The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Who inhabits the "real world"? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3889 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Greetings,

This phrase "the real world" comes up a lot on the Magic Café. It bothers me. Usually, it is applied in the sort of argument which has degenerated into what can be crudely characterised as a 'p***ing contest'.

My own, homespun, opinion is that the phrase itself conjures up a brand of existentialism that sits uneasily, for me, in useful debate. As a gambit, it has a tendency to smoke the glass; whereas the purpose of argument is to render the glass more clear.

To give an example:

Magic Café User 1: I suspect that the new gizmo from "x" could be vulnerable to "y" set of circumstances. If I have "p" in the audience, and they want to do "q", I can't see what logical out there would be!

Magic Café User 2: It's a great device! "x" always delivers great stuff, and if you're worried about "y" then you haven't tried it in the REAL WORLD. I have "p" in the audience every night, and making sure they don't do "q" is just down to your performance.

At this point, Magic Café User 1 has a problem. The concerns he has expressed have been answered with a mixture of experiential anecdote and conjecture. What if User 1 works in working men's clubs in Scunthorpe (UK), and what if User 2 works doing functions in The Hamptons (USA)? How do their respective "real worlds" compare? And isn't this form of argument just plain lazy?

So, in fact, this thread does have something to do with magic, but this still seemed to be the correct forum for it.

Your views are welcome.

(This is the "real" thread, for "real" people.)
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5691 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Imho, it is very simple...

Your world is your "real world".

Certainly other perspectives can be of great help (or not) but you are the one running the Show, literally...

People always wanna look good and seem smart here, it is just the way it is with performers (or wannabe performers)... Smile

In the words of Lee Jun Fan regarding knowledge and performance...

"Take what is useful, discard what is useless, add what is your own." Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3889 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
I like it.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5691 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2011-11-18 01:30, tomsk192 wrote:
I like it.

I do too. Smile

From another perspective...

"It's not the critic that counts. It's not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena. Whose face is marred with dust, and sweat, and blood. Who strives valiantly; Who errors and comes short again and again; Because there is no effort without error and shortcoming. But who does actually dare to do the deeds. Who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions; Who spends himself in a worthy cause; Who at best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly. So that his place will never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat."

- Theodore Roosevelt -
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Iris Caraway
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of Iris Caraway
The world can be of your own devising; The only one standing in your way is you. And, furthermore, "All the [real] world's a stage."
jugglestruck
View Profile
Inner circle
Wales
1038 Posts

Profile of jugglestruck
In general conversation I most often hear the term "real world" in association with rich people and politicians.
The former do inhabit the real world, their real world, albeit a rich one.
Politicians too inhabit a real world, their real world, but they spend a lot of time saying they live in another, ours.
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3889 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Very true, jugglestruck. It becomes a meaningless and empty phrase in the mealy mouths of tepid politicians.

Teddy R., (who's reputation has always extended to my side of the pond), was not always in that category. Thank you, Pakar Ilusi, for the excellent quote.

And yes, Iris Caraway, as always, Shakespeare nails it.

Finally, my favourite T Roosevelt quote is "speak softly and carry a big stick". It works.

(pssst. Don't tell about this thread.)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Who inhabits the "real world"? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL