The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Silk size question before I order, a little help real quick please (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Head Case
View Profile
Inner circle
1138 Posts

Profile of Head Case
So I'm getting ready to order some 24in silks for my Fantasio candles, but I also need a silk for a glass production (close-up routine), I'm wondering if the 24's will work for this of If I should get a smaller size. It's something along the lines of David stones one coin routine, what size silk does he use? I plan on keeping the silk in my breast pocket of my coat, so too big will bulge, and too small will not cover enough. Any suggestions on size?

I'm also thinking about ordering this from Madhatter Magic. They sell bulk flash paper for really cheap, and the silks are only like 2-4 dollars a pop depending on size. Anyone order from them before?

Thanks
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20514 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
For canes and candles, you might should seek some professional advice first. Good diamond cuts are frequently the first choice.

Remember that silks are measured by the straight hemmed edge. Diagonal measurements are not the measure used by the better dealers to overcharge for smaller silks. Read dealer ads very carefully. There is a table devoted to silk sizes at the top of this topic that should help you with measurements.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......rum=54#0

Also momme is a measure of mass and is no indicator of silk quality. Silk quality is related to uniformity of weave, color integrity and hems. Price is also not a dependable indicator of quality.

Good silk is also transparent compared to cheap synthetics.

Read this Smooth as Silk topic very seriously and there is plenty of experience from other magicians here that can save you some problems.

Enjoy your silk magic.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22736 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I only use Rice Silk King Studio silks in my magic act. For Fantasio Candles you can use 24", Fantasio uses 18" for some reason, so his candle shows when covered. If you watch the many videos of him on YouTube you will see the bottom of his candles show, and he brings the corner he is holding to the front of the candle. So the choice is yours.

Bob Sanders also sells very high quality silks, I would buy from him as well. Ask him for a price list.

For close up magic, I would use the men's pocket hankies sold in men's departments at stores. They are pures silk and are not see through, very good for close up magic. They are 22" square so you get plenty of coverage. If you don't want bulk just fold it using the flat fold. I really do not understand the bulge comment, are you trying to hide the silk in the brest pocket? If you have a hanky in the pocket, and a good quality jacket, you should not get very much bulge.

May I suggest you use the PM or telephone if you need instant advice. A forum usually depends who is on the Forum and if they even read you questions. Weekends do not have many members on the Café. Most members are on the job when they are on the Café, from 9 to 5, Monday thru Friday.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Silk size question before I order, a little help real quick please (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL