The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Table Talk (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Brian Lehr
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Canada
1605 Posts

Profile of Brian Lehr
Yesterday, Andy Walker and I were discussing the pros and cons of using a table as part of our magic show for kids. He doesn't use one, and I have used one. Some videos I've seen show birthday party magicians with them, and others without.

I would be interested in opening this discussion up to others on the children's forum. Do you use any type of table during performances (ie. to lay props out on, either for later use or for aesthetic's purposes)? And, what do you think the pros and cons of using one are?

Brian Smile
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Two of the most popular ones are the Laflin Table and Joe Lefler table.

If you are a prop guy, then you need to store and place effects after use and both tables fit this need.

I went to a lecture where Ron Geoffries explained the advantage and packability of the Laflin Table. It's high, it locks, it acts as a servo, it has the capability to house a small amp system, and it has the velcro siding to place signs. Well the lecture was a lot more than this and a great product from Chalet Magic. After this lecture this table fit my needs.

There are also light weigh table for placing a small suitcase, and working out of a suitcase: Check out Instand Tables. These are for computers and seminar presentations, however, they are ideal for magicians. Denny and Lee sells them.

Since your dealing with kids, a place to place props is critical! They will grab or their curiosity after the show will want them to touch and pick up the props.

These are the following tables I have and use:

This list does not include the tables that are Magic Tables like the Doves to Rabbit, Flower Vanish, etc.

The question really is how many times do you want to trip back to the car? If doing five shows a day on Saturday & Sunday, do you want to Pack Small and Play Big with Suitcase magic or do you want prop magic which looks good and looks like a magician. Oh there are so many variables, and there is no right (perfect) choices. It really depends on what effects you're doing and what you're going to do with the prop after you're done with it.

If you use animals, then some tables can hide them until they are needed, like the Lefler table.

Just my thoughts
Den
Dennis Michael
wizardofsorts
View Profile
Special user
Chicago, IL
935 Posts

Profile of wizardofsorts
I use the table found in the back of Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic. With it and my two small cases I only make one trip from the car. It folds under my arm. The one case has a strap and goes across my back and the other case goes in the other hand. I use it for every show and can't imagine not having it. I think it creates a stage area and sets me up as someone with something to show them.

Edd

Visit the Wizard of Sorts at http://www.wizardofsorts.com
Edd Fairman, Wizard of Sorts is a corporate magician available for your next trade show, hospitality suite, client luncheon, or company event. http://www.wizardofsorts.com
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
I use a Lefler table and absolutely love it. The fabric on the table prevents paint from chipping and protects the case in transport. I also like the fact that it can also hold velcro very well. This makes it ideal for putting your logo or sign on the table during any of your performances.

As Den pointed out, I am one of those prop type of magicians. I like my show to be very visual and fun for the children. I feel this table works well because I can have my props sorted out and set up behind my table. This keeps the props out of the way of the children and prevents their curiosity from causing problems with picking up things before or during the performance.

I also feel the table allows the prop or effect to be more of a surprise for the children. It is not out there in the beginning of the show and therefore is not a visual distraction during the performance. By having my props in the table and out of the way, I can control focus to myself and the routine I am presenting.

I also like the table because it breaks down to a suitcase format with caster wheels and a handle. This makes loading in and out of the party a simple matter. It also allows me to always have my tricks set up and stored ready to go for the next performance.

Just my opinion on the subject.
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
For my Library shows I use a large rollon suitcase type table I built. It is used to transport and store props more than it is used as a table in the show. It is large and it gives the show some stability and framing as half the table top holdsprops that are there just to add atmosphere and decoration.

For the average home show I use a nice vintage wooden folding chair. This holds my leather valise and I have made a little table surface that clips onto the top of the chair. I also have a little wire shelf that clips on the back of the chair to hold ropes and a couple of other props I need speedy access to. I have a Harbin table with me if I need an additional surface to work with.

This allows me to arrive with everything I need to perform with in hand, can stage the show in a very small footprint. and can set up and break down in less than a minute.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
wizardofsorts
View Profile
Special user
Chicago, IL
935 Posts

Profile of wizardofsorts
Payne,
The Chair idea is great. Wish I had thought of it.

Edd

Visit the Wizard of Sorts at http://www.wizardofsorts.com
Edd Fairman, Wizard of Sorts is a corporate magician available for your next trade show, hospitality suite, client luncheon, or company event. http://www.wizardofsorts.com
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
I don't use a table. I used to. I don't really seem to need it. I was thinking about getting one again but it would have to be just right to be worth having.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2003-09-10 18:34, wizardofsorts wrote:
Payne,
The Chair idea is great. Wish I had thought of it.

Edd

You can find the type of chair I use on E-bay from time to time.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
I saw a cute table recently which had screw- on legs that looked like giant crayons.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Table Talk (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL