The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » A Docu-Series about Latino Identity Pt. 1 (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Natural Mystic
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta, GA
509 Posts

Profile of Natural Mystic
An Afro-latina examines Latino identity

Negro: A Docu-Series about Latino Identity Pt. 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lxKIqWXJIs
"You never change the existing reality by
fighting it. Instead, create a new model that
makes the old one obsolete."
-- R. Buckminster Fuller
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
I loved the woman's comment that "we are everything." As I watched the film, I thought of my own identity as an Italian. The real power of this documentary lies in its subtle message that stereotypes still exist. I have had people tell me that I don't "look" Italian. I have no idea what that means. I really only encountered such comments after moving to the Midwestern US. Except for Chicago, Detroit, and St. Louis, it seems that America's heartland has this "Goodfellas" vision of Italians. Some of these people have been shocked to learned that MANY Italians have light skin, blue eyes, and blonde hair.

I also thought a lot about Dr. King as I watched this and thought again of his dream of a society where we are blind to the color of another's skin and to one's ethnicity. I am proud of my Italian heritage and all all ethnicities should be proud. Yet jokes based upon stereotypes of Italians, Hispanics, Belgians, Chinese, Japanese, Irish, and, well, you name the ethnicity and it has been the butt of jokes, still persist. But our pride should be based IMHO on a greeting of "namaste" which means: "the Divine in me recognizes the Divine in you." In that respect, we ARE everything.

Thank you Natural Mystic for the link to a wonderfully produced film!

Ahimsa,
Vlad
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » A Docu-Series about Latino Identity Pt. 1 (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL