The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Willful Blindness And Disposable Hereos (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Profile of General_Magician
I think there is a "willful blindness" in our society. It reminded me of Metallica's song "Disposable Hereos" reading this article. It really hurt to read this article:

Quote:
CNN wrote:

The Air Force admitted Thursday that it sent more sets of military personnel remains to a Virginia landfill than it originally acknowledged.

Backtracking on initial information about how it handled the remains of American service members killed in Iraq and Afghanistan, the Air Force now says the cremated body parts of hundreds of the fallen were burned and dumped in the landfill.

Earlier, the Air Force said only a small number of body parts had been buried in a commercial landfill and claimed it would be impossible to make a final determination of how many remains were disposed of in that manner.

The Washington Post broke the story Thursday, and the Air Force now confirms that body fragments linked to at least 274 fallen military personnel sent to the Dover Air Force Base Mortuary were cremated, incinerated and buried with medical waste. That procedure was in place between November 2003 and May 1, 2008. The Air Force also said that 1,762 body parts were never identified and also were disposed of, first by cremation, then by further incineration and then buried in a landfill.

Congressman Rush Holt, D-New Jersey, Thursday accused the Pentagon of what he called "willful blindness" in not acting faster to identify and correct the problems and fully report them.
'Vietnam type' wall in Iraq for soldiers

"For years, this has been handled unceremoniously and insensitively and, I would say, dishonorably," Holt said in a telephone interview. He said he had been asking the Pentagon for months about information about Dover, on behalf of a constituent whose husband was killed five years ago.

"They don't get it. They don't understand the degree of dishonor involved in all of this," Holt said.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/12/08/us/militar......pt=hp_t2

I listened to Metallica's song "One" after reading this article:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mH2XdUs6xQ

It brought back a lot of the moral lessons that I studied in Sun Tzu's book the "Art of War." "It is only one who is thoroughly acquainted with the evils of war which can thoroughly understand the profitable way of carrying it on" and the most profitable way to carry it is to "subdue the enemy without fighting." Wisdom which has stood the test of time for thousands of years.
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5691 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Wow, that is very dishonorable...

So wrong on so many levels.

So wrong even if they weren't servicemen/women.

It's like...

All gave some, some gave all.

Then they threw them in the dump. Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Quote:
On 2011-12-09 14:30, Pakar Ilusi wrote:

It's like...

Yes it is dishonorable Pakar. But it's best to look on the bright side. We are still alive and life is a gift. I will always remember my fallen fellow soldiers as people who died so that others may live. So I live a good life to bring honor to them. Nobody "wins" in a war. Even if you "win" you still lose. That's why the acme of skill is to win without fighting.
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5691 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2011-12-09 14:32, General_Magician wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-12-09 14:30, Pakar Ilusi wrote:

It's like...

Yes it is dishonorable Pakar. But it's best to look on the bright side. We are still alive and life is a gift. I will always remember my fallen fellow soldiers as people who died so that others may live. So I live a good life to bring honor to them. Nobody "wins" in a war. Even if you "win" you still lose. That's why the acme of skill is to win without fighting.

Agreed, to hell with war.

But to give your life for your country and to have your cremated remains dumped in a landfill?

Wow, that's low by any standards.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1189 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2011-12-09 14:32, General_Magician wrote:
Nobody "wins" in a war. Even if you "win" you still lose. That's why the acme of skill is to win without fighting.

That's nice when it's possible, anyway.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Quote:
That's nice when it's possible, anyway.

Those teachings came from a book, which is required reading at West Point and throughout much of the US military. To win without fighting is in almost all cases possible, but it also requires brains, discipline, wisdom, courage and planning. Most wars are preventable and it's also not smart to take bait from an enemy that wants to provoke you into rage to get you into a long, drawn out, protracted war which plays into an exhaustion strategy and bankrupts the country financially and economically. It's better to outsmart the enemy than to outfight him. "Know yourself and know your enemy."

So Al-queda is the enemy and it's important to know the enemy in order to have a better chance to defeat the enemy. According to David Kilcullen (author of the "Accidental Guerrilla" and also advised the Bush Administration), part of Al-queda's modus operandi is infection, provocation, protraction and exhaustion. They go to some of these unstable Middle East or Islamic countries with vulnerable populations, try to win the local population over to their side, then set up terrorist camps, launch terrorist attacks on the US or US interests to provoke the US into military action into that country where those terrorist camps are and then protract out the conflict as part of an exhaustion strategy to bankrupt the US. Given that is the strategy and modus operandi of the enemy, it is not smart to taken any bait or take any action that would play into such an enemy strategy. It is better to attack the enemy strategy to defeat him rather than trying to outfight him. Wars are ultimately won with the intellect and you can wage war, without ever fighting at all.

Just look at China. They are taking over the world right now without ever fighting or engaging in any combat or firing a shot whatsoever. I also think China is following Sun Tzu's dictum of "win without fighting" by pursuing a strategy of economic entanglement of the US (buying up US debt and offering cheap labor markets to US business which entangles us economically, currency manipulation and debt ownership enable China to become more powerful economically and have some leverage on us and it also enable them to spend more money on their military).

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1189 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
On the other hand, appeasement and "peace at all costs" wasn't going to stop Hitler. "almost all cases" is, IMO, a bit of an overstatement. There's lots of required reading in US military academies. There's a reason that a lot of it has to do with combat.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5691 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2011-12-09 17:51, LobowolfXXX wrote:
On the other hand, appeasement and "peace at all costs" wasn't going to stop Hitler. "almost all cases" is, IMO, a bit of an overstatement. There's lots of required reading in US military academies. There's a reason that a lot of it has to do with combat.

Yes. Smile
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Quote:
On 2011-12-09 17:51, LobowolfXXX wrote:

I agree. "Peace at all costs" simply doesn't work. But I do have an appreciation for the costs of war and prefer it to be the absolute last resort method to settling disputes or solving problems. Sometimes you do have to fight and if that is the case, then winning quick victory with the least amount of blood and treasure spent is best. Wars cost a lot of money and lives, so the quickest that a war can be prosecuted, finished and victory achieved, then the better. But again, if possible, it is best to win without fighting.

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Willful Blindness And Disposable Hereos (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL