The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Question for Sword Swallowers (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
joe faro
View Profile
Regular user
Salida Colorado
156 Posts

Profile of joe faro
Harley taught me how at the Sideshow Gathering,I'm practicing three to four times a week. Don't laugh but I've found that beer makes the best lubricant,at least I'm not geting the sword throat. But I can only do it on an empty stomach. If you swallow a sword how much did you practice while learning. Any advice would help.
Martin_Ling
View Profile
Loyal user
269 Posts

Profile of Martin_Ling
I try to stay away from carbonation before or during sword only because I've found that the release of gas when you open your stomach pushes up stomach acid and burns my throat. However, I like beer... Allot.
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2589 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
Joe, consider buying one of my all stainless steel swallowing swords. The 316 or 304 stainless steel used (depending on size) in my blades will never rust, chip tarnish or fade. All those nasty acids and compounds in saliva and digestive tracts won't do a thing to it. Also, I have heard they "taste" better.
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
steve-pistolas
View Profile
New user
UK
67 Posts

Profile of steve-pistolas
I did Harley school back in june and have been practicing almost everyday at the moment ive just hit the 16 inch mark took me a while, as long as I havent over eaten I can do it before or after meals Smile but ive been suffering with the flu for a few weeks and now I'm almost having to retrain myself as I'm only hitting the 13 - 14 inch mark now...... oh well back to training Smile
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5110 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Everybody's different. Some people can breathe, with a sword down their throat. Some can't. Some do the licking move. Some don't. Some claim that each sword has its own taste. Some don't.

I have a stainless sword, and it's not on my preferred list. For some, it would be.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
2589 Posts

Quote:
On 2011-12-05 10:19, Harley Newman wrote:
I have a stainless sword, and it's not on my preferred list.

That's because I didn't make it!
:)
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5110 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Stainless is stainless.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
2589 Posts

Smile
steve-pistolas
View Profile
New user
UK
67 Posts

Profile of steve-pistolas
I find I have to hold my breath when I do it
Lurchenstien
View Profile
New user
Hampshire, UK
49 Posts

Profile of Lurchenstien
I've been sword swallowing for coming up to three months now, I've got in to the habit of practicing everything I do once a day. IE: Swallow the short sword & fling it out, drop the long sword & remove it normally, then swallow both swords. In regards to breathing, I was holding my breath when I first learned, but now I breathe as normal.
joe faro
View Profile
Regular user
Salida Colorado
156 Posts

Profile of joe faro
Thanks for the input. I did find a cheap stainless blade from China but its only 16 inches. If I get about half of it down the rest goes right in and I haven't hit bottom. I don't drink a lot of beer but just sip it while I practice,I can see that the gas might be a problem and I have had the acid sometimes. Does any one oil there swords before swallowing?
Harlie, how often do you sugest practice?
Thanks everyone.
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5110 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Practice until it seems almost automatic pilot, and you're completely familiar with the sensations of it. But don't make the mistake of thinking you know what you're doing. That's when you get hurt. It's always practice, with attention to details.

www.bladewalker.com
Martin_Ling
View Profile
Loyal user
269 Posts

Profile of Martin_Ling
I use Camellia oil on my swords to keep them from rusting, not so much as a lubricant. It's non toxic and will not spoil.
joe faro
View Profile
Regular user
Salida Colorado
156 Posts

Profile of joe faro
I might hold my breath and swallow but I can breath after its down. Its a very unnatural feeling with a sword down your throat,in the begining I would almost panic and your mind is saying get this out. Its kind of like learning to scuba dive, you want to hold your breath when you go under water and you have to learn to relax and tell yourself to breath normaley. Harley and Martin make it look so smooth and easy it almost looks fake. I think that's why so many people think its a trick.
Its still amazing to me all the great people I've met on this site and how you are willing to share info.,I know I'm not With It and this is just a mid-life hobby but I'm having a great time !
Thanks,Paul
aka Joe Faro
P.S. I do have a photo ID with the carnival [thanks to Jim Z] so I can fake being With It.
FacadeTheStiltBoy
View Profile
Elite user
Greensboro NC
474 Posts

Profile of FacadeTheStiltBoy
Quote:
On 2011-12-05 12:57, Harley Newman wrote:
Stainless is stainless.

Noooooooo! (I just happen to be a 154 cm kind of guy, others are more into S30v)

I don't know how you can do it with beer though, I have this tendency to turn into a beer fountain when I do it. Much like when you klank the top of a beer bottle with the bottom of yours. (same thing with coffee too)
Danny Borneo
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of Danny Borneo
Martin has cofee running through his veins. I can vouch for him not having an issue with that.
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
2589 Posts

Quote:
On 2011-12-07 06:25, FacadeTheStiltBoy wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-12-05 12:57, Harley Newman wrote:
Stainless is stainless.

Noooooooo! (I just happen to be a 154 cm kind of guy, others are more into S30v)

Yeah, I didn't want to get into an argument with Harley, that's why I wrote Smile
But, since YOU brought it up, there are hundreds of grades of stainless each with its' own characteristics and alloy number. Some stainless can rust, some are soft, some are springy, others cannot be welded without special atmospheres, the list goes on. One thing that cannot be argued is the ability of my 316L steel swords to withstand the caustic environments you performers put it through. Camellia oil indeed!
joe faro
View Profile
Regular user
Salida Colorado
156 Posts

Profile of joe faro
What would be the slickest stainless,as in smooth to swallow?
Rotten
View Profile
Special user
833 Posts

Profile of Rotten
I like to guzzle a bottle of water before I swallow. I find it gets everything running in one direction and I don't like to swallow on empty. When I first started I did lube my sword with vegetable oil but I really didn't like the taste and feel. Spit works fine.

I have found it is hard to practice without an audience. Something about someone watching me do it puts my mind in the zone. When I was learning I couldn't do it on my own very well at all.

All of the swords I use are stainless. I have a blade TGN made for me too. The only differences I have found is with the amount of polish. The smoother they are the easier they go down. The one that is not as highly polished takes a bit more work.

I've missed you fellas. I have been staying off this place lately as I have been busy and am a little frustrated with all of the opinions. Everyone has the right to have one but they also have the ability to keep it to themselves. I wish some would exercise that ability more often.

Merry Christmas and a Happy Holidays to everyone.
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5110 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Polish has a lot more to do with it than the material the sword is made of.

www.bladewalker.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Question for Sword Swallowers (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL