The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » President Obama (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
I am watching him now live on television as he addresses a special joint sitting of the Australian Parliament.

He has promised to introduce the Australian expression 'earbashing' into the American vernacular.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
How about beating him to the punch. Tell us what 'earbashing' means.
Salguod Nairb
View Profile
Room 101
-3 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
I may go there as a contractor if they decide to put troops there.
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
The closest I can think of is 'Blabbermouth', but it's stronger. It's often used about a gossip, nagger or very insistant person who monopolises the conversation and does not know when to shut up, continually loudly and forcefully making the same point over and over. I can think of a great example but she doesn't post anymore so I'll show I know when to shut up. Smile

Your President gave a very good speech focusing on the US role in the Asia Pacific - an American marine base is being opened in the Northern Territory. He also spoke of Australia and the US's historic alliance as two of the oldest democracies and our shared military history. He was a great advocate for the worth of democracy.

Salguod, It's happening - the Northern Territory has plenty of desert and camels but not much other resemblance to the middle east - more the wild west.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
It's nice that U.S. troops are moving in to Australia in order to protect you lot from, I dunno, is it the Māori?

Destiny, I'm confused by your post. On the one hand you seem to be saying that Obama is an earbasher but at the same time he gave a very good speech? I would think this was a contradiction.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4754 Posts

Profile of landmark
"Your President gave a very good speech focusing on the US role in the Asia Pacific - an American marine base is being opened in the Northern Territory. He also spoke of Australia and the US's historic alliance as two of the oldest democracies and our shared military history. He was a great advocate for the worth of democracy. "

Is the US also gifting you a large wooden horse-y looking structure? You might want to check that out ...
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Balducci - maybe I phrased it poorly - he heard the expression 'earbasher' yesterday and liked it - he has been joking he is going to introduce the term into the American vernacular. It reminds me of when Bette Midler performed here in the late seventies and was told she would be arrested if she said m*****f***** so she spent her entire concert using an Australian expression she had just heard - p***f****.

The President did not do any 'earbashing' himself. He spoke very well about our shared values and the Asia-Pacific future. He mentioned that his main concern as POTUS is American jobs. He spoke on free trade and the rise of China. I personally see the China - US stuff as politicking for the home audience as I believe those two powers to be two of the closest economic allies in the world today. He referenced his birthplace of Hawaii, talked about living in Indonesia and stop overs as a child in Australia. He asked if we could use our vast deserted outback to store nuclear waste and birthers out of sight, out of mind.
HerbLarry
View Profile
Special user
Poof!
731 Posts

Profile of HerbLarry
This post may be political:
We aint be got no Democracy over here in the States that are United.
We do have a Republic though.
Why would I expect the POTUS to be up on that piece of knowledge?
You know why don't act naive.
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
It might be best not to nitpick what he said based on my paraphrasing. It was a bloody good speech and received well by both sides of our Parliament in that Australia and the US have always been firm friends regardless of which side was in power in which country at any specific time. We welcome your President as a symbol of a great nation we have a firm and well founded affection for. If you mob wanyt to turn it into a domestic partisan political fight - go for it. I'll be off milking the kangaroos and perhaps enjoying a bit of yodeling.
Salguod Nairb
View Profile
Room 101
-3 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
Looks like they will be setting up bases in Darwin. I know my wife would love to go there. I current contract is up in March so I will keep an eye on this.
HerbLarry
View Profile
Special user
Poof!
731 Posts

Profile of HerbLarry
Oh the POTUS is quite aware of using the term Democracy.
Makes the whole class warfare angle more palatable.
Both sides of the ugly coin use it so it's not partisan.
I calls 'em as I sees 'em.
You know why don't act naive.
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Salguod,
I'll miss you - I'm going up there for a friends 50th birthday party in February - she's lived there for 20 years and loves it. I will be investigating work opportunities while I'm there because I love vast open country and the fun honest people who live in those less populated, less 'sophisticated' type of places. I wouldn't want to live there - Cairns is hot and humid enough - but the heat is more bearable when you know it's for a limited time.
Salguod Nairb
View Profile
Room 101
-3 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
It all comes down to the money they offer, but it can't be hotter than Kuwait. It sounds like it would be an adventure.
Salguod Nairb
View Profile
Room 101
-3 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
Whoppers!
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2011-11-16 20:21, Destiny wrote:

I wouldn't want to live there - Cairns is hot and humid enough - but the heat is more bearable when you know it's for a limited time.

Once again, I may have an opportunity to visit Australia soon (the visit I was hoping for about a year or so ago never panned out). Either Sydney in February, Adelaide in June, Sydney or Cairns in July. Thoughts? If I had to pick just one, which would you recommend?
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4754 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On 2011-11-16 20:16, HerbLarry wrote:
Oh the POTUS is quite aware of using the term Democracy.
Makes the whole class warfare angle more palatable.
Both sides of the ugly coin use it so it's not partisan.
I calls 'em as I sees 'em.

Just so I'm understanding you clearly--both sides (I'm assuming you're talking about the two major political parties in the US) are using the word democracy instead of republic in order to promote class warfare?
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Balducci,

Adelaide I don't know much about - everyone says it is nice but no particularly Aussie attractions there. I do know South Australians are the most 'English' of the Australian states - I always get a giggle from the plummy accents their politicians affect.

February is still warm but Sydney won't be too bad being down south. It's probably the most iconic place to visit - the harbour is simply astonishing in it's beauty - everyone should see the Opera House - and there's good zoos to see the wildlife.

Cairns is at it's best in June - it's winter so the most pleasant time of the year. The killer jellyfish are on their annual break and the snakes and crocs are not as active. None of the real attractions are actually in town - it's all day trip type stuff - out to the reef, up to the Daintree Rainforest with perhaps a boat trip to see the crocs in the wild...

The best I can narrow it down to would be Sydney either time or Cairns in July. Is it a holiday? PM me what you really really enjoy - what would really be exciting and memorable for you and I'll forward some ideas.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2011-11-16 19:59, HerbLarry wrote:

You do realize that Democracy and Republic are not mutually exclusive?

There is a difference between a direct democracy and a representative democracy.

But both are still democracies.

And a Republic can certainly take the form of the latter.

"In common parlance a republic is a state that does not practice direct democracy but rather has a government indirectly controlled by the people. This is known as representative democracy. This understanding of the term was originally developed by James Madison, and notably employed in Federalist Paper No. 10. This meaning was widely adopted early in the history of the United States, including in Noah Webster's dictionary of 1828."
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2704 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2011-11-16 19:59, HerbLarry wrote:

We are not a full democracy (ie, the people vote on every issue.) But as we vote for and choose our representatives as well as vote for certain issues (such as bonds) there is certainly more democracy in this republic than in other places. "We ain't got no Democracy" is clearly false.
"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Rafael Sabatini, Scaramouche
jugglestruck
View Profile
Inner circle
Wales
1038 Posts

Profile of jugglestruck
On a different, but still Obama related issue, does anybody know why Guantanamo Bay is still open for business?
I ask because, if I remember correctly, it was his election promise that it would shut and this won him a lot of support over here at the time.
Consequently the failure to close it has lost him a lot of support......
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » President Obama (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL