The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » President Obama (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2011-11-17 08:02, jugglestruck wrote:

On a different, but still Obama related issue, does anybody know why Guantanamo Bay is still open for business?

I guess the short answer is, it was far easier said than done. Fuller explanation here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guantanamo_......he_camps
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
jugglestruck
View Profile
Inner circle
Wales
1038 Posts

Profile of jugglestruck
I think your short answer is more comprehensive!
It leaves me with a bad feeling, that feeling of just being let down by someone. Shame.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1189 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2011-11-17 08:02, jugglestruck wrote:
On a different, but still Obama related issue, does anybody know why Guantanamo Bay is still open for business?
I ask because, if I remember correctly, it was his election promise that it would shut and this won him a lot of support over here at the time.
Consequently the failure to close it has lost him a lot of support......

Presidential candidates just say things to get elected. It pretty much doesn't cost them any support when they fail to do the things they promised. You could post a good-sized list of unfulfilled campaign promises, and if the election were tomorrow and the economy were ok, Obama would get about the same share of thhe vote.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
jugglestruck
View Profile
Inner circle
Wales
1038 Posts

Profile of jugglestruck
Quote:
On 2011-11-17 10:19, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Presidential candidates just say things to get elected.

That's what leaves me with a bad feeling.
Politicians do it frequently but often not on such a prominent and contentious issue as Guantanamo Bay.
HerbLarry
View Profile
Special user
Poof!
731 Posts

Profile of HerbLarry
Quote:
On 2011-11-16 22:35, landmark wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-11-16 20:16, HerbLarry wrote:
Oh the POTUS is quite aware of using the term Democracy.
Makes the whole class warfare angle more palatable.
Both sides of the ugly coin use it so it's not partisan.
I calls 'em as I sees 'em.

Just so I'm understanding you clearly--both sides (I'm assuming you're talking about the two major political parties in the US) are using the word democracy instead of republic in order to promote class warfare?

Both sides use it, the term democracy incorrectly. One side to promote class warfare among other things and the other to do what I can't say without getting banned yet again.
You know why don't act naive.
HerbLarry
View Profile
Special user
Poof!
731 Posts

Profile of HerbLarry
Quote:
On 2011-11-17 00:41, balducci wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-11-16 19:59, HerbLarry wrote:

This post may be political:
We aint be got no Democracy over here in the States that are United.
We do have a Republic though.
Why would I expect the POTUS to be up on that piece of knowledge?

You do realize that Democracy and Republic are not mutually exclusive?

There is a difference between a direct democracy and a representative democracy.

But both are still democracies.

And a Republic can certainly take the form of the latter.

"In common parlance a republic is a state that does not practice direct democracy but rather has a government indirectly controlled by the people. This is known as representative democracy. This understanding of the term was originally developed by James Madison, and notably employed in Federalist Paper No. 10. This meaning was widely adopted early in the history of the United States, including in Noah Webster's dictionary of 1828."

Yes I do realize that. I also realize that the 1st definition given by Websters:
"a : government by the people; ESPECIALLY : rule of the majority" is the angle stressed by those political entities that want to pit one group of people against another. "There are more of us than them and we want our country back." When the common boob thinks of Democracy they are thinking one man one vote and that's not what we have going on is it? Nope.
So here on the internet tubes frequented in the majority by the common boob, author included, I like to remind folks we are a Republic so they might get curious and look for themselves. No one WINS! on the internet tubes but it is possible for some to learn if they want to. All I wanted to do was stimulate thought. Thanks for the additional encouragement for those inclined.
You know why don't act naive.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2549 Posts

Profile of critter
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » President Obama (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL