The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Library (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Scott Burton
View Profile
Inner circle
1131 Posts

Profile of Scott Burton
Do you believe that a person could create a top-of-the-class mentalism act from scratch just by using the information (books) available at your local library?

If "no", why not?
If "yes", why do so many of us chase the "holy grail" of new products when we already have the information at our finger tips?

I think there is a powerful psychology at work when we believe that a $29, $99, or $299 (and so on) effect or book will be better than that old ratty book that we could access free of charge. Thoughts?
timski523
View Profile
Loyal user
Bristol, England
226 Posts

Profile of timski523
I know its not a libary as such, but we have a libary at our loocal magic society, I found a book (sorry cant remeber the authors name but its somebody I did not reconize) it was dated 1948..! I had to borrow it, what amazed me is some of the info/knowledge in there is sooo curent and some of the effects using, envolopes, p***s etc would be sold today as DVD's!!
When I get home I will look at the author and let anyone know if they want.
But yes would be interested to hear response to Scotts post
david12345
View Profile
Special user
714 Posts

Profile of david12345
The way information is processed and available today makes it increasingly harder for younger people to think for themselves and limits attention spans. I am looking for a school for my almost 5 year old, private school, and the the technology the schools boast almost eliminate the need for teachers and interaction, these smart boards animate problems and solutions and all the teacher does is download a lesson. So I believe the information in the libraries are more than sufficient but its up to the individual to be able to apply the information creatively and be able to think for themselves.
david12345
View Profile
Special user
714 Posts

Profile of david12345
I meant to finish that all the new technology out there that substitutes manual technique similarly limits creativity but it is presentation not technique that makes or breaks a performer.
timski523
View Profile
Loyal user
Bristol, England
226 Posts

Profile of timski523
True. we live in a techno age, but, I find we/i have such an advantge in mentalsim over many who do not pick up and read a good old fashion book!
So many just 'get a dvd' and think that's it!! Part of me really wants to promote books to newbies but another part of me is feeling...hang on I have this advantge!!lol
david12345
View Profile
Special user
714 Posts

Profile of david12345
My point exactly timski, I myself fall in between, I read and watch.
timski523
View Profile
Loyal user
Bristol, England
226 Posts

Profile of timski523
That's good though, I watch the odd DVd but love books more, I feel they help you develop your own preformance and character. Also I am forevver finding 'little gems' which never seem to make the main stream, which is fine by me!!
The biggest danger of course of DVD's is the way people are watching them, learning the script and preformance word for word and you se them do the effect and it is Identical to the preformers on the DVD!!
Books let my imagination run wild more I think!
lol also I don't seem to have the time to sit and watch DVD's much anyway!! I have a pile of dvd's I still have not got through, Doc, Max, Looch to name a few!!
phillsmiff
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1798 Posts

Profile of phillsmiff
Quote:
On 2011-11-24 09:21, Scott Burton wrote:
Do you believe that a person could create a top-of-the-class mentalism act from scratch just by using the information (books) available at your local library?

No / yes. No, I don't think you could do it entirely from scratch from the library - Yes, I do think a skilled performer could create a powerful and engaging act using just the basic effects learnt from books in the library. In doing so though they would be mentally drawing in influences from all the other books they have read and of course from their own experiences on stage. The effects may be strong (and hoary old chestnuts that have endured for generations often are), but the books alone won't get you to the top of the class. That said, I think that is true about any source of material.

Phill
The new Elysian Duets, marked cards featuring my unique Optical Marking System:
-+: https://phillsmithcreative.com/products/elysian-duets :+-
Billy-one
View Profile
Inner circle
IOWA
1028 Posts

Profile of Billy-one
Assuming the library had books regarding acting, social skills, and other things important....they sure! Why not.

I was on a train from Texas to Washington state. I got entertained for over 30 minuest by a TRUE ghentelman, classy, funny, ect. ect. He was doing really bad card tricks, really well. He wasnt a magician, but he was just awesome from the inside.

Respect,
Billy

P.s. my local library has none of the aformentioned books
Scott Burton
View Profile
Inner circle
1131 Posts

Profile of Scott Burton
Very interesting points. Thank you.

I certainly didn't want to turn this into a DVD vs. books debate which has been discussed many times. Perhaps I could update the original question to include books and DVDs from the library. My premise was intended to focus on the information easily accessible to us for free that we may be de-valuing - rather than the media format upon which the information is presented.
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of seadog93
Quote:
On 2011-11-24 11:36, phillsmiff wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-11-24 09:21, Scott Burton wrote:

No / yes. No, I don't think you could do it entirely from scratch from the library - Yes, I do think a skilled performer could create a powerful and engaging act using just the basic effects learnt from books in the library. In doing so though they would be mentally drawing in influences from all the other books they have read and of course from their own experiences on stage. The effects may be strong (and hoary old chestnuts that have endured for generations often are), but the books alone won't get you to the top of the class. That said, I think that is true about any source of material.

Phill

Excellent response.
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
timski523
View Profile
Loyal user
Bristol, England
226 Posts

Profile of timski523
Oops sorry my fault!!
;-)
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12967 Posts

Profile of John C
Because for most they don't want to work. They can easily put out the sheckles to see if that will bring them to the big time. It's not about being good first and foremost its about being good at the lowest cost of effort.

Oh but there is effort but it's not spent studying, thinking and rehearsing rather it's spent buying opening and playing with.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Absolutely, John. There is no substitute for reading and studying the classics, old and more recent.

And, yes, you probably could learn enough from materials available in a public library to do a credible performance if you studied and rehearsed long enough. When I was a teenager I put together my first mentalism act from what I learned in "The Amateur Maqicians' Handbook" (which was in my Junior High School Library until I "liberated" it in a misguided effort to protect the "secrets.")

Good thoughts,

Bob
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Library (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL