The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » JAY SANKEY BRAINWASH (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3372 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Grandpa Wizard,

He isn't demontrating the trick, he is just explaining it while he happens to hold a deck.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6078 Posts

Profile of motown
That's what makes it confusing.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4170 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
It took awhile, but I did finally come up with what I believe to be the method. I saw Harry Lorayne go over this same method (different trick), but the special deck makes the handling even simpler.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Rizzo
View Profile
Inner circle
East Coast
3272 Posts

Profile of Rizzo
If it is what I'm assuming it is, the only way it can be done is like the old school method of placing the deck in a handkerchief or scarf. I do like keeping it simple and using a paper napkin or at a table, a nice cloth napkin but Id really like a way to do this without a wrap and that seems to be the issue with this method.
stevenb123
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of stevenb123
I bought it. It's a fine trick and gets a great response. But the demo is a bit disingenuous imho...
FrenchDrop
View Profile
Inner circle
I can name that tune in
1647 Posts

Profile of FrenchDrop
Quote:
On 2011-12-07 23:28, stevenb123 wrote:
I bought it. It's a fine trick and gets a great response. But the demo is a bit disingenuous imho...

Can you elaborate without exposing?
"A great magician has said of his profession that its practitioners '… must pound and rack their brains to make the least learning go in, but quarrelling always comes very naturally to them.'” -- Susanna Clarke, Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell
Count Lustig
View Profile
Elite user
456 Posts

Profile of Count Lustig
Quote:
On 2011-12-07 23:28, stevenb123 wrote:
...But the demo is a bit disingenuous imho...

There is no demo.
stevenb123
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of stevenb123
The responses I'm getting from the effect make it well worth the $20. I think if there is any controversy, it hinges on Jay's very carefully chosen language in his video about the trick (ok, fair enough, it's not an actual "demo.") As Illucifer (see above) stated: "Jay informs that the deck isn't switched once the effect has begun"; that is true, but there might be some disagreement about when things "begin." The trick itself is indeed diabolically simple, amazingly visual, and a great closer. I'm a teacher, and did it for several colleagues and students today (after receiving it yesterday)-- it elicited gasps every time. And the two bonus tricks/handlings are cool as well.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6078 Posts

Profile of motown
Stevenb123,

What does the spectator see when your performing this?
I liked to have a better idea of what the performance of this looks like.

Craig
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
stevenb123
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of stevenb123
Craig,

The spectator sees a deck of cards sitting face down on the palm of your hand. You place a napkin over the deck and the spectator cuts off as many cards as he/she wants, holding the napkin and cards he cuts several inches above the desk (you can even ask the spec if he wants to drop a few or take a few more). He then sees you remove the remaining pile from beneath the napkin. You thumb off the top card of your pile, turning your hand to show him his card. He replaces his portion (still covered with the napkin) on top of the (back of the) glimpsed card (the top card of your pile), and you wrap the entire deck in the napkin. When the napkin is ripped or taken off (either you are the spectator can do this) the deck is blank except for one printed back. The spectator can pull it out or you can outjog it. He names his card and turns it over to reveal the only printed card as his selection, the card he cut to. In most cases the spectator will ask to see the back of the blanks. You can fairly show them, or hand the whole deck to the spectator for examination.

I hope that's a clear account of what happens. Jay does a better job, probably, of explaining...

http://www.sankeymagic.com/detail.aspx?ID=48475

Best,
Steve
Grampa Wizard
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Profile of Grampa Wizard
Stevenb,

Thanks for the helpful info. My original questions were "is this is as baffling as it sounds?" and "does it play well and get good reactions?" So your comments provide good answers. It does sound baffling (to the audience) and I can see how it would be gasp-making. All good news. I'll be getting this routine too and can add my two cents later.

Others looking for a demo, should check out Count Lustig's comment. There is no demo. There is a promo on the Sankey site, but it is Jay talking about the effect, not perfoming it.
FrenchDrop
View Profile
Inner circle
I can name that tune in
1647 Posts

Profile of FrenchDrop
Maybe somebody will buy it and make a YouTube demo.... Smile
"A great magician has said of his profession that its practitioners '… must pound and rack their brains to make the least learning go in, but quarrelling always comes very naturally to them.'” -- Susanna Clarke, Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell
snm
View Profile
Special user
522 Posts

Profile of snm
Isn't this the same effect as Jay's Fade Away on 22 blows to the head?
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On 2011-12-08 23:37, FrenchDrop wrote:
Maybe somebody will buy it and make a YouTube demo.... Smile

And when a demo is done, the method should be apparent to all magicians. Do I have the effect? No. Do I have a really good idea about the method? Yes. I also have a method of my own that may well BE the method. Would I perform it? No, because I feel I would be stealing from Jay Sankey even if my method was markedly different.

I know that at least two of you are on the same track as I regarding how this effect is done. Frankly, I wish I would have thought of creating this effect.

As for me, I will continue to alternate between Anthony Miller's Colossal Blizzard and Dean Dill's Blizzard with the edge now to Colossal Blizzard.

Ahimsa,
Vlad

PS: Again, please no PMs regarding my take on the method? Thanks!
bblumen
View Profile
Special user
Baltimore
987 Posts

Profile of bblumen
Wow! Any poker deck in the world can be used! How does he do it?!

It is amazing what people will spend $20 for!

I wonder if Sankey was guided by fate in creating this?

Bonus points to anyone understanding the previous sentence.

Brian
"Lulling the minds of your company is more important than dazzling their eyes." Ed Marlo
FrenchDrop
View Profile
Inner circle
I can name that tune in
1647 Posts

Profile of FrenchDrop
Quote:
On 2011-12-09 11:40, Vlad_77 wrote:
Would I perform it? No, because I feel I would be stealing from Jay Sankey even if my method was markedly different.

Well, if you really wanted to perform it, you could buy the rights for 20 bucks. Smile
bblumen
View Profile
Special user
Baltimore
987 Posts

Profile of bblumen
Quote:
[snip] Would I perform it? No, because I feel I would be stealing from Jay Sankey even if my method was markedly different.

[snip]
Ahimsa,
Vlad

What do you think you would be stealing? There is nothing new here. If anyone is stealing...never mind.

Brian
"Lulling the minds of your company is more important than dazzling their eyes." Ed Marlo
BryanDreyfus
View Profile
Loyal user
293 Posts

Profile of BryanDreyfus
I am so old in magic that I have an idea as a matter of fact I think I know the old principle ( force) he is talking about.

Bryan
Oh sure, I can spell "Antidisestablishmentarianism", but I can't type t-h-e.
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On 2011-12-09 14:40, bblumen wrote:
Quote:
[snip] Would I perform it? No, because I feel I would be stealing from Jay Sankey even if my method was markedly different.

[snip]
Ahimsa,
Vlad

What do you think you would be stealing? There is nothing new here. If anyone is stealing...never mind.

Brian

Brian,

I completely understand your point. What amazes me is the fact that not a lot of people - even KNOWING the principle - have worked this out.

As to the person who told me I could pay 20.00 USD to buy the rights:

1. My solution meets Sankey's effect, so if I chose to perform my approach and not knowing Sankey's method the rights ACTUALLY go to someone who has already shuffled of the mortal coil if indeed an old principle has had "rights" attached to it.

2. I saw no claim of exclusive rights about this effect on Sankey's website.

3. Brian, what I meant was that if I perform this thing, and one of my students (beginners) would want to learn it, I would feel that PERHAPS I am crossing an ethical boundary.

Regardless, considering that IMHO Blizzard and Colossal Blizzard work already for me, I have no need to perform either Sankey's Brainwash or my solution to the effect.

This is not exposure but I agree with Brian's implicit statement that if you study a bit, you know the effect. In all fairness to Sankey, he DOES market this as a beginner's effect, thus the implication that the neophyte would not be cognizant of the method. But anyone else who has had perhaps a year of study with cards should know the method and to buy the effect would be a waste IMHO at 20.00 USD. That said, if the demand is there the market will bear the price.

Enjoy!

Ahimsa,
Vlad

PS: BrianB, PM me please when you have a chance? I can explain more fully what I meant in private.
stevenb123
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of stevenb123
Isn't this the same effect as Jay's Fade Away on 22 blows to the head?

Yep, turns out that it is. Which doesn't make the effect any less cool, but....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » JAY SANKEY BRAINWASH (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL