We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » A World without Money? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2011-12-08 23:33, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
I don't see what good it would be to have the power of maintenance. What could you get that you couldn't have otherwise?

Because the people who know how to keep the holodecks and food synthesizers running would be the only thing keeping us in the lap of Starfleet-y luxury.

I don't know if anybody else noticed this either, but TNG Klingons are kind of wimpy for the ultimate warrior race. They're really only tough in comparison to the Starfleet "we need a ship counsellor now because for some reason a Holodeck and free food and visiting hundreds of new planets aren't quite enough to keep us happy" crowd.
You may never see a Harley parked outside of a therapist's office but, apparently, you will see a Galaxy Class Starship parked outside of one.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1197 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2011-12-08 23:43, Josh Chaikin wrote:
Everyone has a role, everyone knows their role and everyone does their rule for the betterment of the community. I can't quite place it, but this premise does remind me of a short story I read long ago.

Quote:
On 2011-11-28 13:41, LobowolfXXX wrote:
It'd be good to run a similar joke about a collectivist fairytale, but there are too many to choose from.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
I really like your post critter, especially the need for a counselor in a world where you have access to everything you desire.

Also true is "knowledge is power" and that exists now.
Dennis Michael
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
The ONLY reason I show up at my workplace every morning is the fact that I get what I need to survive (money). If I did not need my job to survive, I would not go to work. Who is going to provide the things that we human's desire? Yes, some people love their jobs enough they may go to work every day anyway but I am afraid that too many would not go to their jobs and the rest of us would suffer greatly. Can't happen.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
Octopus Sun
View Profile
Special user
Wiggle Wiggle
586 Posts

Profile of Octopus Sun
This question kinda sounds like the OWS people I've talked to...

"Yeah, we want everything for free...redistribution of wealth, etc...yada,yada,yada"

Then you woke up...
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Funny- I've talked to many OWS people and NONE of them said that. (But, then again, I wasn't dreaming that I talked to them so I didn't need to wake up.)
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20662 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Well it is easy to bash the OWS crowd. But then again I have seen many of them say things that I SHOCKINGLY agree with. No kiding. I mean many of them are after government waste and corruption.

Some have said silly things and want silly things, but it is not fair to paint all of them with that brush.

As a rule I do not agree with most of them, but when you peal back the layers and take the time to learn, well then it is shocking as I said. I have to say I have been happy I have. I think often all of us need to try this every once in a while. I bet we end up with a NEW party for politics that has the 60% of us who are probably labeled wrong! Just with the people who agree with us "most".

I am not in support of them mind you, or against them. I just want them to be treated fair. Sort of like I want to be treated.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
Free Whoppers for everyone?
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5044 Posts

Profile of landmark
At least free pickles. That's my absolute, no-turning-back, bottom-line demand.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On 2011-12-11 20:40, Dannydoyle wrote:
Well it is easy to bash the OWS crowd. But then again I have seen many of them say things that I SHOCKINGLY agree with. No kiding. I mean many of them are after government waste and corruption.

Some have said silly things and want silly things, but it is not fair to paint all of them with that brush.

As a rule I do not agree with most of them, but when you peal back the layers and take the time to learn, well then it is shocking as I said. I have to say I have been happy I have. I think often all of us need to try this every once in a while. I bet we end up with a NEW party for politics that has the 60% of us who are probably labeled wrong! Just with the people who agree with us "most".

I am not in support of them mind you, or against them. I just want them to be treated fair. Sort of like I want to be treated.

Fair enough, Danny. This time I agree wholeheartedly with you.

Good thoughts,

Bob
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20662 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I am happy to hear it sir. I would think everyone can agree with the spirit of that post.

I am sure it does not come across that way, but I really try to get to this place all the time.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
There are societies that have existed without money. Before the deforestation of the rain forest, the pygmys had a pretty utopian society that included no money, as I'm sure other primitive cultures did and still do today. Even in the us in some of the more backwood Appalachian communities, money plays a much smaller role than bartering or just fending for yourself. A few years ago there was a book called something like The Roadkill Cookbook all about living with no money.

More interesting are people who purposefully reduce their reliance on money in order to live a freer lifestyle. There was a recent story about a family of 4 in California, in a suburb of LA, that converted the property into a farm that they feed themselves with and sold the extra for the money that they needed to live on. Their cars ran on recycled food oil. No one in the family worked, but they all seem to lead contented lives, and certainly ate well.

Whether we can replace money completely or not...I don't know but we can certainly reduce our dependance on it and probably improve our lives in the bargain.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Informative Bill. Thanks
Dennis Michael
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20662 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Well I think a better way to put that would be YOU can reduce your reliance on it.

Let me ask you something though. What about those who can not take care of themselves? What would you do without the very internet on which you pontificate upon?

Yes indeed you "can" live without money. I am certainly happy that I do not have to choose to.

Oh and by the way "barter" is just another word for money. It really is.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Obviously
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of Obviously
"money" is not real (beyond its physical properties of paper or cheap metal). Money is just an idea. The idea is "value" of an object or service. It seems like a world without money would be a world lacking in values and ideas. Very natural, but animalistic. I guess dogs (and all other non-human animals) already exist in this lind of world in a way.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20662 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yea that is what I meant by barter is just another word for money.

I know this utopian idea has some appeal, but for some reason it just does not pan out so well in reality. I wonder why?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Lets see how this bartering works. This guys needs a kindey trnasplant so he goes to the guy who does kidney trnasplants and the guy says ok I will do the transplant but you have to cut my grass for the next year. I just don't see this working out. Smile

I mean who wants to do yard work for a year? Smile
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20662 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
This is exactly why money is more precice, or something most agree is of almost universal value.

Plus you forget the kidney guy must NEED someone to do his yard for a year. So you now have to match the need of the guy needing a kidney, and the need of the guy doing the kidney operation.

I notice that all the examples have far less than 350 million people in them.

As I said feel free to live in any way you see fit. Stop using computers and running water and electricity and heating oil and cars and so forth. Not a problem, drop right out of society. It should make you feel really good. I only ask not to need the same things from me is all. Nobody has, I just am drawing the line is all. If you think you are more "free" without money, then cool.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1299 Posts

Profile of GlenD
Such a system requires righteous people, kind of the way our republic required a moral and religious citizenry in order to endure. I guess we really cannot handle either.
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

The movie "Instinct", Starring Anthony Hopkins, Cuba Gooding Jr. and Donald Sutherland focused on "freedom" a world without money and they thought he was crazy.

It was a very "thought provoking" movie.
Dennis Michael
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » A World without Money? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL