The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Ever had your copy blatanty stolen (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Kingry
View Profile
Elite user
Virginia
464 Posts

Profile of Kingry
Here's my Bday site http://www.kingrymagic.com/childrensmagic.html
Checking Google for my page ranking, found this guy. http://www.wvmagician.com/Birthday-Party-Packages.html
Sound slightly familiar?
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
Kingry, do you think that you are the first magician to use the same wording? I can see how his seems very similiar,
but I've read the same business statements on many websites.

You have to ask yourself, will he undermine my business efforts by making the same claims?
Is he in your same territory? Are you certain that you wish to pursue this, versus
focussing on your own business efforts?

In closing, yours is a public website, there are always consequences to sharing ideas and concepts online.
It's the nature of the business. Can you be 100% certain that this man has copied your site
with any specificity? I'm not condoning his action, but many of us have come to live with it.

Dev/
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
Carducci
View Profile
Special user
Denver
543 Posts

Profile of Carducci
Yes, twice.

Once I discovered a magician in who copied all of text literally word-for-word, only changing the name. I sent a polite email asking him to kindly knock it off.
Another time I found mobile bar service who offered a magician as an option. They, too, ripped off the copy and my pictures. Again, only the name was changed.

I read through both pages and para 2 is identical (if you change 30 years to 12 years and refined to fine tuned) and 3 is completly identical, 4 is about 90% there as well.

Consider asking the guy to kindly reword those paragraphs. Or consider going this route http://www.dmca.com/takedowns.aspx?ad=cps also, be sure to put your copyright on the bottom of all your pages.

If you really want to protect your content, check out a service like copyscape.com
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2292 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
No offense - especially as my own site isn't anything great at all! - but both web sites in the first post look like Jack Turk template sites. Maybe not the backgrounds (the second one is a Kidabra page), but the suggested wording and flow of text read like they were lifted right out of Turk the Genii's "Part Time Magician" or other package. I imagine there's quite a few of these out there.

Ed
Scott Burton
View Profile
Inner circle
1131 Posts

Profile of Scott Burton
Yes, twice. One local and one well outside of my market. Copyscape told me who was using my text.
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
Ed, while I've got you on the phone sort of speak, would you consider performing a show in Wellton,Az,
which is just east of the foothills to you? It's for the Welltown/Mohawk Water District Group.
Dev/
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
Kingry
View Profile
Elite user
Virginia
464 Posts

Profile of Kingry
Not going to lose any sleep over it. The copy was written by me. The guy isn't even my market. Hell, I would have let him use it if he had the courtesy to ask.
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Wow. It's funny how at the start he tried to disguise it by adding words and swapping things around but by the end of the page he can't be bothered and justs lifts it as is.
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
Yes, I have had copy stolen from my website. I emailed him telling him to cease and desist. He claimed his web designer did it, yet the site was a free website on freewebs.com. If he paid someone to do it, he got ripped off, and another person ripped off in the process!

Whats funny about it, he copied it when it still had a bunch of typo's in it!
-Matt
MikeClay
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta GA
761 Posts

Profile of MikeClay
Not as n entertainer...

but for one of my other businesses I currently have a local and direct competitor not just taking my content but using a scraper to auto update his own site with my content.

I've blocked his IP address twice..

but he keeps adapting...
its ok.. balloon dogs don't bite
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2292 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Devious ... sent you a PM.
Thanks for thinking of me!

Ed
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
I recieved it Ed. I will be in touch sir. I've done shows for them over the years.
I'm not too keen on it this year. I've decided to stay closer to home for a spell.
I think that you need to raise your rates.

Dev/
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
Kingry
View Profile
Elite user
Virginia
464 Posts

Profile of Kingry
The guy Emailed me Late last night. Said he had a college student build the site for him. He will have it changed.
Scott Burton
View Profile
Inner circle
1131 Posts

Profile of Scott Burton
Glad you got it resolved. Interesting that he would have a college student write the content too (web and copy are two very different disciplines).
robjames
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of robjames
This happens to me very often. So much so that I wrote something on my blog about it.

http://www.rob-james.com/blog/if-you-are......website/
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
Quote:
On 2011-11-18 06:36, Kingry wrote:
The guy Emailed me Late last night. Said he had a college student build the site for him. He will have it changed.

It's always someone else that did it...
-Matt
Bill Hilly
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of Bill Hilly
About eight years ago, my web site was copied, nearly in its entirety, by a person who is well respected on this board and is a revered staff member of Kidabra. He's changed a lot of his site since then but there are still a few paragraphs left. My site is 100% different now, since I realized it was not very good copy. He can have it.

Since becoming friends with a lot of principls and library directors, I get to see actual letters they get from magicians and other performers. I will admit that it has helped me in my copywriting - mostly as bad examples. A lot of the ones I get to see are because they have the same sentences in them, complete with the same misspellings and/or grammar. I've kept most of those letters.

It's easy to see the same thing on web sites. Check these out...

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22motiva......&bih=557

http://www.google.com/search?q=nothing+y......&bih=325

http://www.google.com/search?num=100&hl=......l2-1l1l0

Can anyone guess where these came from? Hint: Malcolm.

And you should see the boxes they keep in the closet with many of the same instant author books that never leave the box.

-B.H.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
If you have time to read a lot of other peoples web site text you need a hobby, because text is rarely read by customers. I guess the text is there for other magicians to read.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Benji Bruce
View Profile
Special user
930 Posts

Profile of Benji Bruce
Quote:
On 2011-11-18 12:59, Al Angello wrote:
If you have time to read a lot of other peoples web site text you need a hobby, because text is rarely read by customers. I guess the text is there for other magicians to read.

Yup...a lot of copywriters know that people don't "read" online...they scan.

That is why copywriters highlight words....make them bigger...change the color...etc

Someone who copies the text of another magician is missing the point on how to book gigs. It wouldn't bother me at all if another magician took the text from my website.
MikeClay
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta GA
761 Posts

Profile of MikeClay
Umm I don't search around for it..
I setup a google alert for specific phrases and google tells me..

and I run my site through copyblogger and it will tell you if anyone else has similar pages

less than 5 min a week to check..

the thing is.. copy doesn't book gigs, but it can make your phone ring... and YOU book the gig..
it's like any marketing.. it gets the word out. it doesn't make the sale
The goal is to prequalify a lead and then convince them to pick up the phone or fill out a contact form.. or any other Call 2 Action
its ok.. balloon dogs don't bite
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Ever had your copy blatanty stolen (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL