The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Lance Burton lately? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Iris Caraway
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of Iris Caraway
What's the guy been up to? Has he had any good gigs since his Vegas show ended? Also, why exactly did his contract expire earlier than it was supposed to have?
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Lance was at the Conference all last week and told me he was loving retirement. He is someone who's worked extremely hard and now is savoring the fruits of his labor. I'm sure in time he will grow restless but for now he seems to just be enjoying life.
Ray Pierce
goatears
View Profile
Veteran user
400 Posts

Profile of goatears
Check out Toby Keith's "Red Solo Cup" music video. He has a great cameo. I chuckled to myself when I saw it.
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3017 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
His contract didn't expire - the Monte Carlo wanted him to essentially do a cheaper show (i.e. cut wages/staff) and instead, Lance took the high road and said he'd rather bow out early than treat his loyal staff members that way. He's a class act on stage and off, and having spent time both with him and his assistant Eta-Lyn, I can say his whole operation is top notch. He doesn't need dollar signs in his eyes when he's surrounded by such wonderful support. It's nice to see him enjoying some time off!
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I am not so certain that getting 0 for everyone as opposed to a cut is "taking the high road". Guess it depends on who you ask.

I suspect he won't be back till it is financially viable to be able to run the show the way he sees it needs to be done artistically .And good on him for that! He has put a LOT of heavy lifting in to be able to be where he is.

He is a good business man, and from my understanding a great person. I hope a time comes soon where it makes financial sense to do his show the way he wants to do it. The world is just a little bit less cool without him doing his thing in it.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
LaurensMalter
View Profile
Regular user
Belgium
131 Posts

Profile of LaurensMalter
What Andrew says seems right, I've heard that before aswell..
Not willing to fire staff, so he retired early on his own terms.

He'll be back, he still has many years to go, and I can't imagine him not getting on stage anymore..
Iris Caraway
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of Iris Caraway
He just doesn't seem like the kind of guy who'd bow out, never to return again. I eagerly await his return to the limelight.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Lance seems like a good guy. When I went to his show I was a little sad that he didn't do a meet and greet afterwards like some other Vagas acts. I wrote him a letter saying so, but that I loved his show anyway, and then I got a birthday card from him. Come to think of it, I never did tell him when my birthday was... How did he know?! *** he's good.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Lance is and will always be a professional!
Dennis Michael
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Vegas, not Vagas Smile
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1695 Posts

Profile of Futureal
Quote:
On 2011-11-19 12:27, Andrew Zuber wrote:
His contract didn't expire - the Monte Carlo wanted him to essentially do a cheaper show (i.e. cut wages/staff) and instead, Lance took the high road and said he'd rather bow out early than treat his loyal staff members that way. He's a class act on stage and off, and having spent time both with him and his assistant Eta-Lyn, I can say his whole operation is top notch. He doesn't need dollar signs in his eyes when he's surrounded by such wonderful support. It's nice to see him enjoying some time off!

As already said, the loyalty thing doesn't quite make sense - instead of being loyal and losing SOME staff members he made the decision to shut the show down completely which meant that that he was loyal and EVERY staff member was let go.

If he wasn't prepared to cut corners and do a less-extravagant show, then that's understandable and that makes sense. But the whole "he packed it it because of loyalty to his people" scenario doesn't quite add up to me.
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3017 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Knowing Lance, I'm sure his people were well taken care of once the show closed. I think his loyalty was also to his audience. He didn't want to put on a pretty good show. He wanted to put on a fantastic show. If you can't do something right, don't do it at all.

I'm biased because I know Lance and his assistant, so I'm sure that contributes to my opinion, but I think I would have made the same decision under those circumstances.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
sharpace
View Profile
Loyal user
264 Posts

Profile of sharpace
Do
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Lance Burton lately? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL