The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Something Simple...Right? -- Sl**v* Bouquet (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Drosselmeyer
View Profile
Regular user
West Hollywood, CA
113 Posts

Profile of Drosselmeyer
OK,
This should be simple right?
I use a simple bouquet as my "opener"...

Storyline:
When Drosselmeyer enters, he greets the father and mother, introduces his nephew and then magically produces a bouquet of flowers that is he hands to the nephew to present to Clara"

This is my fifth year doing the act, but I still am not satisfied or confident in how I produce the flowers. Up to this point, I have been producing it from a Top Hat. Sometimes it goes OK...sometimes disasterous! There is that strong memory of two years ago that makes me break out in a sweat: Our Congressman is in the audience with his family for the show...I produce the flowers, but it is caught and I practically tear off my tuxedo...but the flowers appear!! (100% True)

This year I plan to try a silk presentation rather than a Top Hat presentation. Any advice re: proper set-up and how I can practice this to make it "silky" smooth?

Thanks in advance!
Regards,
--Drosselmeyer
Regards,

--Drosselmeyer
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Are you using Feathered Flowers? If not, what type of flowers?
Drosselmeyer
View Profile
Regular user
West Hollywood, CA
113 Posts

Profile of Drosselmeyer
I am using a feather bouquet....

( well, this one exactly: http://www.abramagicshop.com/flower-magi......c-trick/ It is described as a cloth flower bouquet, but it is feathered if you ask me. )

Not realistic flowers by any means, but a reasonable facsimile for our purposes.

Regards,
--Drosselmeyer
Regards,

--Drosselmeyer
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
You might consider some realistic spring flowers that form a bouquet when opened (The Wizards' Journal #14 - "Flower Power"). The flowers pack flat, either in a top hat or in a bundle to be produced from a silk or a paper cone (The Wizards' Journal #21 "Flowers that Bloom With a Spring" - the e-Book shows the Holmes method of flowers from cone). Since the flowers are not up your sleeve, you should not run the risk of losing an arm in the process. Poinsettias should be large enough to be seen from stage, and fit with the Christmas theme of the play.

You might also want to check out The Wizards' Journal #15 for the "Nutcracker Sentry Box," designed by Jim Gerrish for use in a production of that Ballet.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Send a private message or email to Richard Hughes. He is a member here: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/bb_pr......ser=3919 He is the king when it comes to flower productions and making them. Be sure to ask him for the link to his video. Good luck.
Drosselmeyer
View Profile
Regular user
West Hollywood, CA
113 Posts

Profile of Drosselmeyer
Thank you all for the good info and offers for off-line advice. I will write!

Synopsis of my current plan is:

Drosselmeyer enters.
Greets Mom and Dad.
Introduces Nephew.
With florish, removes Top Hat and Cape. Hand both to Nephew. (aka--Assistant)
Rose Buttoneer to Silk.
Silk produces bouquet.
Hand bouquet to Nephew. Nephew gives bouquet to Clara. (foreshadows Clara and Nutcracker in Act II)
Silk stuffed in tux breast pocket.
Call all the kids over to sit on floor.
Nephew returns to my side with Hat and Cape.
Magic Show for Kids.
Vernet Flowers -- drop in Hat
Silk from tux pocket covers Hat
Flowers vanish from Hat
Vanish the Silk (TT)
Ask two parents at the party to go off stage for my "Box from the Orient" (magic trunk variant?)
Wheeled on
Produce three live size Dolls w/ Pyro flash from the curtained box(3 dancers)
Ta Da!!

I need to strenghten/clean up my technique on the sleeve bouquet, vernet flowers, and palming / misdirection and I might have something that passes for semi-professional magic!! Right now I feel like I am struggling through and although my audience is very enthusiastic and gracious, I want to give them more.

Regards,
--Drosselmeyer

Posted: Nov 27, 2011 2:48pm
Working thru Wizard's 14 and 21. Great stuff! Highly recommended...if you are a Newbie like me... Purchase and download these!
Regards,
Drosselmeyer

Posted: Nov 30, 2011 9:09pm
Wizard's 14 and 21 help me nail it. The technique outlined works very well. I practiced a couple of nights. Used a wooden spoon instead of my bouquet to save on the wear and tear. Then donned the monkey suit and demo'ed for the wife last night.

Her face said it all! Now, keep in mind that she helps me prep for performances and knows all of the tricks that are in my act. So, to see her reaction to my new Sleeve Bouquet technique was awesome!

Thank you folks! Thank you Magic Café!

Now, on to the next improvement...can anyone tell me a really good way to secure in the Sleeve? It can't just be placed there...it needs to be fairly secure so that I can move around on stage a bit before producing. I am thinking about sewing stem in the cuff with a break-away loop or a sleeve inside sleeve...like a storage tube.

Regards,
--Drosselmeyer
Regards,

--Drosselmeyer
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
The sleeve in a sleeve sounds like it might work. Don't be afraid to shorten the stem if you have to. Most magicians never do that because their flowers are so expensive, so they just struggle with standard lengths meant for standard arms when they have individual and unique arm lengths. And who says you have to have a big ring on the end? You might nget by with a smaller ring or none at all. I mean, if you can do it with a wooden spoon, what's to stop you?
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2011-11-30 21:09, Drosselmeyer wrote:
Now, on to the next improvement...can anyone tell me a really good way to secure in the Sleeve? It can't just be placed there...it needs to be fairly secure so that I can move around on stage a bit before producing. I am thinking about sewing stem in the cuff with a break-away loop or a sleeve inside sleeve...like a storage tube.

Use Abbotts Bouquet Holder Body: http://www.abbottmagic.com/Abbotts-Bouqu......body.htm
Drosselmeyer
View Profile
Regular user
West Hollywood, CA
113 Posts

Profile of Drosselmeyer
Hi Spellbinder,
I have started gimmicking my tux coat this year to attempt to make my productions, sleights, and loads smoother. Just wondering if there is a standard gimmick technique for stowing the big ol' "feather duster" (hoping this level of detail/discussion is not verboten on open forum for such a basic level trick). So I guess I'll start sewing sleeves!
Thanks,
--Drosselmeyer

Posted: Nov 30, 2011 11:44pm
@Dynamike...Cool! That may be the way to go--it kind of looks like the sleeve within the sleeve that I imagined. Thank you! Do they make stuff like that for other gimmicks? I am sewing loops of black elastic in key spots.
Regards,
--Drosselmeyer
Regards,

--Drosselmeyer
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
It does have elastic in it already at one end. You might want to purchase one of those first so you can examine it real good if you want to make more. They are only $5. The larger ones are only $7.50. Abbotts' Magic Shop do sell a book about many ways of producing feather flowers, taking care of feathered flowers, etc. The author is David Ginn. It highly recommended if you prefer to produce multiple ones.

Abbotts Magic Shop makes holders for all kinds of gimmicks like balls, coins, etc.
Drosselmeyer
View Profile
Regular user
West Hollywood, CA
113 Posts

Profile of Drosselmeyer
Abbott's is recommending the large for my budget bouquet (10 blossom cloth and silk). So I will go for that. I found they have a dual clip w/integrated safety pin holder that is universal. Did not see any others. I would like to secret Vernet flower holder, Flashers, TT, and rose...so not sure how this one will work. Thanks for pointing me there.
Regards,
--Drosselmeyer
Regards,

--Drosselmeyer
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
I hope you will be able to video your portion of the scene so we can see how it turns out, even if you have to silence the music for copyright considerations.
Professor Spellbinder

Drosselmeyer
View Profile
Regular user
West Hollywood, CA
113 Posts

Profile of Drosselmeyer
I've been thinking about doing something. Does the Café have a facility for posting videos?
Regards,
--Drosselmeyer
Regards,

--Drosselmeyer
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Post it on YouTube, then post the link for us to go and visit it.
Professor Spellbinder

Drosselmeyer
View Profile
Regular user
West Hollywood, CA
113 Posts

Profile of Drosselmeyer
OK guys, I will...but it will take me a few weeks to get the video after the performances. Thanks again for the help.
Regards,
--Drosselmeyer
Regards,

--Drosselmeyer
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2011-12-01 21:51, Drosselmeyer wrote:
I've been thinking about doing something. Does the Café have a facility for posting videos?
Regards,
--Drosselmeyer

Yes. "You Oughta Be In Pictures": http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewf......17&30584
Drosselmeyer
View Profile
Regular user
West Hollywood, CA
113 Posts

Profile of Drosselmeyer
The Abbot's Holder Body is here! It is very helpful (if somewhat expensive) but the real value I think is as you say Dynamike...armed with this new info, I am thoroughly capable of customizing or making my own.It is somewhat tight for my bouquet. Flowers take a beating getting loaded and are compressed so tightly that you lose some expansion . Still a great gimmick!
Regards,

--Drosselmeyer
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7383 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I don't think you have time to do all of you need to do at this point to make it right. I provided many effects for various nutcrackers over the years.

Might I suggest that you look at some of my You tube videos. I also sell a dvd of my lecture on feather flowers at the magic Castle.

I have a different way of making a bouquet holder that works better. You can get the details off the tape. It will also help to get a good bouquet. Cheap ones are bulky and do not expand much as you have learned.

After the holidays or if you have a specific question contact me.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Drosselmeyer
View Profile
Regular user
West Hollywood, CA
113 Posts

Profile of Drosselmeyer
Thanks Richard!
What I have now is defintely an improvement over years past...so I am pleased. I am already thinking about next year...so I might be calling on you! Thanks again.
Regards,
--Drosselmeyer
Regards,

--Drosselmeyer
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22566 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Drosselmeyer, I believe the solution for your bouquet of flowers production is simply the Pat Page Feather Flower Production. This is a bare hand production that only takes an hour or so of practice.

If your flowers are losing feathers, then try losing the elastic more on the opening of the sleeve holder. As Richard Hughes said, better quality flowers will work better. Abbott's flowers and Richard Hughes flowers are some of the best in the world.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Something Simple...Right? -- Sl**v* Bouquet (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL