The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The award for worst design concept of 2011 goes to... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On 2011-12-13 13:18, Tom Cutts wrote:
When people try this hard to justify their offensive position, it speaks volumes.

Are you referring to me, Tom?

What offensive position are you accusing me of having?

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Quote:
On 2011-12-13 13:36, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-12-12 17:28, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
In 1987 a tornado ripped through Edmonton, killing 27 people and causing hundreds of millions of dollars damage. It was probably the worst natural disaster in our province's history.

A couple of weeks later, a Calvin and Hobbes cartoon described the devastation of a tornado with details that looked an awful lot like the Edmonton tornado. Understandably people were outraged, and Bill Watterson replied that the similarities were a mere coincidence and that no slight was intended.

It's likely that the Calvin and Hobbes strip was drawn well before the tornado hit Edmonton; my understanding is that comic strip artists try to have a backlog of material lest they run short.

Of course, and that is the point. The nerve was raw and people were understandably upset. But it is a mistake to accuse the cartoonist of targeting a real-life news event. (BTW my memory was slightly off; the tornado was July 31, 1987 and the strip came out in November 6, 1987.)
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20614 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I am refering to those who hate Ann Coulter and don't want to hear an explination. I am refering to those who hate Fox News and don't bother to do their research. Why is it in those cases the explinations are excuses? Transparant.

Like I said why not hold the world to the same standard? IDEAS are offensive, at least we have been told that.

Tom you are right, it speaks volumes... and isn't really as shocking as it should be to me.

Tough to hide now and tough to deflect what is really felt.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
Danny, your first post mentioned that you had not read all the posts yet. Have you since read them and the attached back story?
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5852 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Quote:
On 2011-12-13 13:32, Salguod Nairb wrote:
Ok, I will try to see things from your perspective.

Nope, didn't work. I can still see both sides of the discussion. So what am I doing wrong?
Being a jerk about it. I haven't read anything here by you to make me believe you see both sides. I may have missed it between all your "it's an American problem" posts.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5852 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Quote:
On 2011-12-13 13:37, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-12-13 13:18, Tom Cutts wrote:
When people try this hard to justify their offensive position, it speaks volumes.

Are you referring to me, Tom?

What offensive position are you accusing me of having?

John
Among others...

I had a childhood friend. One day we were playing tag in our neighborhood. He was more comfortable running through his neighbors yards than I. In one case he trampled right through a neighbor's flower bed. Seeing this the neighbor called him over and gave him what for about trampling her newly planted flower bed. I'm not sure what he said but after the neighbor closed the door my friend (not with malice but just of stupidity) ran right through the same flower bed in leaving the property.

Likewise... Designing the building the way it is, was at best just plain ignorant. Building it will be offensive.
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
Tom, you are the one generalizing that if anyone disagrees or see's things different from you are speaking volumes about themselves.

I have said that I can see both sides in previous posts. I will admit that people that are hypersensitive is one of my pet peeves.

The original discussion (IMO) is about the perception of the building, and if there was an intent to offend.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20614 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2011-12-13 13:48, Salguod Nairb wrote:
Danny, your first post mentioned that you had not read all the posts yet. Have you since read them and the attached back story?

I have not read ALL the posts. That does not mean I didn't read the attached back story. It does not change anything. It is still pathetic.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20614 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2011-12-13 14:17, Salguod Nairb wrote:
Tom, you are the one generalizing that if anyone disagrees or see's things different from you are speaking volumes about themselves.

I have said that I can see both sides in previous posts. I will admit that people that are hypersensitive is one of my pet peeves.

The original discussion (IMO) is about the perception of the building, and if there was an intent to offend.

And he is generalizing about those who make excuses for things like this not about those who disagree with him. Get it straight. If I am not mistaken, all of those non Americans who are not "offended" are really offended by so many other things.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
It's not an excuse to have a difference in opinion.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Just curious, Tom. Are any of these comments offensive?

What a bunch of gutless twerps—Marlin 1894

It is quite obvious what it resembles and if built as such is a slap in the face to the USA—Acesover

I'm surprised they didn't have the tail end of a plane sticking out—Tom Jorgenson

Any catastrophe which befalls that structure would not surprise me—Tom Cutts
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5852 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Quote:
On 2011-12-13 14:17, Salguod Nairb wrote:

Nope, I didn't generalize anything of the sort. But I'm amused at your generalization of my specific statement. Well played irony!

Are you admitting to being hypersensitive about hypersensitive people? Smile

There appears to be one discussion about semantics and intention, and one about the actual outcome.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5852 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Quote:
On 2011-12-13 14:39, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:

Mostly the final one for being taken out of context. Shame on you, but thank you for saving me the time of exposing your true character.
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
It must be wonderful to live in a world of absolutes.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Tom, personal attacks are completely inappropriate at the Café. I am reporting your post.

Now you have a chance to reveal your character. Are you pleased to attack me because we disagree about a sketch of a proposed building? Are you man enough to delete your personal attack?

Now you have a chance to reveal your character, Tom. What will it be?

John
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Quote:
On 2011-12-13 14:39, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:

What a bunch of gutless twerps—Marlin 1894

Oh well, you know. I didn't mean for it to be offensive. You know, if those guys would be offended by being called gutless twerps, well then, you know, I'm sorry. I feel bad for them. That was certainly never my intention.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5852 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Magnus,

What personal attack?

Sorry to interrupt continue on...
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

You are commenting on my character, Tom. There is no doubt that you are being disparaging.

If you wish to disagree with what I say, then let's talk. But for you to go on about "exposing your true character" is utter rubbish. And I suspect you know it.

So Tom. Care to retract comments about my character, and to engage in a respectful discussion?

Honourable people can disagree without either one having their character called into question.

John
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
I'm upset that I didn't get included on the list of offensive statements. I thought my comment, about going to a church costume party dressed like the Pope and wearing a tutu, was at least worthy of an honorable mention.

:eek:
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Profile of Kevin Connolly
No harm, no foul. Move on.
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The award for worst design concept of 2011 goes to... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL