The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Patter (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

granterg
View Profile
Special user
593 Posts

Profile of granterg
I'm just wondering people's thoughts on the subject of patter.

Is patter for a one and a half hour show simply a script that was memorized by the performer?

If so, is this similar to how a movie actress memorizes her lines?

granterg
Mike Ince
View Profile
Inner circle
2041 Posts

Profile of Mike Ince
Patter - n.

1. The jargon of a particular group; cant.
2. Glib rapid speech, as of an auctioneer, salesperson, or comedian.
3. Meaningless talk; chatter.

That's taken from a free online dictionary. Other definitions online are similar.

A movie actress memorizes her lines so they sound conversational and real. A movie actress doesn't interact with an audience though, only with other actors whose responses are also scripted.

A live performer memorizes the script to her show and improvises off that script, leaving plenty of room for real and spontaneous interaction, or at least several pre-scripted responses that can be made to sound spontaneous depending on what the audience says or does. But, yes, the performer carefully writes each moment and memorizes the entire script. Like a jazz singer, she can improvise off the memorized tune because she knows where it's going. For her to improvise without having heard the song before or looked at the sheet music... that could make a terrible performance.

An auctioneer, salesperson or a (bad) comedian doesn't interact with an audience, he talks AT an audience. Even if he asks a question, it doesn't matter how it's answered, his canned "patter" response is the same. Without moments of spontaneity that makes for weak performances with some exceptions: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0FBGrtAicY

An hour and a half show? It better be really good the whole way through. Every moment must be scripted and planned. That's a long show.
The secret of deception is in making the truth seem ridiculous.
magicman29
View Profile
Inner circle
hertfordshire
1245 Posts

Profile of magicman29
I'm Glad I read this post,i always wanted to know the answer to this question
Thanks guys Smile

Kieran
granterg
View Profile
Special user
593 Posts

Profile of granterg
Thanks Mike Ince.

Have a great day.

granterg
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
What mike said...

Scripting Magic by Pete McCabe is good too...

I write everything I want to do as a third person story, then I bullet point, then I find a happy medium (refuses to make weak joke)...
I've asked to be banned
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Patter (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL