We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Keeping Ice Cubes (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18560 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Any tips on keeping 3 or 4 ice cubes in your close up case for a short time?
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
MuleePete
View Profile
Loyal user
272 Posts

Profile of MuleePete
Dry Ice in an insulated container, plastic sheet to keep from contacting ice cubes.
Perhaps a piece of 1 1/2 to 2" PVC with caps. Cut length as needed for 3 or 4 cubes. Could be wraped in terry cloth towl or the like.

MuleePete
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2229 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Mulee Pete has great ideas. The important thing to know is that not all ice cubes are the same temperature. It doesn't matter how cold they are as long as they don't heat up past 32°. The goal is to initially freeze them as cold as you can get them until you absolutely must put them into working position. At that point if you can keep them surrounded with dry ice all the better but try to create some sort of insulated container that is capped if possible. You do need to be aware that if you're using dry ice, it does expand as it melts and turns into a gaseous state. Keep the lid on a little loose lest it turns into a projectile in your pocket.

I did always wonder about the old Malini stories with his plastic lined pocket and the number of times he let the block of ice melt because the moment wasn't quite right!
Ray Pierce
<BR>www.HollywoodAerialArts.com
MuleePete
View Profile
Loyal user
272 Posts

Profile of MuleePete
Over looked the pressure build up, thanks Ray. Excelant point to start with as cold a cube as possible.

Could be a 1/32 hole would allow pressure relief and minimize any leakage.

When I was stationed at NAS Barbers Point Hi. I found dry ice would keep ice cream frozen for 5 to 7 hours if I placed it around the sides of the ice chest, and bottom and the party goers would close the lid on the ice chest.

With the spray rubber avliable, just about any pocket could be waterproofed and maintain flexability.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11157 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
What size ice cubes, and for how long? Here's an idea... Find one of those short Styrofoam cups that restaurants use for sauces, side dishes, etc. Add a piece of thick insulating fabric to the lid piece to minimize heat reaching the ice from there.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18560 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Thanks, when I get the project along will work out what y'all mentioned that suits my need.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21870 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Check out Michael Ammar early work for his Card in Ice Cube effect called "The Ice Man Cometh". In his Command or Encore booklets. They are stored away, so the exact title is not at my fingertips.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
Alikzam
View Profile
Elite user
433 Posts

Profile of Alikzam
Larger ice cubes melt slower than smaller ones too. They make large ice cube trays for brandy (the alcohol).
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Keeping Ice Cubes (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL