The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Instant final loads (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
J.G. the magnificent
View Profile
Special user
Griffith Indiana
885 Posts

Profile of J.G. the magnificent
Had an idea a while back about having final loads appear right after the balls appear back under the cups. They appear and you set the cups back over them lift back up and you have your oranges or other fruits. They may then be handed out as they are completly edible. Magicians may or may not figure this out. Doesn't really matter though. Magicians like fooling other magicians but what really matters is if the audience gives you a bigger reaction or not. Would the audience see this as any different from the standard appearance of loads? There would be no transfering of the cups from hand to hand or other key slights. This could also be done without balls just empty cups lifted as you ditch the balls and then bam. I can also envision two loads coming from the same cup at one time without any palming. No trap doors either and am am developing several ways to acomplish this.
Jeremy Gates
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24218 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Sounds like a great idea. Do it, put it in the secret sessions and put a link to it here in this thread.

Or publish it in a book.

Need a publisher? I know one!!!
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
HerbLarry
View Profile
Special user
Poof!
731 Posts

Profile of HerbLarry
Quote:

Would the audience see this as any different from the standard appearance of loads?

I took Vernon's advice "You wanna get to the Final Loads as soon as possible" and can attest that C&B's without the little ball play gets a better reaction for me.
It took some thought to accomplish but less time to perfect due to less motion. A good case of less is more.
You know why don't act naive.
J.G. the magnificent
View Profile
Special user
Griffith Indiana
885 Posts

Sounds like I am on to something, one of these days when I finally remember I'll have someone record me in the bar. Put some more youtube video's up. I tend to forget many little things but I do get to them. They loved my live nightcrawlers appearing from the cup on haloween. Even the pumpkin comming out of nowhere. I have many other loads I have come up with too. I should put them in a book like Bill sugested or even in secret sessions. I have put to much in secret sessions though. Plus my book in progress isn't so much about secrets as it is learning proper technique. I would rather keep the secrets to my self for a while. Some magicians are great because they keep there secrets. I am thinking about a publisher though Bill. I'll p.m. you.
Jeremy Gates
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24218 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Perfectly executed, the audience will not see any difference between any two methods of loading; however, the key word here is "perfectly." There are several points in the sequence where final loads can become problematic. Reread the thread on Final Load Logic in the Secret Sessions.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

djkuttdecks
View Profile
Special user
Nashville
660 Posts

Profile of djkuttdecks
The Buddah chop cup works on this idea... but making it fruit that can be passed out is a great idea.
-Lee
J.G. the magnificent
View Profile
Special user
Griffith Indiana
885 Posts

The way they can be passed out is that I switch fruit. Got fake lemons that are pretty realistic to use. Just need them modified. The only thing is when experimenting I found that I do one switch. Then I am not sure how to obtain the other lemons. Being finall loads there are no other moves or excuses that I can think of to go back to my servante. What reasons are ther that I may not know of to go to a servante? So far as I know they are to grab a ball, wand, cup, and even return such items. Perhaps causually rest hand in it like you would your pocket. Maybe grab a skarf or handkercheif? I would assume have a reason to use something else but I really cant think of anything. I would need to be pulling something out and not putting things in the way the slight works. Suggestions?
Jeremy Gates
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Directly switching out at this point can be deadly. This is the exact point in time that their suspicion is the highest. I wouldn't immediately try to switch them to be handed out. Instead, you might include the lemons into a follow up routine such as "bill in lemon" where you can drop it in a bag for them to hold. That might give you the opportunity you need to generate an "off beat" to do the switch in preparation of something else.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
J.G. the magnificent
View Profile
Special user
Griffith Indiana
885 Posts

Ya know I was just thinking that but thought it might be stomping the applause by saying wait another one. You are wiser than me though so I could do that. Also not sure why I didn't think of it but I could just have them come up for the lemons. Then as I hand them out I put away the cup belonging to that lemon. Bam my excuse and the audience member would mask the switch. Now I can come up with something and try it out at open mike night. Hopefully this isn't something that looks better in a mirror. The switch is very bold as you may imagine. Relies on perfect speed, good eye contact and the spectators masking of the move. Much directing of focus. I did find another way to switch though in case the one doesn't work.

Posted: Nov 22, 2011 1:45am
On second thought it is better that I come to them. I could just put the cups away one at a time. Like said though a switch is not completely necesary. Plus a follow up with just one switched lemon would me good. Some effects have one item normal inspected having the spectators assume the others are the same. This would be one instance and once a follow up effect like bill in lemon is done suspition is far from their minds. Thanks Dave V
Jeremy Gates
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24218 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
DON'T PASS YOUR LOADS OUT FOR EXAMINATION. DON'T PASS ANYTHING FOR EXAMINATION.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

billappleton
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Gatos, California
1154 Posts

Profile of billappleton
Quote:
On 2011-11-22 11:03, Bill Palmer wrote:

For me, a thorough fruit inspection really builds momentum.
djkuttdecks
View Profile
Special user
Nashville
660 Posts

Profile of djkuttdecks
I once passed out fruit after the final loads. But mostly that was because they were refugee kids and wanted an orange.

-Lee
J.G. the magnificent
View Profile
Special user
Griffith Indiana
885 Posts

Quote:

Maybe not busking but not even for a stage setting where they can take them home?
Jeremy Gates
HerbLarry
View Profile
Special user
Poof!
731 Posts

Profile of HerbLarry
Quote:
On 2011-11-22 12:51, J.G. the magnificent wrote:
Quote:

Maybe not busking but not even for a stage setting where they can take them home?

I'm gonna go with the Caps speak for themselves.
J.G. the magnificent
View Profile
Special user
Griffith Indiana
885 Posts

Not sure what you mean by caps speak for themselves but my guess is handing final loads out is just a bad idea.
Jeremy Gates
HerbLarry
View Profile
Special user
Poof!
731 Posts

Profile of HerbLarry
Quote:
On 2011-11-22 14:19, J.G. the magnificent wrote:
Not sure what you mean by caps speak for themselves but my guess is handing final loads out is just a bad idea.

DON'T PASS ANYTHING FOR EXAMINATION.
[/quote]
J.G. the magnificent
View Profile
Special user
Griffith Indiana
885 Posts

Just realized caps was a typo and meant cups. Sorry about that HerbLarry I wont pass them for examination but the move could still be used in a number of things. I could change one load to another for instance. Or change a loads size and a number of other things most likely.
Jeremy Gates
billappleton
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Gatos, California
1154 Posts

Profile of billappleton
Here is why I go on the assumption that nothing needs to be examined.

1) asking for examination conditions the audience to start thinking they should look at various other objects, some of which later on may not be examinable.

2) the examination puts the focus on some person examining some prop. this is a boring, momentum stopping, pointless diversion from the magic.

3) most people love magic, enjoy magic, and want to participate, etc. But some people really just want to know how its done. having debates with those people turns ME into a jerk trying to fool them, be smarter than them, hide things, etc. Asking them to examine something is really egging them on to start delving into the mechanics of how things are done instead of enjoying themselves.
HerbLarry
View Profile
Special user
Poof!
731 Posts

Profile of HerbLarry
Quote:
On 2011-11-22 17:22, J.G. the magnificent wrote:
Just realized caps was a typo and meant cups. Sorry about that HerbLarry I wont pass them for examination but the move could still be used in a number of things. I could change one load to another for instance. Or change a loads size and a number of other things most likely.

Caps= Capitols, like the all CAPS Bill used. They speak for themselves.
I try real hard to say what I mean and proof read what I post. Sorry I left room for interpretation.

As for the Cups do what you like.
The loads are the BIG ending, the Coup de grâce, the Finale, for Pete's(maybe Biro?)sake. Sell that and let it alone is what I would do.
Ever had way too much to eat? How did that make you feel?
J.G. the magnificent
View Profile
Special user
Griffith Indiana
885 Posts

Gotchya no examining the loads. Bill sugessted I put the secret up in secret sessions. So here it is http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......rum=37&0 wouldn't give my secret away but given the Buddah chop cup is the same thing it isn't much of a secret. Besides it could really be helpful to the art. Back to my initial question. Will the audience really see this as any different from standard load appearances? It may be like my discovery with thumb tips. http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=113
Jeremy Gates
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Instant final loads (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.5 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL