The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Where to get Doves? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Suren
View Profile
Veteran user
Armenia
314 Posts

Profile of Suren
Where should I get some doves? I don't know anything about dove magic, by the way.
Neznarf
View Profile
Inner circle
NY then AZ now
1840 Posts

Profile of Neznarf
Put a WTB white doves in the lifestock section of the newspaper.
Just run it on Sundays.

Or hook up or find 4-H.

Works for Mr. Rabbit too.
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Suren, if you don't know anything about doves or dove magic, don't buy doves. You need to do a lot of research, much of which is right here on the Café. Doves take a lot of time, patience and at first a monetary investment to get them set up. You quite simply are not ready to get doves.
Where the magic begins
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Suren, the following thread should be handy for you in searching for DVDs dealing with how to handle them as Dave is describing to you. http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......um=13&20
Suren
View Profile
Veteran user
Armenia
314 Posts

Profile of Suren
I've already read that thread, but thanks. So first thing is to learn theories and secrets? I already feel very comfortable with various stage manipulations : Cards, Balls, Candles, Linking Rings...
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Theories and secrets are the last things you need to worry about. Here are a few things that need to be understood before getting doves.

1. Do I have hours everyday to work with and train them
2. Do I have the space to keep them. They shouldn't be kept in the house with you
3. Can I afford the food,treats,vitamins,vet bills
4. Am I prepared to clean them and their cage everyday

I see from your introduction that you are only 14 years old. Nothing wrong with that and there are many young magicians doing dove magic, however, you need to be sure your parents are ok with having doves around.

Doves are messy eaters and they spread a lot of dander. Dander is a dust that comes from their wings and it is dangerous to human lungs if inhaled constantly. There is also a noise factor. It never bothered me and I had 31 doves at one time but some are very vocal.

Doves are very different than working with cards,balls, candles and Rings. They are living creatures, not props. Reading the thread that Mike referenced gives you an idea of what vids are available and you should invest in some of them BEFORE getting doves. Some good ones are Tony Clarks Unmasked, Andy Amx's doves 101 and Greg Frewin's encyclopedia. These will tell you all you need to know to get started with doves including their care and feeding.

I know all this sounds negative and that is correct. Too many guys go out and get doves thinking they are an easy addition to their act and then find out they aren't prepared and dove magic isn't really something they want to do. When you get the doves first and then decide not to use them, what are you going to do with them. You can't just release them into the wild.
Where the magic begins
Suren
View Profile
Veteran user
Armenia
314 Posts

Profile of Suren
Thanks a lot I understood everything, I need more time to think about them and take it more seriously. Now I don't think that I need to get them. Because I don't think that magic will be my main profession. Of course I am having many stage performances but I will stay without doves, though they give beauty to any act. If I decide to get them it will be after few years for sure, now I understand why I am not ready for dove magic.
One more tome thak you for a great reply.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
In many states, the state Agricultural Department has a free bulletin that allows state residents to offer animals such as doves and rabbits for sale. The ads are free too!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Leland
View Profile
Inner circle
St Louis
1180 Posts

Profile of Leland
I don’t know anything about doves, I do know a lot about dove magic, just be sure that you're ready for the work involved.

I see doves advertised all the time in craigslist, may want to try there.
Life of Magic!
Lavey
View Profile
Regular user
Luxembourg
150 Posts

Profile of Lavey
I can approve that doves will do a lot of work.

BTW, they are really fertile, a couple of doves can be a ten dove family after one year. And maybe after two years you will have thirty doves... so be also prepard for that.
Christian Lavey
Magician from Luxembourg https://lavey.lu
Magicien de Luxembourg https://lavey.lu
Zauberer aus Luxemburg https://lavey.lu
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Great advice! I contemplated getting doves for years before I finally took the plunge. The first thing I did was buy a book on how to care for doves. Then I asked a ton of questions here at the Magic Café. Dave Scribner, Bob Sanders, and many, many others helped me learn and ultimately decide whether doves were right for me or not. I also spoke with several dove magicians in person, and I am grateful for every bit of information I gleaned from these great people! I also bought loads of DVDs on the care of doves and dove magic. All of this happened before I ever bought my first dove!

Regan
Mister Mystery
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
Today, I corrected grammar in
1378 Posts

Profile of Autumn Morning Star
Suren is in Armenia, so there may not be doves readily available. I had this same problem in Germany and ended up bringing my doves in from the USA.

So glad you decided to wait on those doves, Suren. Doves are not as easy as most people think. Some people even expect a dove to be a 'prop', but these wonderful creatures are fragile living beings and deserve to be treated as such.
Wonder is very necessary in life. When we're little kids, we're filled with wonder for the world - it's fascinating and miraculous. A lot of people lose that. They become cynical and jaded, especially in modern day society. Magic renews that wonder.
Doug Henning
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Where to get Doves? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL