The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Ultra board or Classic Mental Epic Board? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
3697 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
The discount is 20% off, not 25%, for those who purchased the Live without a Net dvd set directly from Osterlindmysteries.ccm. So the cost for the Metnal Epic is $200.00 instead of $250.00.
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11960 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Quote:
On 2011-11-29 14:19, Sandstar wrote:
Domino,

No, I haven't seen this Osterlind video. I do own a number of his effects and DVD's, though not this particular one and I do appreciate his ability. I'm sure the Gann/Osterlind presentation does offer amazement, but did I read about the use of his card stack as part of it? It's an excellent card stack and I'm sure it's integrated in a wonderful manner. I admit that I never thought of using such a thing with Mental Epic. Also, I admit that I am not a great fan of cards. I'm not fanatical about it. I have and do use them, just not very often. And with my old brain I'm afraid card stacks in general are not a risk that I want to take. (How I wish it were not so.) By simplicity I mean having a spectator stand up, empty his pockets of change, and telling him how much was there. It doesn't get more direct than that and you can't do it as the final test with a "traditional" Epic board no matter how sleek it appears. But maybe I have misunderstood your description. (The old brain again.)

When I say these boards are odd-looking, I mean from a spectator's viewpoint. I doubt that a single person who sees us perform with one has ever experienced anything quite like a chalk or white board partitioned into six squares. I think the oddness of it is the reason many mentalists don't want to use them. IMO that's rather short-sighted, but to each his own.

I love the idea of predicting change for small shows but just wondering how it would go down for larger shows? I mean it seems people would be reluctant to count out their money with so many people present. Over thinking I suppose. Seems today mostly people are carrying only plastic also. I usually just use any number. Love the comparison of the freak shows earlier. I can see this!

D
Domino Magic
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Domino Magic
Quote:
On 2011-11-30 11:38, Decomposed wrote:

I love the idea of predicting change for small shows but just wondering how it would go down for larger shows? I mean it seems people would be reluctant to count out their money with so many people present.

Predicting change is a classic presentation. I never thought about it with Mental Epic, but have seen it many times with a swami. It's also the climax to the Steve Spill Mind Reading Goose Routine.
Sandstar
View Profile
Loyal user
232 Posts

Profile of Sandstar
Well, you're not asking people to open their wallets and spill their bills. I have done it with audiences of hundreds. Never had a problem of any kind except one time when I actually got so deep into acting the part that I forgot to operate the gimmick. Suddenly, I was covered with cold sweat with a voice in my brain screaming, "What's the matter with you, idiot? Do you think you can really read minds?"
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11960 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Quote:
On 2011-11-30 22:02, Sandstar wrote:
Well, you're not asking people to open their wallets and spill their bills. I have done it with audiences of hundreds. Never had a problem of any kind except one time when I actually got so deep into acting the part that I forgot to operate the gimmick. Suddenly, I was covered with cold sweat with a voice in my brain screaming, "What's the matter with you, idiot? Do you think you can really read minds?"

Thanks for heads up. I would just hate waiting and upseting my pacing to see who had money in the audience but it would be killer. I close with mental epic and will do so tonight.

Not many performers can top Richard's performance of it. I just watched his latest from Reno and its pretty devastating. He is funny but shows you do not need a great lpm count to be successful as a mentalist.

Decomp
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2133 Posts

Profile of jlevey
So.... how did your show go last night Decomp?

Jonathan
Jonathan
Max & Maxine Entertainment
Magicians with a touch of comedy!
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Quote:
On 2011-11-28 13:00, Domino Magic wrote:

Is the playing card finale strong? Watch the DVD. I don't think you could ask for a stronger reaction.

I have Richard's Live Without A Net dvd set. I have watched his Mental Epic performance and agree 100% with your observations!

Clarke
kennycanary
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of kennycanary
The only problem I have with the Ultra board is that it so heavy! I can't manipulate such a heavy prop with one hand. Does it really have to be so heavy? I understand that it needs to be the size it is to cover the "business" end of the effect, but a light board would make life so much easier. The bottom line is I spent over $200 on a prop that is impactical and I can't use. Smile
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
3813 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
Yup. I know this is an old thread...but I can't miss the opportunity to say that Osterlind's ME really is the perfect prop. It looks completely innocent. It won't reflect light back into the audience because it's a chalkboard. It operates flawlessly. I've performed with it hundreds of times without a single problem. Not one. The concept and design are so devastatingly simple. What can go wrong?

I've closed virtually every show with this board. It's high energy and more often than not gets the audience on its feet.

If you've watched the effect Osterlind does on Without A Net, you know this routine answers every perceived weakness of the ME routine.

Much has been said about the fact that a f*rce is required to make the effect work. But, guys, it doesn't have to be a card. I've used Director's C*t, Evo'Que -- virtually ANY for*e will work. This turns what many see as a "weakness" into a powerhouse strength.

Someone's going to say that an ME board doesn't look like anything people relate to in the real world. C'mon. It's a chalk board with six segmented areas. It's specifically designed to be used in this particular "demonstration." It's reasonable a performer of mentalism would have a prop designed for a mentalism demonstration, isn't it?

Someone else may say that ME is "old school" -- that it can't compete with the Latest Greatest electronic marvel, the flavor of the week mentalism guru or that bestselling Penguin "trick." Yup. It's old school -- but it's really, really good old school. (So are Annemann and Corinda for that matter.)

I was doing ME long before I turned to mentalism full-time. I do it close-up and on stage. LOVE this effect. I always have -- so MANY ways to make it personal for the audience, fun to watch and diverse to present. Osterlind's given us the perfect device. It's been one of my favorite things for many years. But you can probably tell, huh?

ME isn't for everyone, of course. And it's very much a matter of personal taste -- but for me it's one of the strongest effects anywhere. And the Osterlind board is the best of the lot.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

www.MindGemsBrainTrust.com
www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
kennycanary
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of kennycanary
To f**ce the third item is no biggie. I use the Osterlind "Transparent Forces" apparatus. I have made up a set of cards similar to the DDS cards, but far more in number, and then select one card which I want to f**ce and make 20 copies of it to put in the first f**ce section. I use this for another routine early in the presentation and keep the Mental; Epic for nearly the end. As the "Transparent Forces" bag allows you to f**ce 2 cards, I have a second set of cards in the the second f**ce section. When a member of the audience selects the first f**ce, I then automatically go to a second member of the audience and ask them to select a card from the second set, and to hang on it the card until later (when we get to Merntal Epic. When I get to the third Mental Epic item, the f**ce has already been accomplished. BTW, I use Marc Oberon's "Mental Epic Pad" which is far easier to handle than the Ultra Board, and looks very natural.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Ultra board or Classic Mental Epic Board? (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL