at least for me and my pitch. And that is when they decide to change venues.

Let's say it 5pm and it rains for an hour ... the sun is still out, so they are content to remain at the Landing. They'll come out and eagerly watch my show.

But let's say its 7pm and it rains for an hour ... now when it stops raining, the sun is setting and it's nearly dark ... they don't want to hang out at the Landing any longer. So instead of eagerly watching my show, they make a mad dash for the car. And once they've decided they are going to their car, it is darn near impossible to stop them.

In my experience, it simply has to stop raining before dark or the night is done. Even if the crowds decide to leave, if the sun is still up when it stops raining, other people will come. But if it is raining when it gets dark, nobody is coming. If it is going to rain past sunset, I call it a night.

-JoeJoe
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
It appears to me their are diffrent strokes for diffrent situation and no blancket statments are right or wroung.

In the UK rain is often a way of life, I am looking out of my window, it looks grey, damp and a bit cold, the chances of rain are qwite high.
Shortly I will be going out to busk. Now if starts to rain in the middle of my show I finish it, light drizzle is nether fun. If it is raining at the start of a show and breaks twards the end then wow that can be great. I must addmit these days I prefer to avoid starting a show in the rain, it is just not good for props, my hat is made of wool for peat sake. On the other hand theri are some festavels in the UK and every other show you do will be in the rain, I am not talking lashing down hear but fine raine building up to your fernarly of stedy rain. 80% of your audiance have come with umbreallars and rain coats, they are use to it like Eskimos I use to snow, its blood madness.

Now conpaire that to the south of Spain, LOL. They have got it right, sun is the way of life. A few drops of rain I mean a FEW DROPS, its like magic in its self. Panic wrips through the streets and the Spaniards are darting for cover. seldom prepaired for shocking conditions they will grab newspapers plastic bags to protect them selfs. The fine tiled streets become a dangerous ice-ring.

If you can work it, work it, if you cant you cant, if you don't want to don't, simple.
I am off
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2732 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2011-11-20 05:15, Mario Morris wrote:
It appears to me their are diffrent strokes for diffrent situation and no blancket statments are right or wroung.

That was what I was trying to say.
Ain't life unkind?"
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Great post Mario! Now that's what I call putting meat on the table! Thanks for taking the time to share. Smile

-JoeJoe
HerbLarry
View Profile
Special user
Poof!
731 Posts

Profile of HerbLarry
So Iris Caraway it appears that the answer to your question, ya'll do remember the question?, is snow storm in China. Requirements? A fan and a good pose.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Magic in the Rain (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL