The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » chair suspension (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

sgdoveman
View Profile
New user
singapore
2 Posts

Profile of sgdoveman
Hi everyone,

I'm currently intenting to add a chair suspension into my magic show. Any advise of which brand to get? Thank a million for your advise...

Cheers,

Tan
Magicduck
View Profile
Elite user
Washington State
484 Posts

Profile of Magicduck
As far as those manufactured, the one made by Jim Sommers, sold by Klamm Magic, seems to be well made.

quack
Tim Taylor
View Profile
Veteran user
1970 - 2012
375 Posts

Profile of Tim Taylor
I just used mine for the first time tonight. It brought down the house! It is the Klamm type!
I will never get rid of it! It has a home! Smile
"Even a mosquito gets a slap on the back for a job well done" - Tim Taylor
Barry Gitelson
View Profile
Special user
Kona Hawaii
908 Posts

Profile of Barry Gitelson
I got mine from Klamm and have had no problems with it so far. Just don't push the weight limits....lighter is better.
"Your talent is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift back to God." Author: Leo Buscaglia
robertwong
View Profile
Loyal user
Calgary, Canada
212 Posts

Profile of robertwong
I have the Klamm model, I love it and yes, do be careful on the wieght of the child. I always go for a child around 5-8 years old, not too heavy and not too tall. Although the ad for the chair suspension says, "can hold a person up to 140 pounds"... don't try it!!! You'll tip the whole unit.

Robert. Smile Smile
Barry Gitelson
View Profile
Special user
Kona Hawaii
908 Posts

Profile of Barry Gitelson
I have gone as high as 125 lbs with a volunteer that I very carefully positioned so the weight shift was as far forward as possible....and worried the whole time. It never really came close to tipping but the board was on quite a slant. (In some ways this made it more magical looking as it got quite a reaction from the audiance ... but I hope to never have to go there again.)
The carrying case from Klamm makes it an easy transport to and from the gig.
"Your talent is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift back to God." Author: Leo Buscaglia
robertwong
View Profile
Loyal user
Calgary, Canada
212 Posts

Profile of robertwong
thegreatbarusky

I too have had someone who weigh a lot on the suspension, I found that the child would have to support their head from falling back towards the ground. To me it looks unconfortable for the child, not to mention the thought of a lawsuit if the whole suspensions tips over, which runs through my head.

Keep smiling!

Robert. Smile
Jeffrey Cowan
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles, CA
134 Posts

Profile of Jeffrey Cowan
Fears of an accident from a trick like this are why users should buy liability insurance, such as is advertised in the Linking Ring. It's cheap and will give you some serious peace of mind.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I use the Klamn model also. I always save it for last. Can't beat it.
Erick Elektrik
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of Erick Elektrik
Only use it for child's show. Other thing to do is to give a balloon ( round ) in the children's hand. So, he ( or she ) will hold the balloon over his head and it will balance the rest of the body. Cool thing to do is to make a loop with two balloons animal. Smile
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1670 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
Go with the old Abbott's chair suspension... its still the best in my opinion. Sure the prop is heavier and the chairs may look a bit odd... but you can always paint it to fit your act. I've had one in my show on and off for over 10 years... its safer and stronger than the other models. Its a little harder to find but they can be found used here and there. Trust me... I know what I'm talking about...

Steve
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1814 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
If you're willing to pay a lot more than the cost of the Jim Sommers (Klamm) model or the Abbott's model, I can give you information on a model made by a gentlemen named Sandy Rhoades. The chair suspension he makes is the only illusion he builds.

I have one of his and have been using it for more than 6 years. The chair suspension Sandy makes is a true Harbin Chair Suspension. (Made using the plans from the Harbin Book.) It will easily hold 150 lbs. (I tried it out when I weighed 165 lbs and it held me without a hint of tipping.) The illusion itself weighs a lot more, as well.

The cost is considerably higher than $400. I don't know what Sandy charges now but it was $1,600, including shipping in 1997. This one is made right!

Michael
Paul Romhany
View Profile
V.I.P.
New Zealand
798 Posts

Profile of Paul Romhany
I originally owned the version with plastic chairs but it broke ... only good for holding a child.

I have a chair suspension that was built by Bill Smith in Las Vegas and it's incredible. You can't even compare the plastic version with this one. I used it on cruise ships. It is perhaps one of the best ever made and can hold a heavy adult. I am clearing out my illusions because my show is now completely different and you can contact me if you want more info on this illusion.
"life is like a movie ... you write your own ending" - Kermit the Frog

http://extrememagicmakeover.com

http://www.paulromhany.com
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
I got my brand new at an auction and I think it too is a Klamm model as well. I always use it and it will be a part of my show for many years. I get a great reaction from it and it certainly is a selling point for parties.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
extremagic
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of extremagic
I have seen both models mentioned above.. I own the one built by Bill Smith Magic Ventures, (Robert Harbin design) and it is by far THE BEST on the market.. as far as construction, deception and dependability. Don't take chances with the cheap alum/plastic chairs unless you have good insurance coverage!!
Paul Romhany
View Profile
V.I.P.
New Zealand
798 Posts

Profile of Paul Romhany
Agree 100% with extrememagic. I used this on cruise ships and believe me you would only use the best quality and safest one available. You just can't compare the cheaper models with the one by Bill Smith (made from scratch including chairs and built to last a life time .. based on Harbins plans). These days when using someone from the audience you don't want any accidents. I have heard horror stories in Australia where audience volunteers sued performers over slipping on water on stage! Apparently in Australia performers now have to be 'covered' with insurance if they want to work in shopping malls. (heard this through friends in Austrlia).
"life is like a movie ... you write your own ending" - Kermit the Frog

http://extrememagicmakeover.com

http://www.paulromhany.com
philblackmore
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Profile of philblackmore
To go off on a tangent:-
In the uk you have to be covered with public liability for almost any venue, including shopping malls (they were among the first to insist on it). Is it not the same in America and Canada, they seem even more keen to sue than in this country?

On the subject of chair Suspensions:-
I use the Quality Props chair suspension. It was made by Dave Shaw in the UK, but he has since retired.
It uses ordinary beech wood folding chairs (one of which has the special gimmick attached), and can easily take an adults weight. Pity you can't buy them anymore as they were way cheaper than the Bill Smith Version, and I've found it to be very reliable.
zaubern
View Profile
Veteran user
Seattle, Wa
335 Posts

Profile of zaubern
The Harbin is great, I don't know where to get them though. There is one on http://www.magicauction.com Make sure with any chair suspension that it is well built, nothing is worse than an accident with a volunteer.
Zaubern Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » chair suspension (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL