The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The award for worst design concept of 2011 goes to... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
I wonder if the design plans made front page news when they were published in Asia and Europe. I suspect not. But, be that as it may, they made front page news here and were not well received, to put it mildly.

I believe the architects and developers got the message and will most likely modify the design.

I, for one, would like to see how the South Korean government has reacted to the controversy.

Good thoughts,

Bob
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5852 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Quote:
On 2011-12-13 20:15, Salguod Nairb wrote:
So is Asia and Europe ignorant as well?
is everyone in Europe and Asia a design professional on the international stage?

I'd be interested to see it but... I only have one possible middle ground which comes to mind. And since that was not the concept or intention, it would be awfully darn hollow. That would be turning the structure into a memorial by inscribing around the ground floor of the building the names of those killed in the attacks.

Other than that the building of this aesthetic will be an offense to many, many people around the world. Enough to bring lousy press to the development. Probably.
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
I understand that Danny that is why I'm trying to come across as civil even if you disagree with me. I take in account that what I hear and what I say may be misconstrued.
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
Tom, I think the article was referring to the advertisement/photos being shown in Asia and Europe. They did not list the publications.

Bob, I suspect they will most likely change the plans. What if they connected three towers with a cloud? Would that suffice or do they need to change the shape of the towers completely?
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
I have no idea if that would work or not. But the basic "cloud" concept, as illustrated by the Expo 67 Habitat for Humanity photo posted earlier in the thread, looked pretty good.

Another factor that hasn't been mentioned yet is the fact that this year is the 10th anniversary of 9/11 and the new twin towers are very nearly complete. So the timing of the Dutch designers' publication of their design wasn't exactly stellar either.

For those who are interested in how New Yorkers are responding to the Korean "Cloud Towers," here is a link to the coverage on WPIX-TV, N.Y. :

http://www.wpix.com/news/wpix-cloud-towe......15.story

Good thoughts,

Bob
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
Since they are building multiple buildings I think a ring of cloud towers would be cool.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20613 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2011-12-13 20:47, Salguod Nairb wrote:
I understand that Danny that is why I'm trying to come across as civil even if you disagree with me. I take in account that what I hear and what I say may be misconstrued.

You understand yet you continue to misrepresent what people say.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5024 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On 2011-12-13 19:53, Dannydoyle wrote:
To be fair not everyone thinks serial killing is despicable, but it is. (I get a point for NOT using a Hitler reference.

So you're using the Lobo Jeffrey Dahmer defense, eh? I still think that's deserving of a percentage of a Hitler point. Smile
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1194 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
There's an entire generation growing up around us who mistakenly believe that reductio ad absurdum is a fallacy, not a tool of argumentation.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1194 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
I don't think they did it on purpose, but it really is uncanny. I mean, if Osama Bin Laden had commissioned them to make it look like the WTC Towers on 9/11, it's hard to imagine what they would have done differently.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5024 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On 2011-12-13 23:31, LobowolfXXX wrote:
There's an entire generation growing up around us who mistakenly believe that reductio ad absurdum is a fallacy, not a tool of argumentation.

Agreed. I actually think Godwin's law is misused and overgeneralized.

It's the kind of thing that Hitler would have used.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2011-12-13 23:34, LobowolfXXX wrote:
I don't think they did it on purpose, but it really is uncanny. I mean, if Osama Bin Laden had commissioned them to make it look like the WTC Towers on 9/11, it's hard to imagine what they would have done differently.

They would've run away as it would've been Osama's ghost... Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Why can't it be a memorial to remember those lost loved ones?

Why see it negatively?
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5852 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Because that would be a bumper sticker slapped over the offense to cover it up.
JRob
View Profile
Veteran user
Central South Carolina
395 Posts

Profile of JRob
I find all this talk of "intent" hilarious. I say this because of something that happened not long after I joined this merry band. I mentioned that I thought a particular business got "gypped" on an ad and I was excoriated for using an offensive word. It was explained that my use of "gypped" was offensive to Romany people because of the association with gypsies. My ignorance of such and my absence of intent was no mitigation of how offensive the post was. The real kicker was when the same person who protested my use of "gypped" used the term "welsher" in reference to one who backs out on an agreement. Perhaps the poster was ignorant of the slur that is towards people who's lines of descent go through Wales. I guess the clown who jumped all over me was unaware of his hypocrisy so he isn't a hypocrite.
"Jim Roberts, AKA: Professor Jay Rob "<br>
The Professor's Facebook Page
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20613 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2011-12-13 23:24, landmark wrote:
Quote:
To be fair not everyone thinks serial killing is despicable, but it is. (I get a point for NOT using a Hitler reference.

So you're using the Lobo Jeffrey Dahmer defense, eh? I still think that's deserving of a percentage of a Hitler point. Smile

Using the logic of some on this thread he simply had an "eating disorder".
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20613 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2011-12-13 23:31, LobowolfXXX wrote:

Well I agree there is an entire generation that does not know how to use it so it is NOT a fallacy.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5024 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On 2011-12-14 10:39, Dannydoyle wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-12-13 23:24, landmark wrote:
Quote:

Using the logic of some on this thread he simply had an "eating disorder".

Touché! Lol.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The award for worst design concept of 2011 goes to... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL