The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ballooning 101 » » What we have here is a failure to communicate. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jestnjoker
View Profile
Elite user
440 Posts

Profile of Jestnjoker
The cast:
Me (on my confirmation call, with a client I worked for numerous times in the past):
The Client (HR of big company, rehires every year and complains about how long the line is at their 3-hour Christmas party with hundreds of people, all requesting Santa Claus and Rudolphs)

Me: I'm just calling to confirm the event tomorrow. I'll be there from 11-2. I also wanted to say that I will show up a few minutes early so we can handle payment ahead of time. I know how busy you are at the end of the event and I am on a very tight schedule, so we can take care of that ahead of time and I can be out the door at 2.

Client: Ok, but I just want to make sure you'll be there until 2 right? (Awkward nervous laughter)

Me: Of course, I'm contracted until 2 and I will be there for the whole time. I'm going to show up a few minutes early. I just need to be at my next engagement on time.

Client: Ok, my concern is just people in line that haven't gotten a balloon and you just saying "See ya" at 2 because your schedule is so tight.

Me: I understand, I will cut the line to make sure nobody is waiting in line at 2.

Client: Ok, my concern is just people that haven't gotten a balloon by 2, like people that were at the show or something.

Me: I will let everyone know that I will be leaving at 2.

Client: My concern is people that haven't gotten a balloon, and you have to leave.

Me: I understand your concern, I'll do my best to get to everyone I can.

Client: But if there is a line and you don't get to them by 2.

Me: I will do my best to move through the line. If I'm making nice balloons there will be a line. I was contracted from 11 til 2 and I will happily work for the contracted time.

Client: Right, but my concern is you leaving before everyone gets a balloon.

Me: I understand. You contracted me until 2. I very much appreciate your business and will joyfully (I'm not joking with this language I was using) work as fast as I can for the 3 hours. I am contracted to be at another event afterwards and cannot be late for my next event.

Client: My concern is people at 2 that don't have a balloon yet.

Me: I will be as professional as I can and work until 2 o'clock, that time I have been contract until.

(Repeat for about 4 more exchanges)

Client: Ok, (obvious tone of distress, like she's being cheated) thank you.

Me: Thank you, see you tomorrow.

Where do these people come from? How would you have made that conversation less painful?
Jeff Wright
www.WrightEntertainment.biz
Voted Best Party Entertainer in Cleveland, Nickelodeon Parents' Picks Awards
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
I would have just been blunt with her...

"I can appreciate your concern, but the fact of the matter is that you booked me until 2pm which means that at 2pm, I must pack up my stuff and go. I have other events booked for this day that I cannot be late for. I'm very good about closing the line with sufficient time to be out by 2pm, but the reality is, that there may be some folks who will not get a balloon. It's the nature of the business. What I would do, would be to make an announcement at the beginning of the event to let everyone know that the line will close at (insert time here) so the balloon artist has time to exit for his next event by 2pm.

In the future, I would suggest booking me for an extra hour beyond when the event is if you're concerned about not everyone receiving a balloon...that way, I can have that worked into my schedule for this day."

Your mileage my vary, but that's what I would have said...

Christopher
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
preston eakins
View Profile
Regular user
battle creek, michigan
184 Posts

Profile of preston eakins
I worked in a factory. when we had events such as this. we had to sign up so they knew how much money to spend per adault/child, so she should have known how many kids were going to be there and unfortunately most clients don't seem to count the teens thinking they are too old for balloons.
I am sure most of us kind of have a good idea how many kids we can get through per hour.
given this information she should have gotten the point to hire you for more hours and since this isn't your first rodeo with this company if there were people in the past that didn't get a balloon when you left she should have asked what will it take to make sure everyone gets a balloons and your answer is obvious add as much time to the contract as you think it will take you

the strange part is she is in HR so she must see how fast the workers leave when the bell goes off at the end of the day. what makes her think a person with a contract wont!!!
Leland
View Profile
Inner circle
St Louis
1180 Posts

Profile of Leland
I let them know that if they want to be sure everyone receives a balloon they can:

1) have me longer for $XXX per hour until I'm done... or
2) have an additional twister at $XXX per hour.

Which option would you like to go with?

Make it their decision weather all their guest receive balloons or not. If they say we don't want either then I say don't expect everyone to get a balloon. Not being tough but I'm letting them know that the option is theirs to make.

Only so much one guy can do!
Life of Magic!
Kevinr
View Profile
Inner circle
1854 Posts

Profile of Kevinr
Quote:
On 2011-12-02 14:14, Christopher Lyle wrote:
I would have just been blunt with her...

"I can appreciate your concern, but the fact of the matter is that you booked me until 2pm which means that at 2pm, I must pack up my stuff and go. I have other events booked for this day that I cannot be late for. I'm very good about closing the line with sufficient time to be out by 2pm, but the reality is, that there may be some folks who will not get a balloon. It's the nature of the business. What I would do, would be to make an announcement at the beginning of the event to let everyone know that the line will close at (insert time here) so the balloon artist has time to exit for his next event by 2pm.

In the future, I would suggest booking me for an extra hour beyond when the event is if you're concerned about not everyone receiving a balloon...that way, I can have that worked into my schedule for this day."

Your mileage my vary, but that's what I would have said...

Christopher

So true! Great advice. Don't beat around the bush.. Tell them straight up "Yes, I will be leaving at 2 regardless."
Ben Field
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of Ben Field
My two pence (or cents to you guys, and I hope it is also sense as well) is it is a failure of communication but it's not the customers fault. If you are saying to her that you understand and she is repeating the question she doesn't actually think that you do understand her concerns, I don't believe being blunt with her is the answer, I think that is just rude.

First you have to reassure her that you do understand, not by just saying that you understand but actually explaining her concerns back to her in detail, so firstly she knows that you do understand her exact concerns and she has the opportunity to clarify them to you and there is no doubt that you do understand. If you do this she won't repeat herself again. Do this first before you do anything else.

Secondly you can explain to her in detail what you can do about it, you have to leave at a set time, you can make less complicated balloons, get another balloon artist in to help, ect.

If you do these two things she will know you understand and she will also understand your situation and she won't leave the conversation feeling cheated.

I feel often entertainers don't treat their customers as customers (some of the things I've read on the Café have really shocked me) and I don't understand why this is, we should always focus on making them feel good about things and when there is any fault in the situation it should never be the customers.

This is probably an unpopular view, but there we go.

:)
Bad to the Balloon
View Profile
Inner circle
Clearwater Florida
2116 Posts

Profile of Bad to the Balloon
Did an event the other day it is a big tree lighting event.

I am there from 6-8pm and the ground promptly close at 8pm.

I use deli ticket machine and call numbers that way people don't have to stand in a line for the whole two hours. They are free to go and do other things and come back.

This system works well for the occasional parent, who has never been to the Deli before..... last night was one.

Dad: " hey can you slide my kids in? we were taking pictures with santa"
ME: "I called those numbers already"
Dad " aww come on"
ME: "how would you feel if someone cut in front of you?"
Dad: "Can you slide them in?"
ME: "No, it isn't fair."

On the other side I called out at 20 minutes till I will only be able to do 10 more and then I have to stop because 8pm is the finish.
10 minutes till Only have time for 5 more.
5 minutes till last two..... still 10- 15 kids
2 minutes till I am done.... turn the sign that says "I am done"

Okay people I will do some VERY QUICK BALLOONS ... Hey lady in back your last one DON'T let anyone else in line.

Did 10 5 second dogs and dismissed the line time .....8:02pm walking to car
Mark Byrne
AKA Mark the Balloon Guy
As seen on the TODAY SHOW
www.balloonguy.net
Creator of Bad to the Balloon DVD series
Go to my store: http://tinyurl.com/Bad2theBalloon
Smarty Pants World
View Profile
Loyal user
231 Posts

Profile of Smarty Pants World
Hi Jeff, it looks like you weren't being entirely clear with your client. Her concerns are more that some guests at the party won't be receiving a balloon, rather than you just wrapping up and taking off exactly at 2 pm leaving a line standing there.

I would have handled it a bit differently.

I tell the client that I make about fifteen to twenty balloons in an hour. So, in a three hour stretch, I can guarantee sixty balloons. No more.

If she wants more than sixty balloons guaranteed, you can either stay longer (not possible with your schedule), charge her extra to bring pre-mades (I usually charge by the balloon) or the best choice - suggest for a larger event, they bring in additional twisters.

We understand that it's not possible to make balloons for 250 people in three hours. But our clients don't always realize this, and it's our job to educate them on what we can realistically do so that there are no disappointments or resentments when the party is done and we have to leave.
Kevinr
View Profile
Inner circle
1854 Posts

Profile of Kevinr
Mark how do you know how many number to give out?

Do you say to yourself "one hour equals 25 tickets?"
Juliegel
View Profile
Loyal user
294 Posts

Profile of Juliegel
I have gotten this type of client before. The lady was worried about everyone being happy with a balloon and what I was going to do to make that happen but she stated it exactly as yours did. "Yeah but what about those that don't get one before you leave?"

I make it the responsibility of the venue to close my line when it comes to larger events. My job is not to be the bad guy. Upon my arrival I tell the host that 15 minutes before the discussed end time the line must be 8 people long and closed. For every 15 minutes I have to go over I charge half my hourly rate (this is in my contract). I will remind them that this is happening but this acts as a deterrent for those who just abandon you to tend to other maters.

So I suppose that to get back to the main point when you tell them flat out what you do and what will happen if you go over they will make sure it does not happen. In my experience if a kid is not in line for a balloon the minute I arrive then they must not have wanted one that much. It may seem harsh but you are a person. I am sure they don't do their job past the clock for free. Neither do you.

Be straight with them, they will respect you for it.

Dylan
Jestnjoker
View Profile
Elite user
440 Posts

Profile of Jestnjoker
Hey everyone,

Thanks for all the comments. I appreciate you helping me become a better person and a more successful businessman. I think in general people don't ask for criticism and coaching enough. I really did think I was being clear, thanks for the help!
Jeff Wright
www.WrightEntertainment.biz
Voted Best Party Entertainer in Cleveland, Nickelodeon Parents' Picks Awards
Ben Field
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of Ben Field
Fair play to you Jeff!

:)
Scruffy the Clown
View Profile
Loyal user
Coldwater,MI
233 Posts

Profile of Scruffy the Clown
Either they hire you for longer period of time or pay double the rate and bring in a second gun. Or you have to SEVERELY cut back the menu choices and make really simple stuff, so the wow factor goes right out the window.
Bad to the Balloon
View Profile
Inner circle
Clearwater Florida
2116 Posts

Profile of Bad to the Balloon
Quote:
On 2011-12-04 02:06, Kevinr wrote:
Mark how do you know how many number to give out?

Do you say to yourself "one hour equals 25 tickets?"

Since that was a closed ending event ( when 8pm hit I am Done) I let them keep taking tickets.

many will walk off. Those that hung got a balloon of some sort.

When I do a Mall and I plan to close the line by tickets I figure about 20% walk off.

I'll pull the ticket machine once I hit 50 on a two hour event. Turn the sign around that tells people I am done.

Personally I hate line events, The most obnoxious kids without parents wind up bugging you the whole time. Kinda sad their parents don't teach them to respect others.
Mark Byrne
AKA Mark the Balloon Guy
As seen on the TODAY SHOW
www.balloonguy.net
Creator of Bad to the Balloon DVD series
Go to my store: http://tinyurl.com/Bad2theBalloon
Kevinr
View Profile
Inner circle
1854 Posts

Profile of Kevinr
I agree I avoid working line events. I am seriously considering NOT doing them at all in 2012.

1. You have to make things way way to fast killing the "WOWS!" and killing your ability to get more events for top dollar. They just see you like every other balloon guy.

2. The kids are for some reason just bad.

3. You are also a balloon machine on the brink of burn out!

If someone wants me to make balloon creations for 30 kids an hour or more I will NOT do the event. I pass the job to a cheap balloon clown in our area.

I wont't make one balloon items its not me, its not my style and makes me look like everyone else. I think you have to stop being everything for everyone. Find your niche.

I prefer 15 kids per hour like a typical birthdya party that's where you can make your best stuff and get more gigs
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Next time give the hour fee plus each additional 15 minute fee.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
I am not a balloon artist like many of you guys. There is a small market in Ireland for artists - and we have some wonderful ones. I would love to be one of them. But most of us work lines when we do balloons. And we are not expected to do thirty an hour. We are expected to knock out a hundred an hour or more. The result is lots of uninspired balloons. But the good side is, no problems about everyone getting a balloon. They will get plenty!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ballooning 101 » » What we have here is a failure to communicate. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL