The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » A World without Money? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
A spin off of the post "Do you buy into our future as imagined by Star Trek?" where money doesn't exist in the fictional Sci-Fy.

What would the world be like if money did not exist?

You can travel anywhere or own anything you desire, money is meaningless!

What would you do?

One rule: You cannot own or rule over another person.
Dennis Michael
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
I would continue writing and doing shows, and everything else that I already do, except without having to worry about the bills.
Intrepid
View Profile
Special user
Silver Spring, MD
989 Posts

Profile of Intrepid
1: quit my job
2: start drinking
Bob
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
I would see how many Whoppers I could eat in 30 minutes...
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
jugglestruck
View Profile
Inner circle
Wales
1038 Posts

Profile of jugglestruck
As far as I can remember, this is the scenario in the last chapter of the book "The history of the world in ten and a half chapters".
When people die they go to heaven where they can do just what they want without money or fear of harm. The conclusion is interesting, when they have done everything possible they just cease to be as they have no incentive to keep going.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16247 Posts

Profile of tommy
Everyone would be rich
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I'm sure there will always be some way to keep score.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Quote:
On 2011-12-07 17:19, tommy wrote:
Everyone would be rich

Everyone now is rich, but they don't see it.
Dennis Michael
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
There will always be the have's, and the have not's.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Free drinks?

Everyone would be drunk quite a lot of the time... Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

That's part of it... drink until you need an artificial kidney, then drink more, keep replacing parts, the liver, and the heart. Eventually your brain will die and so will you.

Then again, there is the artificial liquor served on the enterprise which simulates drunk, but can be instantly wiped from you system. (No-Hangover)
Dennis Michael
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Guess that is why it is "Sci Fi" the Fi or Fy standing for Fiction. It does not exist. Never will exist. It is fiction. Just fun to ponder.

I would havea to say it is the "Impossible Situation".
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
763 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On 2011-12-07 07:08, mastermindreader wrote:
I would continue writing and doing shows, and everything else that I already do, except without having to worry about the bills.

Glad to here that although I doubt it is true with most. I also wonder if you would have an audience to perform for? It reminds me of a story I heard from Jeff McBride where he performed a show at the birthday party of a very rich celebrity. Everyone was so drunk at the location that no one had any real interest in anything Jeff did. To here Jeff tell it, it was quite a sad and depressing experience. I wonder if that is how most people would behave given the premise of the thread.

Mike
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

That's the kind of audiences that I'm used to given the joints I frequently work.

:eek:

But now that I think of it, if I lived in a world without it, I think I would go ahead and invent money. If I didn't, I'm sure someone else would. I mean, if you can't pay someone to do the menial but necessary tasks in a society, who would do them?

Good thoughts,

Bob
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Well, I put more money into my sport than I get out of it, so I'd still do it if I didn't have to pay Smile
And my other activities too.
Pretty much everything I do these days is because I love to do it. Whether that's magic or jitz or playing with heavy objects.

I'm not getting any money or credits for the work I'm doing in the Social Psych lab either. I volunteer because it's fun and interesting. Well, it does look good on my resume too.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2011-12-08 17:31, mastermindreader wrote:
That's the kind of audiences that I'm used to given the joints I frequently work.

:eek:

But now that I think of it, if I lived in a world without it, I think I would go ahead and invent money. If I didn't, I'm sure someone else would. I mean, if you can't pay someone to do the menial but necessary tasks in a society, who would do them?

Good thoughts,

Bob

That's got me thinking, in a world of holodecks and food synthesizers, it seems like the most powerful individuals would be the maintenence workers who know how to keep those things running.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
763 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On 2011-12-08 17:37, critter wrote:
That's got me thinking, in a world of holodecks and food synthesizers, it seems like the most powerful individuals would be the maintenence workers who know how to keep those things running.

They're not now. Why would they be then? Smile
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

It just dawned on me that it is impossible to keep Dennis's rule that you cannot rule over or own someone.

Knowledge would be the substitute for currency. Those with the knowledge would automatically have the power.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
I don't see what good it would be to have the power of maintenance. What could you get that you couldn't have otherwise?

OTOH, what motivation do the maintenance guys have to do their jobs?

This is all so confusing.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
Everyone has a role, everyone knows their role and everyone does their rule for the betterment of the community. I can't quite place it, but this premise does remind me of a short story I read long ago.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » A World without Money? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL