We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Performing while sick (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3286 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Quote:
On 2011-11-27 04:27, BIGmagiclV wrote:

(For those of you who not only have a stick up their butt but can tell me what kind of wood it is

I didn’t know you were a Ventriloquist
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3286 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Quote:
On 2011-11-26 23:33, Al Angello wrote:
They cut my sternum in half, opened my chest like a can of tuna, and when they finished they closed my rib cage, and held my chest together with a couple of staples.

Al;

I know you were heartless, I just didn’t know how you lost it, now that you explained it, I understand LOL
wizardpa
View Profile
Inner circle
The New Orleans area
1011 Posts

Profile of wizardpa
I've never missed a show in the 4 years I've been doing magic since I retired from my Post Office job.

I do get a cough due to allergies that is sometimes quite annoying. I'll mention before my show that I'm not sick, I just have a cough due to allergies. I do not want anyone thinking they'll catch a cold from me.

It's weird though, I somehow have managed to get done with my 20 minute ventriloquist routine without my puppet having to cough.
BIGmagiclV
View Profile
Veteran user
374 Posts

Profile of BIGmagiclV
Quote:
On 2011-11-27 08:57, Al Angello wrote:
BigMagicIV
I like a magician with a sense of humor good luck my friend.

How many of you have started a show sick as a dog, and as long as you are performing all of your symptoms disappear until the show is over, and then you are instantly sick again?

Thanks, Al. One thing...you called me bigmagic IV instead of LV. was that intended, seeing as I was sick enough to need an IV? Smile
If so, kudos! If not...kudos anyway!
Tony James
View Profile
Inner circle
Cheshire UK
1398 Posts

Profile of Tony James
You get out and do it. Like all the pros I've known. As Al said, the adrenaline kicks in and for reasons I have never really understood, once you start the pain vanishes till you have finished and then it hits you again. By that time, you are homeward bound and a bit richer!

Reserve your concerns for the little tot usually sat front right, coughing and sneezing and liable to pass on to you an even worse dread disease. Somehow they not only survive these viruses but are soon up and running about none the worse whilst you are back in bed feeling even worse than death.

I haven't known any professional children's entertainer - including myself - who hasn't spent most of their Christmases in bed. It's an occupational hazard.
Tony James

Still A Child At Heart
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3725 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Did 2 Halloween shows while suffering from pneumonia, which I'm JUST NOW getting rid of.

Steve
Bernie Balloons
View Profile
Elite user
N.Y.C.
480 Posts

Profile of Bernie Balloons
I almost cut my right pointer finger off on a Thursday night in the month of May . My friend managed that night to get all of my communion shows covered except one for a guy I work with sister.I showed up on that Saturday with my hand wrapped up and in a splint from my fingers to my elbow.My wife had to hold my tricks during the show while I did the talking. My customer was a bit upset that I was not dressed like a magician for the show. Now mind you I had on dress shoes and socks ,tuxedo pants, and a top hat my shirt was a white short sleeve button down dress shirt. She was mad I did not have on a tuxedo shirt??? I tried to tell her I could not fit my arm in the shirt because of the splint and she did not care. Some people are weird.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
If you are not contageous, you do the show. It is as simple as that. I have shown up with pneumonia, broken leg, broken shoulder, I even did three months of shows with severely damaged vocal chords. I had to bring a small PA even for the tiny parties. The worst was when I blew a pyro flash before a show, burning my arm badly. I had to go on - and do a straitjacket escape - with my arm oozing, and a wonderful smell of roast pork.

I remember seeing Harry Blackstone performing at a convention in Limerick a year before he died. He had cancer, he had injured his back in a fall from a horse, and he was recovering from pneumonia. He went on and did a wonderful hour, came off the stage and collapsed. A true showman. No bailing out with him.

I am surprised some people suggested blowing off the gigs.
Leland
View Profile
Inner circle
St Louis
1180 Posts

Profile of Leland
It's funny how during the show I don't feel the pain but as soon as I get home I crawl into bed... zzzzzzzzzzzz.
Life of Magic!
ldl1017
View Profile
Elite user
478 Posts

Profile of ldl1017
Never missed a show due to illness. It's never been that bad. Hopefully I never will (knock on wood).
“I am, as I've said, merely competent. But in an age of incompetence, that makes me extraordinary.”
Billy Joel
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Last year I got sick while driving. I was headed for two shows. I felt very hot, weak and dizzy. I felt like I was ready to pass out at times. I cut back my length of time from staying around someone. At my second show I did do the magic, but my client wanted to cancel my second hour with the balloons because she could tell I was sick. It was a church event. The first one was a house.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Performing while sick (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL