The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Weather Alert (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
It is getting cold again. Remember that caged birds cannot search for water. When water becomes ice in the cage, the doves have no drinkable water.

Bob
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
tropicalillusions
View Profile
Special user
Tulsa Okla
631 Posts

Profile of tropicalillusions
Bob, we are good to go here in Oklahoma, doves have been moved from outdoor aviary to Indoor aviary. The heat lamp definitely keeps the water from freezing, and the cage area at least above freezing so all the feathered friends are well. Some have even taken to the nest already and are doing good on setting. I have definitely increased my number of silkies for the year, but we will see what sort comes after the hatch. Thanks for the heads up to our new dove owner friends in the world of magic.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Good advice Bob! And thanks for the reminder. I often have to fight the ice. Not only for my birds, but for my rabbits and and dog too! I keep a heat lamp on for my doves during the colder weather, so that helps a lot. Their water usually doesn't freeze until temps get down in the low-teens. I wish I could say the same for the rabbits' and dog's water!
Mister Mystery
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Here's a little something I found that helps to prevent freezing water. You'll need a little bit larger waterer than normal. Many pet shops carry a submersible pump that is used with cat waterers. It's only about 2" square and an inch or so high. When plugged in, it draws in water and bubbles it up a few inches. You just have to make sure there is always enough water in the dish to keep the pump submerged. The moving water will not freeze.
Where the magic begins
Grandillusionsmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
270 Posts

Profile of Grandillusionsmagic
My doves are watered with a self-filling system made of PVC, which goes into all cages. When I put it together, I ran some heat tape along the PVC pipe. It has a built in regulator, so it isn't running unless it has to. This works great to keep the water from freezing!
Magically,
GI
www.boisemagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Weather Alert (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL