The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Iconic film characters that could have been played by someone else (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5842 Posts

Profile of motown
On the Adventure's of Robin Hood DVD it was mentioned that the studio wanted Cagney to play Robin until they had a contract dispute. Just couldn't picture that. "All right you dirty rat Sheriff, I'm going to drill you with arrows, see."
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1171 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2011-11-22 14:27, critter wrote:
I'd have cast Adrien Brody. That guy looks like Sherlock.

Good call on Brody. Or as one standup comic put it, he looks like God (screwed) up the first time he tried to make Andy Garcia.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2517 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2011-11-22 15:32, Chessmann wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-11-22 13:50, critter wrote:
I always pictured Watson as a slightly fat guy. Not out of shape fat, old-timey fat.

Old-timey fat... Do you mean old & fat (like Nigel Bruce) or younger and fat?

Doesn't have to be old. You know, kind of a solid-ish fat, as opposed to a sloppy fat.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers

"This I offer in explanation of how it was that I found myself in my undergarments as I sat in my cell attempting to plot my escape."
~Professor Phineas Valeyard, Miskatonic University Dept.of Psychodynamic Natural History.

New Facebook Page:
https://www.facebook.com/Valeyard-Magic-Stage-233226717588438/
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3983 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:
On 2011-11-22 15:45, motown wrote:
On the Adventure's of Robin Hood DVD it was mentioned that the studio wanted Cagney to play Robin until they had a contract dispute. Just couldn't picture that. "All right you dirty rat Sheriff, I'm going to drill you with arrows, see."

"Hello, Gisbrourne (Basil Rathbone), whaddaya say, whaddya know?"
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2517 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2011-11-22 17:02, critter wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
I always pictured Watson as a slightly fat guy. Not out of shape fat, old-timey fat.

Doesn't have to be old. You know, kind of a solid-ish fat, as opposed to a sloppy fat.

Like TR, but more British.
~Will Rogers

"This I offer in explanation of how it was that I found myself in my undergarments as I sat in my cell attempting to plot my escape."
~Professor Phineas Valeyard, Miskatonic University Dept.of Psychodynamic Natural History.

New Facebook Page:
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1171 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2011-11-22 17:05, critter wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-11-22 17:02, critter wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Like TR, but more British.

Exactly.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2699 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
John Belushi was supposed to be Venkman in "Ghostbusters."
"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Rafael Sabatini, Scaramouche
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Before "The Godfather" was released I had already read the book. The only actor I could picture at the time playing Don Corleone was Anthony Quinn. I remember laughing when I heard they had cast Marlon Brando for the role.

Now I can't imagine anyone BUT Brando as the godfather.

Bob
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4736 Posts

Profile of landmark
Maybe not as crazy as it sounds--When the Broadway play A Streetcar Named Desire--which made Brando a star--went on National tour, the Brando part was played by...Anthony Quinn! And in the 1952 movie, Viva Zapata, Quinn, who was up for the title role, ended up playing the brother of Brando's Zapata.

Anthony Quinn--what a great, and in my opinion, under-rated artist.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Quinn
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Bela Lugosi did test footage for "Frankenstein" (1931), but turned the role down because it was a non-speaking part.
Ironically, he was cast as the monster for "Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man," originally as a speaking part (Ygor, Bela's character in "Son of Frankenstein" and "Ghost of Frankenstein" had had his brain transferred to the monster's skull in the latter film).
At the premiere, however, Lugosi's lines got so many bad laughs, the film was edited, leaving him in a 'non-speaking role.'
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3983 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:
On 2011-11-23 20:03, Steve_Mollett wrote:
Bela Lugosi did test footage for "Frankenstein" (1931), but turned the role down because it was a non-speaking part.
Ironically, he was cast as the monster for "Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man," originally as a speaking part (Ygor, Bela's character in "Son of Frankenstein" and "Ghost of Frankenstein" had had his brain transferred to the monster's skull in the latter film).
At the premiere, however, Lugosi's lines got so many bad laughs, the film was edited, leaving him in a 'non-speaking role.'

I also heard that those who watched Lugosi's test footage were in stitches laughing.

But who else could have played Ygor so well...!
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2639 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
I was considered for the nerdy kid in a classroom scene in the critically acclaimed The Hottie and the Naughty starring Paris Hilton, but ultimately the role went to...well, obviously you know.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2517 Posts

Profile of critter
Apparently, several people had been cast at various points in time for the lead role in Total Recall. One of these was Patrick Swayze.
~Will Rogers

New Facebook Page:
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Quote:
On 2011-11-23 20:34, Chessmann wrote:
Quote:

I also heard that those who watched Lugosi's test footage were in stitches laughing.

Yep. My two favorite Lugosi roles were Ygor, and Murder Legendre (White Zombie).
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1171 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2011-11-23 21:06, Andrew Zuber wrote:
I was considered for the nerdy kid in a classroom scene in the critically acclaimed The Hottie and the Naughty starring Paris Hilton, but ultimately the role went to...well, obviously you know.

Wow, 1.9 on IMDB. Clearly, they should have cast you!

critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2517 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2011-11-25 12:30, Steve_Mollett wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-11-23 20:34, Chessmann wrote:
Quote:

Yep. My two favorite Lugosi roles were Ygor, and Murder Legendre (White Zombie).

White Zombie is great. I love the sugar zombies at the beginning, falling in the sugar vat.
~Will Rogers

New Facebook Page:
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2699 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2011-11-22 05:07, motown wrote:
Gary Grant turned down James Bond or was rejected because he only wanted to do 2 pictures.

Burt Reynolds turned down One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest.

George Raft turned down several big roles that went to Bogart and made him a big star.

In his autobio, Burt claims a key sequence in "Deliverence" was cut because they were shifting the second half of the movie from his character to the third guy (not Ned Betty!) He felt bad about it but understood from the point of view of the film and believed that another role would come along that he would get a chance to "shine" in... and he turned down "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest?"

OTOH, he's also sworn blind that he turned down James Bond and I just can't see the production company considering him for that!
"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Rafael Sabatini, Scaramouche
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Iconic film characters that could have been played by someone else (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL