The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » It was 31 years ago today (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Just as relevant today as it was then:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wos-dDxpJlQ
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On 2011-12-11 11:01, Al Angello wrote:
Yes Thorndyke
I did over react and taste in music is a personal matter.

Geez Al, give peace (with Thorndyke) a chance, will ya?

;)

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
No disrespect to Lennon, and I certainly hope I'm never shot, but if I am, I hope I ad lib something better than "You've shot me."
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On 2011-12-11 12:48, LobowolfXXX wrote:
No disrespect to Lennon, and I certainly hope I'm never shot, but if I am, I hope I ad lib something better than "You've shot me."

Luckily I have never been shot but from what I am told and what I have read, being shot is excruciatingly painful. Considering that two of the bullet's pierced John's left lung, I am surprised he could say anything at all.

Lobowolf, I know that you mean no disrespect to John or indeed to anyone who gets shot. I just am mystified - in a bad way - why this thread which was meant as a tribute to a great voice of a generation has engendered some strange debates over semantics, etc.

Whether one uses the term assassination or murder is irrelevant folks. A man was killed and a voice silenced. "No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main; if a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as well as if a manor of thy friend's or of thine own were; any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind." - John Donne

Ahimsa,
Vlad
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2011-12-11 13:11, Vlad_77 wrote:
A man was killed and a voice silenced. "No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main; if a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as well as if a manor of thy friend's or of thine own were; any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind." - John Donne

Ahimsa,
Vlad

It's interesting to bring up Donne. He would, of course, agree that it's entirely appropriate to remember Lennon, what he stood for, and what he might have contributed were he still alive; on the other hand, as you quote, For Whom the Bell Tolls is about "every man.". Donne might also wonder why we go back decades to mourn and remember a particular man; Donne's point is that we were all diminished by each of the 150,000 or so people who died yesterday. Of course, that's a lot of bandwidth.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Vlad-

It's not a strange debate at all. Thorndyke was clearly attempting to diminish the significance of Lennon and his death.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2011-12-11 13:49, mastermindreader wrote:
Vlad-

It's not a strange debate at all. Thorndyke was clearly attempting to diminish the significance of Lennon and his death.

Lest it be unclear, *I* wasn't. It's actually Donne I disagree with.

Patrick Differ
View Profile
Inner circle
1540 Posts

Profile of Patrick Differ
The differing opinion is the one to listen to. Anyone who wants to belittle, or downplay, Lennon's contributions to society and the peace movements during the 70's is perfectly welcome to do so. That's what it's all about.

"Looking at life through rose-colored lenses" is not a compliment. It's an description of an idealist; someone who doesn't see the world as it truly is, but only the way they think it should be. John Lennon was an idealist in a lot of ways with a lot of his beliefs. I can understand why people would say he was a crack-pot.

There are a few ways of looking at this. People do things because they'll get into trouble if they don't. People do things because that's what everybody else is doing. People do things because they think it is right. I think Lennon genuinely felt that peace was worth it, and so he used his fame and fortune to promote it. His methods were "out there", but that's ok. I can respect that.
Will you walk into my parlour? said the Spider to the Fly,
Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy;
The way into my parlour is up a winding stair,
And I've a many curious things to show when you are there.

Oh no, no, said the little Fly, to ask me is in vain,
For who goes up your winding stair
-can ne'er come down again.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Quote:
On 2011-12-11 17:55, Patrick Differ wrote:
The differing opinion is the one to listen to. Anyone who wants to belittle, or downplay, Lennon's contributions to society and the peace movements during the 70's is perfectly welcome to do so. That's what it's all about.

I totally agree. But I was under the impression that this thread was intended to be a commemoration of this life.

And, Lobo, I agree with you about Donne. I don't feel the least bit diminished by the deaths of Saddam, Ghaddafi, Hitler, etc.

Good thoughts,

Bob
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
Yes Bob, My intent was to remind those who care, that this was the day that Sir John Lennon died. I hope that I don't live to see the day when the masses say "John Who?".
John Lennon was just a Man who spoke his mind without regard to any negative response he might recieve. He not only tried to wear "rose colored glasses" but he tried to do his part to help change the World into a rose colored World where no glasses were required. To wear rose colored glasses without at least trying to make a difference is another thing.
PEACE.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
MysticJohn
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of MysticJohn
Amazing how fast time has passed, I remember it like it was yesterday.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5022 Posts

Profile of landmark
Meeting that night outside the Dakota was the original Facebook meet-up. You knew that everyone you hadn't seen in years was going to be there, like at a relative's funeral. And you were glad to see them, but you wished it were at a happier occassion.
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
Nuneaton, Warwickshire
2687 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
Well apparently, Yoko Ono is going into the history books for surviving solely on insects.

I read just the other day that she's been living off a dead Beatle for over 30 years. Smile

PS Wonder how many of the PC Brigade that comment is gonna upset!
Barry Allen

Joe Riding (1932 - 2005). "I still miss you mate".
https://magicweek.co.uk/magic_articles/article_joe_riding.htm
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Merc Man,

I'm not part of the so called "PC Brigade" but I find your comments distasteful.

I liked some of Yoko's music and I don't think it is within my purview to judge people's relationships from the outside. John and Yoko chose each other and seemed to be happy.
It also seems very clear that much of what I respect John for was either initiated by or supported by Yoko. How much, who knows? I don't discount her role in the peace efforts of John and Yoko.

Thank goodness Yoko is the only one who made any money off The Beatles and John Lennon or you'd have a lot of fingers to point Merc Man.

By the way Yoko was a very savvy investor and so has a great deal of "her own money".

Are you saying that Spouses should not inherit? Wow, I never realized what a stinker my Grandma was for getting most of my Grandpa's stuff after he died.

Think about how you would feel if you read a post like your's after the death of a loved one. This is not a Bar and a lot of people will read your comments. Is this the kind of commentary you want to be known for?

Yoko is not the villain here. She is the Widow of a man who died too young.

-Mary Mowder
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
Nuneaton, Warwickshire
2687 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
It was a JOKE darlin!

Jeeeez......some people.
Barry Allen

Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Sorry Sweetie,

I guess humor is subjective.

-Mary
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
Nuneaton, Warwickshire
2687 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
No problem Mary.

Us Brits eh! x
Barry Allen

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » It was 31 years ago today (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL