The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » JAY SANKEY BRAINWASH (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
martydoesmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1669 Posts

Profile of martydoesmagic
Hey Cameron,

Quote:
I don't think Sankey is doing anything dishonest, here. The post above is correct. He released it as a $20 trick a long time ago. Then put it on a couple of dvds. Now he's releasing it again as a stand-alone item. What's wrong with that? It's a good trick. I used to do it at restaurants and got great reactions from it.

Also, if you own 22 Blows to the Head and read the ad copy of Brainwash and see the demo, you should know that it's the same trick. I don't think he's deceiving anyone on this point.

I agree that this behaviour is not dishonest, but it doesn't reflect well on Sankey's character. There is at least one person in this thread that did buy the trick and does own "22 Blows to the Head" (although he was happy with his re-purchase). I made the connection when I watched the demo for Brainwashed, but this proves that not everyone will. All Sankey needed to do was to inform his customers that this trick had already been release on "22 Blows to the Head" in the ad copy.

Marty
Big Sam
View Profile
Regular user
Florida
164 Posts

Profile of Big Sam
This reminds me of the old joke between standup comics (reposted for your enjoyment) Smile

A bunch of cavemen are sitting around the fire and one gets up and tells his version of the hunt. A second caveman then gets up and tells his version and the first one mutters "Hey, he stole my act!"

Sam
Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4246 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:
On 2012-01-06 05:33, martyjacobs wrote:
There is at least one person in this thread that did buy the trick and does own "22 Blows to the Head" (although he was happy with his re-purchase).

Why did he buy the trick if he already knew he had it on DVD? Maybe there's a piece missing, but it sounds like the guy had the DVD, but didn't know it well enough to know he already had the trick on it.

I watched Sankey's video discussing the effect, and thought it was clear enough a description.

The names of the effects are different...but people should know what they have. Of course, time can go by and people will forget, but that's not Sankey's fault.

On the other hand, one wouldn't expect to see the same maker release the same trick under a different name.

On the other hand...

I'm beginning to sound like Tevye. Smile
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6135 Posts

Profile of motown
I have 22 Blows To the Head, but didn't remember this effect being on it. I suspect it just didn't make that much impact on me. This latest video for the repackaged effect he's calling Brainwash hasn't changed anything.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
ThatsJustWrong!
View Profile
Special user
My flying monkeys are perched on
629 Posts

Profile of ThatsJustWrong!
Thanks for the Jinx link, Vlad. Fascinating! As for Brainwashed, it's in the travel box instead of the junk drawer. It can be incredibly powerful for the right audience. Twenty bucks wasn't a bad gamble at all.
Joe Leo

All entertainers can benefit from some help from an experienced stage director. How about you?

www.MisfitMysteries.com
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On 2012-01-07 19:59, that'sJustWrong! wrote:
Thanks for the Jinx link, Vlad. Fascinating! As for Brainwashed, it's in the travel box instead of the junk drawer. It can be incredibly powerful for the right audience. Twenty bucks wasn't a bad gamble at all.

You are most welcome! I guess for me at least Blizzard "feels" better because the selection procedure is completely free. Pocket management is so important and while I do think Sankey did a cool thing applying an OLD force to his effect - and that force is beautiful as I have used it for a Frank Garcia adaptation of a REALLY ancient card effect I know that it works. Since I do the Garcia effect I don't want to use the same procedure for the Sankey effect. Yes there are legions of forces out there and I could easily switch the one I use for the Garcia effect, the patter I use concerns the paradox of dark and light and the force makes sense in that context. One COULD do a CF on the Sankey effect of course but I don't feel it makes sense it THAT context because it would make Sankey's effect feel more like a pick a card trick with an admittedly blammo type ending. Blizzard accomplishes the mentalism sense better for me because the spectator CAN change her mind concerning her thought of card; in Brainwashed she can't. Brainwashed I would imagine "feels" safer but it looses something in the think of a card department.

Again, I DO think Sankey did a cool thing applying this very cool force and I wish I had thought of doing it myself; it's so obvious and nice. I DO think Sankey's version would work very well in any situation but the Garcia effect is strong as hell for me and I hate to leave it out.

Ahimsa,
Vlad

PS: Again, thanks for checking out The Jinx citation and comparing it to Astral Projection. LOL Finally after these past few years someone actually looked it up Smile
Killertweety
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium (-Europe)
1457 Posts

Profile of Killertweety
I've watched Sakey's explanation of the trick on his website and immediately knew the 'force' was something I read about a few years ago ... . I opened Jon Tremaines book about card magic (which is great by the way for the beginner magician), looked up the 'force' chapter and BAM ... there it was. Nothing wrong with that by the way.

However, in my opinion Sankey manipulates a bit with his carefully chosen words in his advertisement about the 'regular deck' at the 'beginning of the trick' ... he isn't lying of course, but the explanation is a real 'brainwash' for a beginning magician, pehaps that's why he chose this name for this effect (Sakey isn't the only one doing this kind of advertisement of course). Is this wrong? Certainly not imho, it's not 'false' advertisement. But once again the value of good magic books comes to my mind, often overseen by beginning magicians nowdays.

What I don't understand is him saying there are 'other decks like this' that are inferior quality and will only last for about 6 performances ... HUH? I don't want to reveal the method but am I missing something here? I have this 'gaffed' deck, bought it years ago for a lot less then 20 USD (of course you buy the 'trick/routine' too) and it still is in perfect condition ... .
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4246 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I also wondered about the "inferior quality" thing. Didn't make sense to me...
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
I suppose such packs would last for about six performances if one were performing in a coal mine or on an oil rig ...

Sankey is making a remark that implies his effect has the advantage over similar effects because the pack lasts longer?! That IS misleading advertising. Yes I understand Sankey needs to sell his stuff to support his family and good on him. But at least don't mislead your prospective customers into believing something that seems to be based upon fact but in reality is a lot of flummery.

Ahimsa,
Vlad
Grampa Wizard
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Profile of Grampa Wizard
I agree, Vlad. I thought that was an "odd" thing for him to say when I frost saw the promo. You're right. Not odd but "misleading."
Grampa Wizard
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Profile of Grampa Wizard
I agree, Vlad. I thought that was an "odd" thing for him to say when I frost saw the promo. You're right. Not odd but "misleading."
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Many of us have probably seen this deck but only in bicycle or similar stock. Sankey as a magic producer may have been offered the same deck in a very very cheap stock and decided to go with the better one. Since he spent more money on the better stock he mentioned it.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Grampa Wizard
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Profile of Grampa Wizard
Just got Sankey's Greatest Hits. Fade Away is on there, too . . .
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Quote:
On Dec 22, 2011, Alan Munro wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-12-22 20:27, motown wrote:
Al,

Which one are you thinking of?

I forgot the name of it, but it involved having the spectator select a card by lifting off part of the deck, under a handkerchief. I've been trying to remember which book had the description of it. I think Eugene Burger referenced it in one of his books, because he came up with a variation where the cut was performed under the table, without a hanky.

FWI: I think the force may be found in the Magic Digest
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
FWIW: I just noticed that Brainwash (A.K.A Fade Away) is also in The Definitive Sankey
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
magicGigi
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of magicGigi
Quote:
On Nov 30, 2011, Jeff Hartsoe wrote:
I'm wondering if anybody has any thoughts on Jay Sankey's Brainwash. I love blank deck tricks. This sounds good, but to hear that there are no deck switches and the deck can be examined baffles me. It is also a "trick" deck because it can be added to a regular deck. Any ideas on if this should be purchased or not?

I'd highly recommend his 22 Blows to the Head DVD. It includes this trick. It's called Fade Away. Sankey has released this three times, once as Brainwash, Fade away, then as part of the 22 Blows to the Head Collection!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » JAY SANKEY BRAINWASH (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL