We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Bob Cassidy question??? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

BIlly James
View Profile
Special user
991 Posts

Profile of BIlly James
Hi folks,

Can anyone tell me if the book 'The Art of Mentalism 2' has the same effects as The Mental Miracles DVD. If the book has different effects, could you tell me basically what they are.

Many thanks

Billy
Zack
View Profile
Special user
551 Posts

Profile of Zack
I don't know whats on the tape, but I can tell you whats in the book (if memory serves)

Psychological force
Name/place billet test
Book test
3 Envelope test
Memorized deck

Its a careful analysis of a 45 minute act.

Whats on the video???
jlibby
View Profile
Inner circle
1022 Posts

Profile of jlibby
Name/Place, three envelope routine, and memorized deck are on the video, along with Chronologue.

see ya!
Joe L.
Ugly $5 Report is GOLD!

Grab your copy now:
https://makequickcashonlinenow.co.business
BIlly James
View Profile
Special user
991 Posts

Profile of BIlly James
Thanks Zack and Jlibby,

It sounds as though the book covers the act that was performed and explained on the video. Thanks for your help.

Cheers

Billy
CSMTREE
View Profile
Veteran user
El Paso, Texas
312 Posts

Profile of CSMTREE
Is it just me, or is anyone else put off by Bob Cassidy's performance on the tape? I found him to be very rude at times to his audience. I'm not trying to slam him, just asking???? I also ordered the book. Smile
"Freedom is the best Magic of all"
Natural Mystic
View Profile
Elite user
Atlanta, GA
499 Posts

Profile of Natural Mystic
Hi CSMTREE,

Isn't it amazing how mentalism and propaganda are so similar. Here is an example of time misdirection or one ahead:

If you give a man the correct information for seven years, he may believe the incorrect information on the first day of the eighth year when it is necessary, from your point of view, that he should do so. Your first job is to build the credibility and the authenticity of your propaganda, and persuade the enemy to trust you although you are his enemy.

A Psychological Warfare Casebook Operations Research Office Johns Hopkins University Baltimore (1958)

-------------------------------------------------

There's a war out there old friend, a world war, and it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information: about how we think, how we see and hear, how we work. It's all about information.

"Sneakers", MCA Universal Pictures, 1992

Peace.
"You never change the existing reality by
fighting it. Instead, create a new model that
makes the old one obsolete."
-- R. Buckminster Fuller
BIlly James
View Profile
Special user
991 Posts

Profile of BIlly James
Quote:
On 2003-09-13 13:30, CSMTREE wrote:
Is it just me, or is anyone else put off by Bob Cassidy's performance on the tape? I found him to be very rude at times to his audience. I'm not trying to slam him, just asking???? I also ordered the book. Smile

No, it's not just you, I found his style to be fairly brash at times. I personally would have problems delivering an act entirely in that way. I'm really looking more at his routines than his performance when it comes to that video.

Good luck with the book. Let me know what you think.

Cheers
Billy
Colin
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1304 Posts

Profile of Colin
I personally loved his act, and found nothing wrong with his mannerism, he is just a rather playful gentleman/performer. I feel though if you had been there you would have been in rapport with everyone else and would have found it humours too. (First time I've used a script like that outside my act)

Personally I would have paid well over the price of the tape just for the Name/Place routine. It is a simple masterpiece of live mentalism, and even if the audience thinks you somehow impossibly know whats on the billet they are holding (which never happens), you totally slay them with the second phase, so its deadly when performed correctly.

I have changed most of his effects to suit myself, as would be expected as I don't feel he'd appreciate people copying him word for word. This is also what was so great about his material, there is so much room for the presentation to be changed to suit yourself, without making the routine look 'messy'.

So much to be learned from him,

Colin
Check out Psych-Artist.com now for free essays and other resources.
BonzoTheClown
View Profile
Regular user
176 Posts

Profile of BonzoTheClown
CSMTree, he can get away with that style and hold an audience in his hand and make them walk out with a big smile on their face. You might not be able to, so develop a style that suits you.

Bob is a creative guy and knows what he's talking about with many years of performing experience behind him.

Marc Climens
CSMTREE
View Profile
Veteran user
El Paso, Texas
312 Posts

Profile of CSMTREE
Thanks for the feedback folks. No question he's a great Mentalist and performer. He's probably making way more money and doing more shows than I, as many of you are. I just see way to many Magician's/Mentalist being somewhat disrepectful to their audience and I don't think any amount of expertise can excuse it. Again, just MY opinion. This is a great forum for Magicians to communicate and review. Sorry Bob, nothing personal!!! My best to all!

Smile

Just received The Art of Mentalism book. Looks really good and has different effect than on the tape. Some may be the same but, the book has way more. Just thought you all might want to know.

:spinningcoin:
"Freedom is the best Magic of all"
Bambaladam
View Profile
Special user
636 Posts

Profile of Bambaladam
You must remember also that the performance on the video is not exactly "live". It was shot at a convention I believe, and is not representative of Bob's show when he performs for muggles.

/bamba
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2192 Posts

Profile of ddyment
The performance in question was taped at a PEA convention several years back... so Bob was working mostly to his friends (though several lay people were in the audience). For example, Marc Salem and I are the two audience members who assist with the card memory effect.

But to be honest, Bob's personality and delivery style are well represented on the tape. If you have his CD (which contains radio and TV clips), you'll see pretty much the same "Right Reverend Dr. Bob"!

... Doug
Doug Dyment's Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More
Colin
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1304 Posts

Profile of Colin
I don't mean to change the subject of this post, but it saves me starting another for a very similar question.

I am very interested in getting Art of Mentalism 1, however I can't find any information on it other than the brief statement on websites.

So would someone be so kind as to atleast post a list of its contents? I would really appreciate it.

Best Wishes,

Colin
Check out Psych-Artist.com now for free essays and other resources.
jlibby
View Profile
Inner circle
1022 Posts

Profile of jlibby
Quote:
On 2003-09-17 10:41, ddyment wrote:
The performance in question was taped at a PEA convention several years back... so Bob was working mostly to his friends (though several lay people were in the audience). For example, Marc Salem and I are the two audience members who assist with the card memory effect.

THAT'S where I've seen you before!!!!! Smile Smile

See ya!
Joe L.
Ugly $5 Report is GOLD!

Grab your copy now:
https://makequickcashonlinenow.co.business
BIlly James
View Profile
Special user
991 Posts

Profile of BIlly James
Hi Colin,

Here is a rundown -
The presentation of mentalism
Handling the audience
Audience reading
3 envelope test
2 envelope test
A picture and a word
The atlas test
The Esquire magazine test
The memory drive
Russian roulette
The ethics of mentalism

Cheers
Billy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Bob Cassidy question??? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL