The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Tarology by Enrique Enriquez (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

sgrossberg
View Profile
Special user
Southern California
739 Posts

Profile of sgrossberg
Just got news from Enrique that this can now be formally announced:

http://www.amazon.com/Tarology-Enrique-E......3&sr=8-1

I don't believe it has shipped, yet. However, here is the blurb from Amazon:

In TAROLOGY Enrique Enriquez sees the Tarot de Marseille through the prism and science of pataphysics, the science of imaginary solutions. By following into the footsteps of Oulipian writers, he applies the idea of constraint and the rule of restriction to the surprisingly visual and gestural nature of Tarot. The result is not only illuminating but also enriching for all those interested in the history of Tarot and its divinatory practices. Enriquez develops a whole new method of reading cards, which combines careful considerations of chance with choice. By using a phenomenological and constructivist approach to the cards, Enriquez shows how the Tarot de Marseille speaks poetry and thus reveals some of our deepest concerns with language, with what we can say when we are at a loss for words. --- "In TAROLOGY, going from pataphysics to poetry, Enrique Enriquez PERFORMS tarot in a way that is marvelously free of cultural preconditioning to the workings of myth and symbol, while at the same time proposing following the rules of 'watch and learn', 'keep it simple', 'stay on track', 'be surprised', 'be fearless', and 'let the image talk the walk'. This is no small achievement." (Camelia Elias, Professor of American Studies and Tarot de Marseille Reader)
MovieMan
View Profile
Special user
569 Posts

Profile of MovieMan
Is this for people who buy into the idea that the tarot can correctly predict stuff, or does it teach techniques such as cold reading?
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4207 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
Quote:
On 2011-11-25 17:21, MovieMan wrote:
Is this for people who buy into the idea that the tarot can correctly predict stuff, or does it teach techniques such as cold reading?

Both I suspect...Enrique is a very unique thinker and his approach to seeing meaning in various symbols is refreshing and very very cool.
Dare I say beautiful?....yes it is beautiful.
MovieMan
View Profile
Special user
569 Posts

Profile of MovieMan
Quote:
On 2011-11-25 23:03, Eddie Garland wrote:
Quote:

Both I suspect...Enrique is a very unique thinker and his approach to seeing meaning in various symbols is refreshing and very very cool.

Thanks.

Seems like a combination I would personally stay away from. I don't believe in deluding people to make them think there are such things as actual psychic/fortunetelling/palmreading/tarot-reading powers, or that I, or anyone else, actually possesses these, and from the description this book sounds like it might be geared to those who do want to present this as being real.

Not for me.
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2501 Posts

Profile of ddyment
Note the definition of "pataphysics":
Quote:
NOUN:
The French absurdist concept of a philosophy or science dedicated to studying what lies beyond the realm of metaphysics, intended as a parody of the methods and theories of modern science and often expressed in nonsensical language.
The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More :: (order "Calculated Thoughts" from Vanishing Inc.)
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
A good book is one that had you nodding while you read it, and smiling when you put it down.

A great book is one that has you shaking your head, scratching it, or even banging it against the wall. It leaves you still thinking about it, long after you have put it down.

Enrique writes 'great' books.

Tony Iacoviello
john-pears
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of john-pears
An amazing new work from a glorious mind in the poetry of tarot.
john-pears
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of john-pears
Quote:
On 2011-11-26 12:34, john-pears wrote:
An amazing new work from a glorious mind in the poetry of tarot.

By the way, I don't have this book yet, but I have some previous Enrique´s work and I really enjoy it. I assume that must be good Smile .
sgrossberg
View Profile
Special user
Southern California
739 Posts

Profile of sgrossberg
Perhaps these spectacular clips from Chris' documentary about Enrique say it all:

http://vimeo.com/21418482
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
The book arrived this week, I'm hoping to get to it this weekend. It looks amazing.

Tony
VernonOnCoins
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1979 Posts

Profile of VernonOnCoins
Thanks for mention, Scott.

The book is fantastic. It is filled with essays, poetry, and philosophical musings. It is also beautifully produced. If you're looking for a unique approach to the tarot, this is it. Enrique is a very deep thinker. He's a VISUAL thinker.
VernonOnCoins
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1979 Posts

Profile of VernonOnCoins
Quick announcement :

Tarology DVD's are in stock and ready to ship

http://www.tarologyfilm.com
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4935 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
I look at the tarot not as a read for the future but as a read for the present. An imagination trigger.
James

Quote:
On 2011-11-26 02:51, MovieMan wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-11-25 23:03, Eddie Garland wrote:
Quote:

Thanks.

Seems like a combination I would personally stay away from. I don't believe in deluding people to make them think there are such things as actual psychic/fortunetelling/palmreading/tarot-reading powers, or that I, or anyone else, actually possesses these, and from the description this book sounds like it might be geared to those who do want to present this as being real.

Not for me.
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2674 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
I always find it amusing that people would prefer to fool people into thinking they know all about them using cold reading, instead of actually doing a real reading.

And that's coming from me!

What people who want to study cold reading always fail to understand is that to understand the whole field you need to study everything, even stuff you feel uncomfortable with. You need to learn from the shut eyes, the 'psychics', the scientists, the psychologists and everything inbetween. Otherwise you're never going to get a grip and are always going to sound pretty *** stupid.

However with Enrique's stuff you never feel uncomfortable, and your perceptions of what a reading actually is could fundamentally change. People like Enrique (and many other noteables on these boards and in this thread) are used to the hazy grey areas and because they understand them, they are able to explain what is going on in our own minds and in those of others.

Miss this kind of stuff at your peril. It's incredibly interesting, thought provoking and useful in so many ways it goes beyond readings, mentalism and magic. It's a way of seeing the world as purely symbolic.

Which it is.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On 2011-11-26 11:28, Tony Iacoviello wrote:
A good book is one that had you nodding while you read it, and smiling when you put it down.

A great book is one that has you shaking your head, scratching it, or even banging it against the wall. It leaves you still thinking about it, long after you have put it down.

Enrique writes 'great' books.

Tony Iacoviello

Yes, Tony is correct.

Once at a magic convention around 2 am while everyone else was crashing Armando Lucero walked into the bar area and performed his coin matrix. Several top pros were watching, I do believe Chad Long was one. Most of us were not shaking our heads up and down instead we were moving them sideways as if NO WAY!! It was a phenomenon. Never seen it before. I was behind Armando and everyone else was watching from the front so I could see all these heads going sideways. It was great.

John
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
I find this really interesting and will be gettig this.

Ray
VernonOnCoins
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1979 Posts

Profile of VernonOnCoins
We assembled a short version of Tarology for mainstream festivals and review sites

Here is Film Threat's review of Tarology: http://www.filmthreat.com/reviews/52639/

Copies of DVD are now shipping worldwide...
VernonOnCoins
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1979 Posts

Profile of VernonOnCoins
Another fantastic review of Tarology. DVD's are shipping worldwide:

http://theworldoftarot.wordpress.com/201......f-tarot/
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Tarology by Enrique Enriquez (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL