The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » They shouldn have gotten the part . . . (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4734 Posts

Profile of landmark
Sometimes a movie is made without the person who originally made the vehicle a hit; I'm thinking for example of My Fair Lady made without Julie Andrews. She was not yet a big enough box office draw according the producers, and so the part went to the miscast Audrey Hepburn. What other examples of movies (maybe sequels?) where an actor was robbed of her/his rightful due?
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1171 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Replacing Carlos Gallardo with Antonio Banderas for Desperado (after Gallardo, in his criminal debut, made El Mariachi a critically acclaimed masterpiece and cult favorite) was just wrong.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5691 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Not a Movie but a TV Series...

Kung Fu.

Bruce Lee came up with the concept and he should have been Kwai Chang Caine, period.

Now there was a missed opportunity for greatness if there ever was one, seriously.
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2514 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2011-11-22 13:13, Pakar Ilusi wrote:

Kung Fu.

Bruce Lee came up with the concept and he should have been Kwai Chang Caine, period.

Now there was a missed opportunity for greatness if there ever was one, seriously.

The Iron Circle too. Though I think Bruce was going to play the part of Cord, not the part Carradine played.
I liked Iron Circle, and I liked Kung Fu, but to see Bruce in them would have been something amazing.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers

"This I offer in explanation of how it was that I found myself in my undergarments as I sat in my cell attempting to plot my escape."
~Professor Phineas Valeyard, Miskatonic University Dept.of Psychodynamic Natural History.

New Facebook Page:
https://www.facebook.com/Valeyard-Magic-Stage-233226717588438/
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5691 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2011-11-22 13:48, critter wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-11-22 13:13, Pakar Ilusi wrote:

Kung Fu.

The Iron Circle too. Though I think Bruce was going to play the part of Cord, not the part Carradine played.
I liked Iron Circle, and I liked Kung Fu, but to see Bruce in them would have been something amazing.

That it would.

Well, we can always daydream can't we... Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2514 Posts

Profile of critter
I actually used to have the novelization of The Iron Circle (aka the Silent Flute) and it said on the first page: "Based on a story by Bruce Lee."
~Will Rogers

"This I offer in explanation of how it was that I found myself in my undergarments as I sat in my cell attempting to plot my escape."
~Professor Phineas Valeyard, Miskatonic University Dept.of Psychodynamic Natural History.

New Facebook Page:
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
541 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
I don't know if it would have made a better film, but Joe Mantegna won a Tony award for his portryal of Ricky Roma in the stage production of "Glenngarry Glennross" but wasn't offered the role in the film.

Al Pacino was originally offered the role in the stage production but turned it down. Still, he got the first shot at the film role and that time he accepted it. Pretty much the same as the as the Julie Andrews thing, Al Pacino was a huge star and Joe Mantegna wasn't.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1171 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:

Part(singular)?!

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2514 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2011-11-22 16:54, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:

Part(singular)?!

Meant the main one. Blind Beggar. But, really, any of them. In the book I think they were all different aspects of the same character, all teaching Cord a different lesson. Might be remembering wrong.

Also odd that I typed "The Iron Circle" a bunch of times when I meant "Circle of Iron," though I actually like the "Silent Flute" title best.

I need a vacation.
~Will Rogers

New Facebook Page:
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1171 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
I knew what you meant...just being funny.

For those unfamiliar, Carradine has 4(!!) roles in the film.

critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2514 Posts

Profile of critter
If I miss funny then I really need a vacation!
~Will Rogers

New Facebook Page:
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1171 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Nah, you're ok...it wasn't that funny.

Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5699 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
In the original The Music Man, Professor Harold Hill was played by Robert Preston and in the remake it was Mathew Broadrick. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!?!?!?!
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4734 Posts

Profile of landmark
Robert Preston did the original movie after making the part his on Broadway. As for the remake with Matthew Broderick--well epic miscasting deserves a whole thread of its own!
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Richard Burton, Julie Andrews and Robert Goulet were the leads in the original Broadway production of Camelot. In the movie version their roles went to Richard Harris, Vanessa Redgrave and Franco Nero (!) respectively. Miscast from top to bottom.

Good thoughts,

Bob
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
Seems to be a theme with movie musicals...they cast names to draw people in, but end up dubbing over their singing voices. Peter O'Toole in Man of La Mancha though Richard Kiley originated the role on Broadway. Then you have instances where they don't overdub...like with The Phantom of the Opera. Hugh Jackman was supposed to get the role of Phantom (as was Michael Crawford, John Travolta, Antonio Banderas...) but was busy with X-Men at the time. At least he got his start on the Australian and London stage before being a movie star. He's supposed to star opposite Russel Crowe in the adaptation of Les Misérables. I cringe at that one.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4734 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On 2011-11-22 18:49, mastermindreader wrote:
Richard Burton, Julie Andrews and Robert Goulet were the leads in the original Broadway production of Camelot. In the movie version their roles went to Richard Harris, Vanessa Redgrave and Franco Nero (!) respectively. Miscast from top to bottom.

Good thoughts,

Bob

Eek. Richard Harris, okay, but Vanessa Redgrave instead of Julie Andrews?? That's an epic fail!
And what about Lucille Ball instead of Angela Lansbury as Mame!
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
I couldn't believe they used Franco Nero - who couldn't sing at all - instead of Robert Goulet, whose rendition of "If Ever I Would Leave You" as Lancelot had become a hit before the movie was made.

I agree that Landsbury was the better choice for Mame, but at least Lucy could sing and had starred in the Broadway show musical "Wildcat" (1960), in which she sang the soon to be classic "Hey, Look Me Over." Pretty impressive. Here's a clip of her performing a scene from the show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5V2z1nSrtkI

Good thoughts,

Bob
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
I don't care that Don Adams was dead and Barbra Feldon 200 years old - they were robbed by the clowns that impersonated them in the Get Smart movie - the producers should have dug Don up and put Barbra in a walker - they had style, charisma and unique characters - the stars of the movie must have spent a lot of time on the casting couch.

I think Shirley MacLaine got her big break when she replaced Gwen Verdon who'd made the role her own in Sweet Charity.
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
I didn't like Michael Gambon as Dumbledore in the Harry Potter sequels. They should have held out until after "Troy" was in the can, and signed on Peter O'Toole.

Anna May Wong should have been Fah Loh Suee in "The Mask of Fu Manchu" (MGM, 1932) instead of Myrna Loy.

While Bela Lugosi was unavailable for "House of Frankenstein" and "House of Dracula", John Carradine was mediocre casting as Dracula. Eduardo Cianelli or Vincent Price would have been a better choice.
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » They shouldn have gotten the part . . . (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL