The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Another Dove Frame Thread (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5718 Posts

Profile of Regan
I got involved in another "Dove Frame" thread and reading the posts got me once again interested in a Dove Frame. After making some inquiries I realized I had too many questions, so in order to keep from hi-jacking that other thread, I decided to start my own "Dove Frame" thread.

Some of the questions may appear in each thread, but I felt this would be the best. Anyway, here goes!

Most all of the Dove Frame posts I have seen are about the Lipan Dove Frame. What other Dove Frames are available? Which is the best quality? The Lipan Frame sounds good, but I think I would prefer to produce only one dove. The Lipan Frame only comes with 2 doves in the picture, correct?

Also, I have noticed several different variations of the picture (drawing). I think I have seen at least 3 different versions of the picture on what appears to be the Lipan frame. Why? Has it changed over the years? If so, is one any better than the other. Are some of these knock-offs?

Since I am probably only going to want to produce 1 dove with the Dove Frame during the routine I'm planning, I'm thinking I might be better off with getting a frame that has only 1 dove in the picture. Thoughts?

Dynamike, you mentioned that your Dove Frame had only 1 dove in the picture. Which one do you have and where did you get it?

As you can tell from all these questions, I am needing help! I want to get a good one, but I started seeing all these differences and I am uncertain about a lot of things.

Thanks so much!

Regan
Mister Mystery
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22800 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The best Dove Frame I seen was the one Rich Moratta and Twila Zone perform. It is on their DVD.

http://www.mjmmagic.com/store/dynamic-du......176.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEjgiOg7eqU It is at the 1 minute mark on the promo video.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5718 Posts

Profile of Regan
Thanks Bill. I will try and watch the clip.
Mister Mystery
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
You will a few type on the Youtube page: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVZjuPNGnuk&feature=related

I have the Siam brand. I got it from Penguin Magic. I see it is discontinued: http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S7745
I could be wrong, maybe mine had two birds on. I can not remember exactly because I had the birds airbrushed out.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5718 Posts

Profile of Regan
Thanks Mike. Yes, I have been watching some YouTube clips and I am discovering some things about the Dove Frame. I can now tell the difference between a Lipan and a Siam frame. There is still another one I have seen that looks similar, yet is different. I'm not sure what to make of it. One thing I picked up on is that you mentioned yours did not lock. Did I understand that right? Seems that would not be a good thing.

Also, I found a solid black one with the felt bird, and I the Tora model. So now I know there are at least 3 I have identified, and 2 others I have not. (1 may be custom made) Anyway, thanks so much for your help. I hope some owners of the ones I have mentioned will post with some reviews so I can compare these various models and get some pros and cons for each of them.

The Tora model is the most expensive I have seen, and it has only one bird.
The Lipan and Siam models look similar, but the Lipan model is more expensive. Both these picture 2 birds.

Thanks again.
Mister Mystery
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2011-12-13 09:01, Regan wrote:
One thing I picked up on is that you mentioned yours did not lock. Did I understand that right?

Yes, you understood right. I have two way to present mine since it does not lock. One way is to have it on a frame as it sits up facing the audience. But I will use a thick rubber band to keep the flap locked in position. When I get to it, I pull off the rubber band keeping the flap in locking position with my fingers. The other way I present it is to have it laying face down behind some other prop so no one will see it. I just reach over to pick it up keeping it in locking position with my fingers when I am ready.

I made a felt for mine too. I show the plain branch with the background. Next I put on the felt. The next picture is airbrushed to look like the first one. No eggs, no nest, just the branch.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5718 Posts

Profile of Regan
Thanks Mike. It seems strange that it would not lock. Was it made that way? Or possibly damaged?
Mister Mystery
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
It was made with no locking device at all. That is why I invented a way for it to lock with a rubber band. When it is laid face down, there is no way for the bird to appear, so that is another way to keep it in place.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5718 Posts

Profile of Regan
It seems like it would have been easy enough for the manufacturer to add a locking mechanism. I would think one is really needed. I'm sure most everyone that bought one of these had to come up with something like you did before the prop was usable.
Mister Mystery
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
That probably the one I have is the cheapest price one.

The manufacture was probably expecting magicians to walk on stage holding the trick in their hands at the start, using the fingers to keep it from opening until the right time.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5718 Posts

Profile of Regan
Yeah, you're probably right. Still, a lock seems like a no-brainer.
Mister Mystery
Lou Cirulli
View Profile
Special user
587 Posts

Profile of Lou Cirulli
I use the Tora dove frame. It is for one dove and it is AWESOME! Bit pricey though!
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5718 Posts

Profile of Regan
Thanks Lou.
Mister Mystery
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20534 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Yep! You know that my friends would be involved in what sounds like Chicago politics: Framing a Dove.

Actually, you have hit on something that I wish more prop builders would consider. Any prop that can only be used as an opener, is not the first choice for working magicians. Making the prop useful anywhere in the show can make all the difference in purchasing decisions.

Scheme!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5718 Posts

Profile of Regan
Quote:
On 2011-12-15 08:44, Bob Sanders wrote:
Yep! You know that my friends would be involved in what sounds like Chicago politics: Framing a Dove.

Actually, you have hit on something that I wish more prop builders would consider. Any prop that can only be used as an opener, is not the first choice for working magicians. Making the prop useful anywhere in the show can make all the difference in purchasing decisions.

Scheme!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

Bob, that was a good one! Smile

I knew you liked figuring out ways to use "opener-only" props at any at anytime during your show when I bought T.H.I.S. from you. Maybe you and me can strong-arm some of these manufacturers into being more considerate of that need! A lousy Chicago politician and a great lobbyist might be able to get something done! Smile

Hey, I'm just glad you called me your friend!

Regan
Mister Mystery
IDOTRIX
View Profile
Elite user
Darien,il
467 Posts

Profile of IDOTRIX
Who's frame does Rich Marrotta use?
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5718 Posts

Profile of Regan
I'm not sure, but I am thinking that it may be a custom-made dove frame that Rich uses. I have been trying to research these things for a week and I have not come across any for sale that looks like it.
Mister Mystery
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2486 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
When I want to do a dove frame effect I just use my dove tray. hold it up like a frame and boom there you go. sure it is not a Pretty as the others but I put a frame around it and it works well.

I love the dove tray much more then the frames but have considered getting one some day,

I will say that I am appaled at those videos where they are just shooting the dove out and letting it fall to the floor! whats up with that.

you need to catch the dove!!!

good luck what ever one you get.
sam
sam sandler- America's only full-time DEAF Illusionist
http://www.samsandler.com
http://www.deafinitelymagic.com
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5718 Posts

Profile of Regan
Sam, I had thought about doing that too. I have the Dave Powell Balloon-To-Dove, but in the end I decided I wanted a dove frame. I think the pictures of the doves will work better for my routine.

By the way, I was fortunate to find a genuine Lipan Dove Frame. It was advertised to be in "Mint" condition. When I spoke with the seller he said it was pristine, and didn't appear to even be used at all.

Julio Lipan passed away some time back so these are no longer being made. There are copies, and even one is still being sold as a "Lipan Dove Frame", but I have been told that it is far inferior to the original. I do not know if it is licensed or not, and I have not seen a real one, but judging from the price and the pictures I have seen it looks to be a cheaply made copy.

I learned some things about the different dove frame manufactures during the search for a dove frame. It was difficult to figure out what was what, but I'm so glad I took my time. I almost bought one of the knock-offs, but I feel very lucky to have found the original Lipan model.

Regan
Mister Mystery
revmike
View Profile
Special user
Annville, PA
646 Posts

Profile of revmike
Congrats on the purchase.
The magic is not in our sleights and illusions, but instead in our ability to bring love and joy.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Another Dove Frame Thread (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL