The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Duvivier Coin Box (Half Dollar) by Dominique Duvivier (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
I have two of the half dollar boxes purchased directly from Dominique back in the day. Actually I bought the first in 96 and liked it so much I bought a second a couple of days later before I left France. I've used one or the other fairly regularly since. They work exactly as intended with no issues.

Given the problems mentioned above I doubt if I'd buy one unseen by mail. If I was going to buy by mail I'd probably have to know and trust the seller (for example John Mendoza) or know the dealer well enough to call them, have have them inspect the box. and insure that it works as advertised (for example Denny Haney).

I love the brick and mortar shops just for this reason.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
runawayjag
View Profile
Inner circle
1085 Posts

Profile of runawayjag
Thank you, Harry. Nothing like an unsolicited and unexpected compliment to make my day! And, speaking of Duvivier's Box, I do have an original that will be on my list (provided it doesn't get sold before that list comes out.) Thanks, again.

John
ssucahyo
View Profile
Inner circle
1955 Posts

Profile of ssucahyo
I bought many years ago in FISM, Dresden Germany.
Verygood effect....nice and quite rare.
boboshempy
View Profile
Veteran user
Jersey
373 Posts

Profile of boboshempy
I bought one from someone on the Café years ago after seeing the demo. I also picked up the DVD with the routine on it. I paid $100+ in total.

Mine too fell apart when I was practicing with it. I tried to repair it but I was unable to fix it just right.

I too was disappointed.

Now it sits in my drawer.

-Nick
rickmagic1
View Profile
Inner circle
MIddle Tennessee area
1545 Posts

Profile of rickmagic1
Thanks for boboshempy's kindness, I now own this wonderful piece. I've been experimenting with it for the last day since I got it, gone through all the stuff Dominique has with the coin box on his dvds and in his book. I know that the new version that started selling in November has a dvd that comes with it; any new routines or ideas that isn't in anything previously released?

Rick
Richard Green
The Modern Conjurer

Coming soon:
Victorian Secrets: An Evening With The Spirits!
Calvin Tong
View Profile
Special user
718 Posts

Profile of Calvin Tong
I have been contacted by a few folks about this box based on this thread, and there is another thread on this as well.

Again, I feel the method is very clever. Based on the method, the best working scenario for this box is if it is not handed out for inspection at the end of the routine. if you do not plan on using this daily, you will most likely have less to worry about.

After cycling this box about 50 times, I now have some mechanical issues with it. And this has nothing to do with "a knock-off box." Unfortunately, seeing the box before one buys it.......will not help. This is purely about mechanical engineering and physics. For $100, the design and manufacturing of this box does not support extreme high usage. I would like to see this box designed with magnetics, tighter tolerances, and a higher box weight ratio as compared with the "you know what." Again, that type of design would be sold for several hundred dollars and well worth the money. However, if one only performs with this box once in a while, he/she may be quite happy with the low end $100 version and may not see the longer term issues that I have already seen.

As for the "falling apart", folks who have purchased the box can PM me for a quick fix.

caL
Cal Tong
President Emeritus
IBM Ring 216 Silicon Valley
Jeremie Leroi
View Profile
Regular user
Paris, France
116 Posts

Profile of Jeremie Leroi
As I was talking about another Duvivier product somewhere else in the café it made me remember that I never added my two cents to this thread. This product is astounding. Can't say much about the quality of the props of the newly made boxes as I have the original version with 5 francs coins but I perform this very regularly and it always slays the audience.
I used it again at a gig a couple of weeks ago and the look on people's face as they inspect the solid bloc at the end (remember: NO SWITCHING OF THE BOX !) is priceless.

And the Okito box can also be used for any of your "traditional" routines.

11 out of 10. This one's a keeper.

J.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12967 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On 2011-12-24 18:37, rasp wrote:
Always been happy with mine......never had an issue, still like new after over ten years!!!

I'm glad. You obviously never bought one of mine. Smile
TonyLee
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of TonyLee
Great info! Smile Smile Smile
philipsw
View Profile
Loyal user
206 Posts

Profile of philipsw
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but wondered if anyone could help me. Earlier in the thread someone mentioned Ken Brooke's routine with three boxes. It's not in the Ken Brooke Book (unless I've missed it!) - so I'm wondering where I might track the routine down please?
http://www.morethanmagic.co.uk

It's not what you do but the way that you do it!
philipsw
View Profile
Loyal user
206 Posts

Profile of philipsw
PS - From a little more research I think the routine might have been called the One Twenty coin box routine - but I don't know if it was only released with the props or whether it was published anywhere else. If anyone does have the routine and were able to send me a scan to try with my own set of boxes, that would be AMAZING! Thanks.

Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Ken put out a series of booklet titled "The Ken Brooke Series". Booklet number 1 is titled "The Magic Box" and is the complete routine as mentioned above.

Stevens Magic carries the entire series. BookletNumber 1:
https://www.stevensmagic.com/shop/ken-br......olume-1/
philipsw
View Profile
Loyal user
206 Posts

Profile of philipsw
Hi Harry, thanks for a quick reply. Can you confirm - does this definitely cover the routine with the three boxes? It sounds from the description as though it might just cover the one box routine which is in the Ken Brooke Book.

philipsw
View Profile
Loyal user
206 Posts

Profile of philipsw
And one final related question (!) - I have recently acquired a Duvivier Box. Is there somewhere I can access instructions? I can obviously work out the basics from watching the performance, but more detail would be really helpful. Sorry for all the questions! Thanks.

Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Yes I can confirm that the booklet definitely covers the routine with the three boxes. All of my books, pamphlets, DVDs and most props are presently stored away (renovating the house) so do not have ready access to it or to the Duvivier Box instructions.
philipsw
View Profile
Loyal user
206 Posts

Profile of philipsw
Thanks Harry. That's really helpful. If anyone else knows of a source for the Duvivier Box instructions I'd be grateful.

Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2720 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
I have inherited the Duvivier Box. How can I tell if it's the original or the newer version.

Best

Steve
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
Kevini
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of Kevini
It's been 10 y4ars since someone said that the prop was poorly made. Are there any current opinions on the quality? Surely they have improved it by now. Amazon seems to have one for $30
Magnus Magic
Great Magic Makes Great Memories
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Duvivier Coin Box (Half Dollar) by Dominique Duvivier (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL