We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Another bad performance....ugh (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
phillsmiff
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1703 Posts

Profile of phillsmiff
Its a mindset thing I think, remember that the associations and assumptions that you have tied up with the word trick are not present in most people's minds. I watched a young kid doing a trick on a BMX a while back that blew my mind, launched off a dirt ramp, did a lateral spin, whilst spinning his handlebars, then landed it, all casual, like it was nothing: it was a great trick, but by our very restricted use of the word, it wasn't a trick at all because he really did it. Just because someone uses the word trick to describe what you do, don't get stressed: A skateboarding trick involves real skateboarding, snowboarding tricks will still shatter your ankles if you land wrong and a high wire trick is still a risky business without a net. Its just us that thinks tricks are bad.

Maybe the lady you were performing for thought you were 'just' doing incredible magic tricks, or maybe she wanted to engage with you using the grammar you had established when you brought out the cards and had no more sophisticated point of reference than the 21 card trick, or maybe she was just a bit drunk. Maybe cards are your comfort blanket, a guaranteed wow - if you want to think again find a go-to effect that will fill the same role without pips. (I love metal bending so much it feels like cheating when I do it - that's my easy wow.)

In the meantime don't sweat a word: IMO if the punters are having a good time you are winning and the details are just semantics.

Phill
Check out the incredible Neural Miracle playing cards on Kickstarter:
-+: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/phillsmith/incredible-magic-with-the-neural-miracle-playing-cards :+-
robwar0100
View Profile
Inner circle
Buy me some newspapers.Purchase for me 1 Gazette and
1748 Posts

Profile of robwar0100
Billy,

Might I suggest that you don't force yourself into a "mentalist character," rather let him emerge, evolve and grow. I started studying mentalism 10 years ago (I have been performing magic since ~1975), and I still don't feel I am where I need to be. I study and practice magic and mentalism every day, and I am still trying to become the performer I know I can be.

Forget about the destination; enjoy the journey.

Bobby
"My definition of chance is my hands on the wheel," Greg Long.
RCP
View Profile
Inner circle
Two Minnie's in The Hell's Half Acre, The Republic of Texas
2160 Posts

Profile of RCP
I think she was interested in showing you more than a card trick Billy........you should work on the mind reading.....not the card trick
Billy-one
View Profile
Inner circle
IOWA
1028 Posts

Profile of Billy-one
Bobby,

I am not forcing myself into mentalism, yet its forcing itself into me. Its not like golf, when I hit my first good drive...I cant stop wanting more. I know this may seem ammature, but its not like I push unpolished effects on people just to get the jolt of feeling awesomely mental. However, with mentalism you must not be scared to perform it for people when its not fully ready, or it will never become ready...as it needs participation with another person. When I hit the bars on my off nights, I use this time to really work on my material....sometimes it goes really well, some times great, some times like sh*t, but atleast its going somewhere. Also, keep in mind that I have very high standards for myself, so when I say something goes really poorley....take it with a grain of salt. This is not to say that I butcher effects at times, but mostly I just feel a beat off or get don't get laughs when I plan, ect.

Respect,
Billy
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
I hear you, Billy. We all need places to be bad and try out material. Sometimes you never know how something is going to play until you try it.

As they say - No guts, no glory.

Best-

Bob
Paul Shirley
View Profile
Inner circle
Melbourne, Australia
1206 Posts

Profile of Paul Shirley
Don't sweat it Billy.

I have some 'EPIC fail' stories that I may share some time... but, as an aside.. I don't carry cards ... ever. As MUCH as I love a deftly performed card "Trick"... It just seems to promote the exact response
from lay people that you are discussing here. Card TRICKS!!!

If I ever do anything in bars... it is usually one on one- one/two Smile And mostly always done with either 'found' objects.. Getting the participant to ask the bar for some paper and a pen) or... My self going to the bar to "Ask" if I can borrow a "Note Pad" and a "Pen/Sharpie" (If you get my drift Smile

Paper and pen... with the occasional borrowed necklace from the girl, and fashioned in to a make shift pendulum is all the material you may ever need.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Another bad performance....ugh (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL