We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Mylar for mirror illusions? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Iris Caraway
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of Iris Caraway
Does anyone have experience with the use of mylar instead of glass to act for mirror illusions? Suppose to make something person-sized disappear, which is better?
chill
View Profile
Veteran user
colorado, usa
371 Posts

Profile of chill
Distortion is a problem with mylar at this size. you can get away with a plexiglass mirror if you're looking to cut weight.
I spent most of my money on magic and women, the rest i just wasted
billappleton
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Gatos, California
1154 Posts

Profile of billappleton
I need 2 small mi**ors for a box, maybe 1 foot square. what materials are out there?

I was thinking I had to go to a glass shop & get them cut...
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11157 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Billappleton,

Glass mirrors would still be your best option at the small size you need. If breakage is a concern, be sure to install them in a manner that allows for low-hassle replacement. Plexi mirrors will also work, but the weight difference is not that big of a deal at the small size. Polished stainless steel can also be used, but tends to produce a reflection that is a shade darker, so much would depend on the application.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1387 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
The glass guy I used for my Tricky Trash Can cut them out of Closet door mirrors.. and they're backed in a Fiberglass woven cloth.

If they break.. they don't shatter and come apart... which makes it safer... and saves a lot of clean up if you drop the prop.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21874 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2011-11-18 09:52, billappleton wrote:
I need 2 small mi**ors for a box, maybe 1 foot square. what materials are out there?

I was thinking I had to go to a glass shop & get them cut...

Bill, your the Plexiglas expert. You get Plexiglas mirrors at the same store. Some mirror shops carry them, but not on a regular basis. We have a Trade Show display company that sells a lot of Plexiglass and mirror Plexiglass. They are very helpful if you want to DIY instead of using their services.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2229 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Glass is still the standard. Plexiglas can be marginally lighter and less fragile but there's the problem of scratching. Mylar mirrors can be extremely light but if there's any movement at all is they will distort. Then you still have to look at the option of front surface or traditional mirrors. The front surface is much better magically but you haven't even more delicate scratching problem than the plexi.

For most situations and especially smaller applications glass is still the best. Just make sure that they come out for transporting them if possible.
Ray Pierce
<BR>www.HollywoodAerialArts.com
Iris Caraway
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of Iris Caraway
This all makes sense! I had a guy tell me that working with mylar was a typical thing, and I didn't believe him. This is why I come to the Magic Café.
sb
View Profile
Special user
567 Posts

Profile of sb
I have a m irror t****l, the sides are real glass, the top is plexi. Something does not look right about the plexi when compared side by side with real glass. It just looks a bit off. With this side by side comparison, if I were ever to make something else out of mirrors, I would real glass.
billappleton
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Gatos, California
1154 Posts

Profile of billappleton
Hi all

Tap Plastics has Acrylic mirrors in 1/8 and 1/4 inch thickness

They have a strong gray backing for the reflective material and are covered by a nice protective coating you peel off the front

I CANT tell the difference between these mirrors and regular glass, the Acrylic is clear as a bell.

What is nice is that you can cut and sand these mirrors with easy and no worries of breakage. There are also quite cheap, Tap will cut to size and sell by the foot.

I doubt I'll be using anything else.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Mylar for mirror illusions? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL