The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Small Business Saturday (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11158 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
For anyone unaware, Small Business Saturday is a grassroots effort conveniently positioned between Black Friday and Cyber Monday, to support small businesses within your own community (or elsewhere, should you happen to not be home).

Did anyone here do something to participate? I bought a 36" dragon silk that I probably don't really need from our local costume and magic shop. Just trying to keep a few more greenbacks in circulation.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
Well, I didn't support any small businesses on Saturday, however, I did support them on Friday. My local magic shop was having a 30% off your entire purchase sale for Black Friday, so I bought yet more books...it's a disease, really.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11158 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Glad to hear you are part of the effort, Josh! I don't think you lose any points by supporting small business on Friday as opposed to Saturday, and it sounds like you got a great deal. Consider it a disease we might all benefit from.

I think the main point of SBS is to bring focus to a very important part of our economy. In my case, I'm sure I could quite easily find things online for a much lower price than I pay for them locally. But, by supporting the local businesses, magic shops or otherwise, helps keep them in business, and some of your neighbors in a job. I think of it as "taking one for the team". I don't buy a lot, but that's because I'm not really a wealthy man. Ha! But given a choice, it's easy to recognize a wise decision.

Keeping a sizable portion of the spendable cash close to home, helps insure that there are others in your own area that are likely to do the same thing. That in itself can be very helpful to entertainers like us, many of whom rely on the local economy for their livelihood. Spend with them, and they are more likely to spend with us.

Even though the Christmas season is a sizable peg on which to hang such efforts to keep the economy from stagnating, it is something that can be done all through the year, as well. A little effort goes a long way when combined with the efforts of others.

Of course, this is not a complete cure for our economic woes, but it's one important thing the average guy can do.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
I continued to do my part, on Saturday, by taking my car in to a local repair shop. Thankfully, nothing major was needed. I did fall short and buy groceries at Walmart (I don't think there are any "Mon & Pop" grocery shops around). Supporting small businesses is a good thing to do anyway, year round if you can help it. The town I used to live in had a used bookstore (several actually), and I would regularly purchase Broad Art dust jacket covers there; my concern for dust jackets brought a disturbing amount of elation to the hippie girl behind the counter.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11158 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
There is actually a Mom & Pop grocery here in town. It burned down last Christmas, but is being rebuilt with plans to reopen in December. There are a couple locally-owned meat markets, too. There are a couple of local hardware stores. Even though some have franchise affiliations, I still consider them to be within the genre.

Obviously, there are plenty of restaurants that qualify, as well as wine and liquor stores, specialty stores, and so on.

I too, give a chunk of my money to Wal Mart and some other big corporate stores, but it's hard not to. I just try to support local when I can. It's better than nothing, eh?

Glad to hear the hippie girl is into safe books.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Small Business Saturday (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL