The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Santa Gig (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

curtgunz
View Profile
Special user
Only 99% of users have more than
784 Posts

Profile of curtgunz
I'm going to post a similar thread in "Tricky Business" but this is kind of a Kid's Entertainer question.

I'm booked for a one hour Santa in a home.

I've got the costume and make-up down.

But, I've never done a Santa. What do some of you do?

I am going to be delivering a special gift the grandmother will give me before I arrive.

But what else?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Click for Free Resources for Performers

YouTube channel specifically for family & kids show magicians. Click -- You need to subscribe.
MagicB1S
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville Tenn.
1039 Posts

Profile of MagicB1S
I would do a search, I seem to remember a similar thread last year about this, Also check with Skip Way I think he has some experience with the SC Gig.
"There are Tricks To All Trades.... My Trade is all Tricks"

"An amature practices until he gets it right. A Professional Practices until he can't get it wrong"

www.Themagicchest.webs.com
bobswislosky@yahoo.com
curtgunz
View Profile
Special user
Only 99% of users have more than
784 Posts

Profile of curtgunz
Quote:
On 2011-12-06 17:01, MagicB1S wrote:
I would do a search, I seem to remember a similar thread last year about this...

Thanks. I'll try to get in touch with Skip.

I did try to find a previous thread but couldn't find it. Maybe my Search-Fu skills are not blackbelt.

I love SearchTheMagicCafe.com because it makes it so easy to do searches.
Click for Free Resources for Performers

YouTube channel specifically for family & kids show magicians. Click -- You need to subscribe.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Contact Tate if you can.
Mister Mystery
MagicB1S
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville Tenn.
1039 Posts

Profile of MagicB1S
"There are Tricks To All Trades.... My Trade is all Tricks"

"An amature practices until he gets it right. A Professional Practices until he can't get it wrong"

www.Themagicchest.webs.com
bobswislosky@yahoo.com
danfreed
View Profile
Inner circle
West Chester PA
1354 Posts

Profile of danfreed
Santas do game leading, sing alongs, and read stories. They enter the room while ringing santa bells. Pose for photos.
slydini
View Profile
Loyal user
248 Posts

Profile of slydini
You can also read Christmas stories to the children.
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
I am of the opinion that less is more when it comes to playing Santa. Of course a big Ho Ho Ho and Merry Christmas, but getting involved in leading games seems foreign to my concept of who Santa is. I think reading Christmas Stories and telling the children about life at the North Pole would be in more in keeping with tradition.
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of seadog93
IMO Santa:

1) is clairvoyant (he sees you when you're sleeping)

2) makes toys appear (most important!)

3) employs lot's of magical and mischevious characters, like elves.

4) has lot's of interesting stories and experience (living in the north pole with elves and reindeer and flying around the world and such)

This makes me think:

1) mentalism (Santa as psychic reader is very strong, I still remember it from when I was about 7)

2) make toys appear (or any kind of presents

3) Santa-in-trouble. Maybe some of those elves played a joke with some of the magical toys?

4) Great stories and story magic tricks.

Definitely just stories is enough. I think stories and some mind reading (eg. knowing the kids names, what they want for christmas, etc) would be a perfect combination. Depending on if you are already familiar with mentalsim or not. If not then you probably won't have the time to learn it convincingly.
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
I have done a lot of Santa work. An hour long visit seems long to me. But if you have to, you have to. I would stay well clear of games. You are Santa, not a clown. What I tend to do is tell them about my elves, my toy factories, my life at the North Pole. I answer all their questions (and they will have some). Ask them plenty of questions. Get them to open up to you. Santa is a celebrity in the eyes of the little ones, and what is better than a celebrity who wants to listen to you. Get them to sing for you - but don't lead a sing-song. That is too much like an entertainer rather than Santa.

Telling a Christmas story would be very appropriate. The Night Before Christmas, and The Grindge are good stories to recite.
danfreed
View Profile
Inner circle
West Chester PA
1354 Posts

Profile of danfreed
I used to book Santas as an agent. they all did things their own way. I had a guy who did game leading in addition to the usual stuff and it went over very, very well. Every approach is legit if the kids and the client are happy and enjoy it. The game leading isn't traditional, but why can't Santa be a really fun guy? Not for everyone, but it's an option, especially if you have a lot of time to fill.
Chris Capstone
View Profile
Regular user
Tulsa, OK
107 Posts

Profile of Chris Capstone
Join http://clausnet.com/ I have learned stuff I never would have imagined. I just had my first professional gig as Santa and I can't begin to say how much I was helped by clausnet.

They describe their forum as: The world's premier Santa Claus Network! Here you will find members from every Santa organization in the world, coming together to build a community of friendship, trust, and, fellowship.

I have found them to be a really great bunch of helpful folk who are truly committed to the calling of being Santa. Most of them do see it as a calling and take it very seriously.
Chris Capstone
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Santa Gig (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL