The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Ted Lesley Marking System Rub-Ons (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Chris Meece
View Profile
Special user
Somerset Kentucky
819 Posts

Profile of Chris Meece
I recently purchased Ted Lesley Marking System Rub-Ons along with Kirk Charles' Hidden in Plain Sight: A Manual for Marked Cards. I really like the different systems possible with this but I have a problem. I can't get the dang rub-ons off the sheet. The sheet is sold without any instructions. I have tried using a lead pencil with the lead retracted, brute pressure, and also wetting the card surface. Those rub-ons are not budging. Has anyone had success with this sheet?
All small town magicians know what 793.8 signifies.
Uli Weigel
View Profile
Inner circle
Berlin, Germany
1477 Posts

Profile of Uli Weigel
Try a dried out ballpoint pen. I use this method for the similar Boris Wild marking system and it works just fine.
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
Chris where did you purchase the this.

Thanks in advance for your reply.
Magic is a vanishing art.
Chris Meece
View Profile
Special user
Somerset Kentucky
819 Posts

Profile of Chris Meece
Bought them both from penguinmagic.
All small town magicians know what 793.8 signifies.
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
Nuneaton, Warwickshire
2630 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
Chris,

Have you contacted Penguin Magic for their spin on things?

As they didn't supply you with instructions, and your efforts thus far are proving fruitless, I'd ask them what to do next. The main reason I'd recommend that you do this is simply because if you end up destroying the sheet in your attempts to get it to work, they may not refund your money.

As mentioned above, I thought that this system just rubbed off directly onto the card with pressure from a smooth object. I'm wondering whether the template actually has a manufacturing fault; or is possibly a victim of natural aging?
Barry Allen

Joe Riding
20th May 1932 - 23rd April 2005

Thank you for making me an entertainer. I still miss ya mate.
Jay
View Profile
Veteran user
Northern New Jersey
397 Posts

Profile of Jay
I have used a crochet needle to make the transfer. Works great!

Jay
plungerman
View Profile
Loyal user
283 Posts

Profile of plungerman
Here's the deal;

I was given strict instructions to use "Five-Ought Steel Wool" that is, Fine steel wool of the "00000" variety. Should be easy to find nowadays. Art stores probably. Still got mine.

Next you need to scrape or sand (with the five-ought) the cards down just where the stickers are going to go. You better block off the other areas with note cards or some such. You are just trying to get rid of the sheen that they put on the backs, but only in that one spot.

Then you are going to EMBOSS (!) the marks from the sheet onto the cards. You do this with an Exacto Embosser which, now that I look at it, Does look like a good size crochet hook. Find an embosser in an Exacto display or catalog and go from there.

The embossing is real pressure to rub, rub, and keep rubbing the mark to be sure you get all of it and that it is realy impregnating the prepared spot. This will make sure that the mark will not fall off and will wear away the least.

I'm sure someone can tell you about a spray that will put the right sheen back on the cards but I can't spot the difference. Mine have lasted till now, which is long for a deck. Enjoy.

P
hotjacket
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of hotjacket
I bought these directly from Ted years ago, I seem to remember the recommendation to use a Popsicle stick worked well
Rpascual
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta, GA
664 Posts

Profile of Rpascual
I had copied this off a forum when I was having a similar problem. Hopefully, this will help:

Here are some suggestions of how to apply these transfers:
If you find your sheet is sticky and symbols stick to your fingers and easily come off, then take the product out of the package and remove velum backing paper and allow the sheet to air dry for a day in a cool dry area.
Cut the sheet into sections. This allows two things, first it's easier to manage a smaller part of the large sheet, and depending on which system Boris Wild or Ted Lesley layout you like to use its easier to only have what you need in your hand. It also keeps unwanted marks from becoming messed up while working with what you want.
Use a hard table with a sheet of wax paper about 18" X 18" under the card. The marks seem less wanting to stick to the wax paper.
If the symbols do not stick well on the card use steel wool on the card before applying them.
After the marks are on the cards apply fanning powder to get rid of any stickyness on the marks.
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
The advice above is good, but it's still a lot of work to mark an entire deck this way, and if everything is not just right, the transfer letters may fall off between shows. There are now several good factory marked decks on the market. The marked version of the David Blaine "Split Spades" deck are the least expensive, but it you just must have Bikes, the imported marked set from France (I think it's called The Ultimate Marked Deck) is a good choice. The arrive ready to use and nothing will flake off.

Dennis Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Ted Lesley Marking System Rub-Ons (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL