The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » People Notice My False Cuts!!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Michaels
View Profile
Elite user
412 Posts

Profile of Michaels
Quote:
On 2003-09-09 17:16, John Clarkson wrote:
Adam, here are some of the topics you've posted recently:
    1) When someone, all of a sudden grabs the deck from you then reveals your secret! (Pick a card...any card)
    2) People saw the wax when I was doing the Card On Ceiling (Pick a card...any card)
    3) When Other People See Your Double Lifting (Pick a card...any card)
    4) flashing your backpalm
I suggest that you are trying to do too much, too fast, too soon. Pick one or two tricks you really like. Promise yourself that you will not perform them until you have practiced each one every day for, say, one or two decades. Smile Then, come back and tell us if people notice your false cuts, your IT, your TT, your wax, your DL...

Now, to address this specific issue: first, you mentioned doing the cut "really fast". There is absolutely no reason to do a false cut "really fast." It should be done like any other cut--smoothly and at a normal speed. Second, you ask about a good false cut. The "up the ladder" false cut looks great and does not need speed. I think it's shown on one of the Gary Ouellet DVDs, among other places.

Smile

Adam,
May I suggest reading this post one more time and after that read it nine more times.
By then I feel you'll understand how important practice really is.
"Our technology is ahead of our humanity"
Albert Einstein
Jay
View Profile
Veteran user
Northern New Jersey
398 Posts

Profile of Jay
Holy Moly, BradBurt, I just fooled myself with your false cut. I could have sworn I really cut the deck. I am keeping this one. Thanks!!!

Jay Smile
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
Jay, are those glasses prescription?
Smile
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
Magic_Mailman
View Profile
New user
Portland,Oregon
53 Posts

Profile of Magic_Mailman
Practice, practice, and more practice. When you have put in the time (practice) you will be more confident with your magic. You know how people say, "Dogs can sense fear"? The same goes with people. They can tell when you’re not confident. It’s those unseen things (and maybe things that are seen) I believe that are making people questioning your false cuts and double lifts. Practice is all I can say. Good luck. Smile
djvirtualreality
View Profile
Inner circle
MayfieldNew York
1347 Posts

Profile of djvirtualreality
When people notice you are nervous... most of the time they will burn your hands and notice more.
Life is an illusion, death is reality.
Jay
View Profile
Veteran user
Northern New Jersey
398 Posts

Profile of Jay
You should see my contact lenses.

Jay Smile
jonesc2ii
View Profile
Loyal user
Oxford, England
235 Posts

Profile of jonesc2ii
Quote:
Holy Moly, BradBurt, I just fooled myself with your false cut. I could have sworn I really cut the deck. I am keeping this one. Thanks!!!

Jay Smile

I was just about to make the exact same post! I had to keep checking which stack was which!

As with all the best in magic, it's so simple, yet so effective.

Thanks Brad.
www.ixyl.co.uk/forums - for when you fancy a debate or a quiet chat.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12020 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Wives are good judges of our work... just don't tell them the secret. Smile Smile
Liam Jones
View Profile
Veteran user
384 Posts

Profile of Liam Jones
It's best if you use misdirection and keep the cards low. Smile
Steve Friedberg
View Profile
Inner circle
1401 Posts

Profile of Steve Friedberg
Brad's post is marvelously right on target, of course; you can also do the same thing with a kick cut in two fashions.

First, substitute a kick cut for Brad's Hindu cut. Alternately, kick cut the top half of the deck into your other hand, then let it fall forward into the fingers as you bring the other half of the deck across and let it fall behind the top half. Done smoothly and handled as almost a throwaway cut, this will pass by virtually anyone.

The key, I've found, to this one is the sound. If you do a real cut, the cards will make a sound as one packet contacts the other. So, when you do the false cut, it's important to produce the same kind of sound as a verifier to the spectator that yes, something natural has occurred...nothing fishy about what they just saw. Best way of producing the sound is to hold the first packet in your receiving hand on the vertical and angle the second packet as it slides in behind it.

Best of luck on this one.
Cheers,
Steve

"A trick does not fool the eyes, but fools the brain." -- John Mulholland
Ricky B
View Profile
Regular user
Northern California
172 Posts

Profile of Ricky B
"Well I can't get CC until November cuz that's when my first report card is.

Unless if you guys have an idea on what I can say to make them buy CC for me."

I have a solution. Either buy Harry Lorayne's The Magic Book or see if you can find it in the library. You can sometimes pick up used copies on eBay. This is the best single book for a beginner in my opinion.

The problem with Card College, particularly for beginners, is that it is encyclopedic. You will fall further into the beginner's trap, which is running from one thing to the next before you have truly learned anything.

Harry will give you professional quality effects (not mediocre "beginner's tricks") and teach them better than any other book for the beginner. He teaches the sleights you need to know for the effects and for a good foundation in card magic.

And Harry's instruction on the jog shuffle is probably the best out there, and that is a sleight that can be used repeatedly and in a number of different ways. But let me warn you, even though it is a simple sleight, it will take practice, practice, practice, until you get it so you can do it reliably without looking at the deck and so it is deceptive.

While it's tempting for a beginner to learn all sorts of sleights, they are useless unless you have an effect to use them in. Card College, even vol. 1, has a number of sleights that you will not use for quite some time. As Harry says, all you know to work miracles is a good control (e.g., jog shuffle), a good DL, and a good palm.

Here is a link to a more formal review that I wrote about The Magic Book:

http://www.magictalk.com/cgi-bin/reviews.cgi?read=341

--Rick
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » People Notice My False Cuts!!! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.28 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL