The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » It was 31 years ago today (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
Hard to believe that 31 years have passed since losing John Lennon.
I often wonder what Mr. Lennon would have to say about the crazy World we live in today.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
John Lennon's assassin did it so people everywhere would remember his name, and Mark David Chapman's wish came true with me. I'll never forget what John said to Mr Chapman after he did his dirty deed "you've shot me"
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Ray Tupper.
View Profile
Special user
NG16.
750 Posts

Profile of Ray Tupper.
It was thirty one years ago today?
It was only twenty years ago today that sergeant pepper taught the band to play.
All this timeline $*** is playing havoc with my mozg.
Ray.
What do we want?
A cure for tourettes!
When do we want it?
C*nt!
thorndyke
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
147 Posts

Profile of thorndyke
John Lennon did not have an assassin, he had a murderer. He was not assassinated, he was murdered.
Patrick Differ
View Profile
Inner circle
1540 Posts

Profile of Patrick Differ
^ (depends on your politics, hombre...)

I remember the day. I still have the newspaper that ran the headline "John Lennon Shot to Death".

Looking at life through rose-colored lenses is not a waste of time. Neither is using your fame to promote peace and an anti-war ideology.

Things change when people take action.
Will you walk into my parlour? said the Spider to the Fly,
Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy;
The way into my parlour is up a winding stair,
And I've a many curious things to show when you are there.

Oh no, no, said the little Fly, to ask me is in vain,
For who goes up your winding stair
-can ne'er come down again.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Patrick is correct.

A common definition of "assassination" is:

Quote:
To carry out an assassination is "to murder (a usually prominent person) by a sudden and/or secret attack, often for political reasons."[1][2] Alternatively, assassination may be defined as "the act of deliberately killing someone, especially a public figure, usually for hire or for political reasons."

An assassination may be prompted by religious, ideological, political, or military motives; it may be carried out for the prospect of financial gain, to avenge a grievance, from the desire to acquire fame or notoriety (that is, a psychological need to garner personal public recognition), from the wish to form some kind of "relationship" with a public figure, or from the desire (or at least the willingness) to be killed or commit suicide in the act.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assassination

Was John Lennon a public figure? Yes. By many he was also a political figure.

Was Chapman's motive to "acquire fame or notoriety (that is, a psychological need to garner personal public recognition)," [or] "from the wish to form some kind of "relationship" with a public figure?" Also,yes.

It is, therefore, entirely correct to refer to Lennon's killing as an assassination.

I, too, will never forget that day when a phenomenal musician and composer, and an important voice for peace, was silenced.

Good thoughts,

Bob
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
John's legacy lives on in this jaded world. John as an individual and The Beatles collectively are voice crying in the wilderness. Their message is simple and heaven knows we need it today.

Thank you John for everything. I know you are laughing right now at the pointless battle of semantics.

Give peace a chance!

Ahimsa,
Vlad
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Hear, hear! Vlad.

I really miss John's voice in the world but fortunately it is one of the voices in my head.

-Mary Mowder
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
Quote:
On 2011-12-08 21:33, Patrick Differ wrote:
^ (depends on your politics, hombre...)

"Looking at life through rose-colored lenses is not a waste of time. Neither is using your fame to promote peace and an anti-war ideology.

Things change when people take action."

Very well said Patrick, my sentiments exactly but you said it better than I ever could.
"Give Peace A Chance"-Lennon
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
Doomo
View Profile
Inner circle
2330 Posts

Profile of Doomo
Quote:
On 2011-12-09 03:08, Mary Mowder wrote:
Hear, hear! Vlad.

I really miss John's voice in the world but fortunately it is one of the voices in my head.

-Mary Mowder

But only ONE of the voices Mary... Only ONE of them...

Hehehehe.
If you ever get to a point where words have no meaning, you're probably talking to a dog.

Remember! More Bang For LESS Bucks! It is the right way!

www.rfaproductions.com
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Too true Doomo.

-Mary
thorndyke
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
147 Posts

Profile of thorndyke
I don't see him as large as his fans do. I feel that the image building done in the years since his death add to the glamor of him.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Thorndyke,

John (and Yoko) took a hard stand for Peace when it threatened John's citizenship.

Obviously John had some personal problems which were made very apparent (and possibly aggravated) by constant attention in the press. John was not perfect but he was certainly authentic. I don't know how old you are but John had a good image and a huge fan base well before his death.

Having seen the rise of the Beatles and subsequent chapters of John's life I have great respect for his artistry and humanity. He is missed.

Thanks for the link mastermindreader.

-Mary Mowder
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Thorndyke
Do you have a bee in your bonnet, or something? Why are you trying to insult a dead man? If you don't like John Lennon why don't you start your own hate thread, and see how many others agree with your nonsense? This thread is to commemorate a legend, and you are just a party pooper.

SHAME ON YOU
thorndyke
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
147 Posts

Profile of thorndyke
Geez Al, mellow out. I simply disagreed with the view that he was assassinated, this doesn't mean I hate him or his work. I just don't elevate him any higher than I feel is justified.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
As a general rule, early death does tend to elevate celebrities' reputations.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5022 Posts

Profile of landmark
Lennon wrote a lot of good songs, and a couple of masterpieces. His politics, despite what J Edgar and the gang thought, were pretty incoherent.
It was a sad day the day he got shot. But assassination? I don't think that describes what happened.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Landmark-

Read the definition I posted earlier in this thread. It describes EXACTLY what happened.

And "Give Peace a Chance" sounded pretty coherent to me.

Good thoughts,

Bob
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Yes Thorndyke
I did over react and taste in music is a personal matter.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » It was 31 years ago today (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL