The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The award for worst design concept of 2011 goes to... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Hypersensitive regarding the feelings of the multinational survivors and families of the victims of the worst attack on American soil since Pearl Harbor? No, I don't think so.

And, as I said, the architects' intent, or lack of it, is irrelevant to those who find the design patently offensive.
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
In general Sir, not about 911. Consider Fox news, CNN, and MSNBC trying to fill 24 hours of news and trying to find stories to achieve a gut/offended reaction. On a cultural level I believe it is creating a hypersensitive state.
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20613 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I have to admit to not having read all the posts. (Bob, nice to see your reaction though.)

But let me just say good. I am in total support of it. NO WAY anyone should take our thoughts or feelings into account. It is not offensive in the least John is right and so is everyone else.

Good. This heralds the END OF THE PC ERA! No more having to worry about the feelings of others if some nut wants to burn a holy book of another faith. No more worry about the Ground Zero Mosque. No more worry about offending those who we think need to be searched.

Or is it that WE are the only ones who need to be so enlightened?

Bob I am with Tom on this. I could not be as restrained as you were. Thank you.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5852 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Any catastrophe which befalls that structure would not surprise me. If the designers were ignorant of the image they created, what other things might they be ignorant of?
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
My argument has been one of architecture and intent, not 911. I understand some people are emotionaly vested with their point of view, but not everyone see's it the same way as they do. Just because we don't agree does not make us unreasonable.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1194 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2011-12-13 11:05, Salguod Nairb wrote:
My argument has been one of architecture and intent, not 911. I understand some people are emotionaly vested with their point of view, but not everyone see's it the same way as they do. Just because we don't agree does not make us unreasonable.

Are you talking about the design not being offensive, or the building not being offensive if they build it as submitted, or both?
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Douglas-

You're not unreasonable. I already said that. You just have a different view than many of us about what is and isn't offensive.

And to answer your "general-not related to 9/11" question about whether I think we are, as a culture, becoming hypersensitive to events because of 24 hour news coverage - Possibly. But those who are watching TV for 24 hour periods are probably suffering from many other maladies as well, the least of which would be hypersensitivity.

Good thoughts,

Bob
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
I guess both. The idea of a floating cloud of building cells is a clever idea, especially if they have an open air 'park'. I still don't think they planned on offending anyone and it would be a rather expensive way to do so if they did.
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
Sorry Bob, I didn't mean to take a dig at you about the unreasonable comment which you clarified earlier. It was meant as a response to other posts.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
For the record, I find Bob and Brian to be very reasonable fellows. Good-natured, funny and sympathetic to opposing views.

John

BTW: Salguod--you have two first names or two surnames. Which one is your given name and which one is your family name, dang it?
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
It is my performing name spelled backwards, but Brian is my given name. Spelling it backwards gives it a Middle Eastern ring.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16262 Posts

Profile of tommy
The New World Order
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20613 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Please, one of the people who don't see it as offensive explain to me why it is not offensive when it brings to mind the intentional death of many people? Why is it that when Americans do it it is offensive and others can take all the shots they like? Nonsense.

Unreasonable? Problably just a little bit. I just wish all the PC thought would extend back to us. It only seems 'reasonable' doesn't it?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1194 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2011-12-13 11:56, Salguod Nairb wrote:
It is my performing name spelled backwards, but Brian is my given name. Spelling it backwards gives it a Middle Eastern ring.

That's something else you have in common with Bob. "Bob" is his name spelled backwards, too.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1194 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2011-12-13 11:57, tommy wrote:
The New World Order

Trilateral Commission

Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
@ Lobo Ha!

@ Danny I don't think it was intentional. Once you take into consideration our long friendship with South Korea it is hard to find malice. Yes, some people will be offended because they will associate it with a horrific day. However, once it has been explained that it is suppose to be a floating cloud connecting two buildings perhaps people will see it as that. Also keep in mind that the building hasn't even been built yet.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
It is also important to keep in mind that this is a single artist's drawing of a building that has not been built. None of the other drawings look even remotely like the offending image (IMO). If the building were actually constructed, how much work would you have to do to get in the right position to see the offending image? Who knows?

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5852 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
When people try this hard to justify their offensive position, it speaks volumes.
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
Ok, I will try to see things from your perspective.

Nope, didn't work. I can still see both sides of the discussion. So what am I doing wrong?
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2011-12-12 17:28, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
In 1987 a tornado ripped through Edmonton, killing 27 people and causing hundreds of millions of dollars damage. It was probably the worst natural disaster in our province's history.

A couple of weeks later, a Calvin and Hobbes cartoon described the devastation of a tornado with details that looked an awful lot like the Edmonton tornado. Understandably people were outraged, and Bill Watterson replied that the similarities were a mere coincidence and that no slight was intended.

It's likely that the Calvin and Hobbes strip was drawn well before the tornado hit Edmonton; my understanding is that comic strip artists try to have a backlog of material lest they run short.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The award for worst design concept of 2011 goes to... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL