The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Question for Sword Swallowers (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2589 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
Who's Polish? What does being from Poland have to do with swords?

:)
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
FacadeTheStiltBoy
View Profile
Elite user
Greensboro NC
474 Posts

Profile of FacadeTheStiltBoy
I will agree, the finish on the sword does have a lot to do with being able to swallow it. My stainless sword is a bit easier to swallow, but I still prefer my old WW1 bayonet. It's still got pitting from rusting for nearly a century. I keep it dry and clean and use Flitz metal polish to keep it clean and smooth. (also you really gotta make sure that it's all off the sword before swallowing)

Mirror finish looks better and is a lot smoother to the touch than a satin, or stonewash finish on other blades. (and yeah I'm somehow able to cause rust spots to happen on 154 cm, ATS34, 440 and AUS 6 so I gotta rotate the EDC just to keep them clean)
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5110 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
I check a blade before I drop it. If there's even a hint of a ding, emery cloth becomes my friend. Every time.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Has anyone ever used a ruler?
Not with a square end, I'm sure, but a modified or custom made ruler?
Just sounds interesting to me. Could have someone check your depth.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5110 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Yup...do it all the time.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Sweet.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
jondark445
View Profile
Special user
717 Posts

Profile of jondark445
This thread is just too hard to swallow...sorry...I just had to...

--Tony
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5110 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
We knew you'd get all choked up about it.

www.bladewalker.com
The Curator of the Unusual
View Profile
Inner circle
Tampa FL
1399 Posts

Profile of The Curator of the Unusual
You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself.
Evel Knievel

Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5110 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Is that you, Jim?

www.bladewalker.com
Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
Is that Francis Doran?
Blog:
http://www.bloudermilk.blogspot.com
View Profile
Inner circle
3612 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Had all of mine plated,,,I understand there are different thicknes to types of plate and it can be doubled or trebled up. Useing only bayonet swords for performance have never had a problem with the swallow or tarnishing, found if done after a meal it goes down easier, quicker and even a little further so food has no effect on my swallow.

Had one occassion when putting the SS sequence into the act after rather than before the fire blowouts section, that the parraffin came out of both ends of the body as the swords were swallowed !!!

Plated gives off a better shine, flash, than stainless.

Ken
Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
Plated, if not done properly can also flake into razor like pieces and F you up. It's also really expensive now because of all the EPA standards in place.

I don't have a preference over stainless or otherwise.

I have a few swords, well over 100 years old that I've polished by hand to as close to a mirror finish as I can and keep oiled, when not in use. The stainless swords that I have just get a little polish and care if I drop it or they bang against something.

Brett.
Blog:
View Profile
Inner circle
3612 Posts

Profile of Kondini
I had four done over twenty five years ago, yes and it was expensive even then. Never had a ding or flake and they look as good now as they did then. Keep them in a violin case wrapped in velvet bags (Velvet side inwards will keep them polished without any polishing). Never dropped or banged during this time as I consider this stunt requires more care than most.

Ken.
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2589 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
HAZMAT use in plating is a big deal. First, you cannot plate chrome directly onto steel, it will fall off almost immediately. You need to plate chrome on top of a layer of copper, which WILL adhere most permanently to steel, then the chrome on top of that. You cannot chrome plate stainless. Not only is it a waste of money due to the redundancy, but nothing will stick to stainless well (that's why DeLoreans weren't available in colors). When polished, stainless forms a very thin but VERY strong layer of chromium oxide. This layer prevents any of the alloying ingredients of the steel to make contact with the surface. This chromium oxide layer is what makes stainless SO desirable for so many applications. When the surface layer of chromium oxide gets scratched or dinged, a new layer of chromium oxide almost immediately forms. This makes welding stainless very difficult. Chrome plating is simply a VEEEEERY thin (we're talking microns here folks) weak layer of chromium monoxide, not the same thing. Scratch or bang up a chrome plated piece and you can uncover the copper (bad!) or even down to the original steel (not so bad). The microscopic jagged edges left by flaked or broken chrome plate can be deadly. Please try to remember that. The visual appearance of high polished stainless is equal to and sometimes surpasses that of chrome plate. Chrome plating is a process used specifically for parts that either cannot be made of stainless and/or would be financially undesirable.

Bret, by polishing the 100 year old sword, you reduced it's antique value to about $10. But that doesn't matter unless you plan on selling it to a collector, which I have a feeling you won't. Smile

I will post a new thread about sword polishing, as I am in the process of getting some really nice expensive polishing equipment that will give ALL my props a grade 9 mirror finish.
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5110 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Nipps, plated swords are usually nickel.

www.bladewalker.com
Rotten
View Profile
Special user
833 Posts

Profile of Rotten
Can't wait to see the new polish you got TGN! I spent ages polishing as I'm used to a highly polished sword. I used TGN sword blade on The Tonight Show in Sept. and am very happy with it. I would love it to gleam and glisten.
Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
Yeah, Nips... I don't plan on getting rid of them any time soon. One of them that I got had been cut down and blunted as if it was already used for swallowing, so already the sword collector value was kaput... Hmmmm.
Blog:
View Profile
Loyal user
269 Posts

Profile of Martin_Ling
More importantly Brett, what is up with your hair?
Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
Eh, bad hair day...
Blog:
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL