The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Show in school gym help (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

guyactor
View Profile
Veteran user
355 Posts

Profile of guyactor
I've been asked to present about three effects late spring before school is out in a pretty large gym at a junior high school. 900 students. Bleachers are the 'riser' type with multiple levels. I've got no effects large enough for this.

Students will be on all sides except directly behind.

Limited funds (selling house soon) but plenty of showmanship. Willing to entertain all types of suggestions.
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Do you not have stand up material? Could use standards. Rope, Rings, whatever.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Brian Lehr
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Canada
1605 Posts

Profile of Brian Lehr
"Growing and Shrinking Head" wheel (I think they're from Bob Sanders, but I can't remember)
Vanishing Bandana
Sword Thru Neck
Giant 3-Card Monte
Straitjacket escape
Cereal Killer (Nick Lakin)
Roulette game, such as Tetanus or the Pain Game

You say you have "limited funds", so, what effects do you already have?

Brian
guyactor
View Profile
Veteran user
355 Posts

Profile of guyactor
Jim and Brian. I've got closeup and some small 'parlor' type effects. Even the "Head' wheel would be too small. I'm talking almost a 1000 students on three sides. Regular size basketball court. Students will be at least 200 feet from where I would be on the floor near one side. I'm thinking something like the chair suspension, etc. Trying to stay away from things one has to have to be only in front to get the effect. I've got the giant 3 Card Monte (Joe Monte).

I own no effects large enough that can play to 1000 people in a gym. Thus, my presenting my senario to you guys who do this! Thanks.
Brian Lehr
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Canada
1605 Posts

Profile of Brian Lehr
I have both the small and large shrinking head illusion; the large would work good for you.

Chair suspension would work good if you had a smaller child; mine only holds child up to about 90 lbs.

Just curious, why did you agree to do a mini-show when you don't have the effects to do it? I realize that you've got a few months to practice, which would be great if you were able to get the necessary effects, but you also said you had limited funds. So, if you're going to agree to do such a performance, you either have to already have the material needed, or the money available to buy the items.

Just my two cents.

BTW, here are some other items I've done with a crowd of 1500:

Baxt Comedy Mouthcoil Routine
Arrowhead
Snake Basket
Five Card Opener
Hat Tear
Professor Cheers Comedy Rope Routine
Ropes Thru Body

Brian
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
If you know the rings and can get your hands on 12 inchers, you're all set to go for that size crowd. Also, a good rope routine. Maybe make sure it's 3/8 inch not 1/4 rope. Whit Haydn's played his rope routine to twice that size crowd. Could also do a snowstorm. Remember, Houdini did the needles at the Hipodrome.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Dixie
View Profile
Loyal user
219 Posts

Profile of Dixie
Are you good in woodwork?
The "Ark of Tibet" (Osborne, Build Your Own Illusions, Book Two, page 49-51)
is not difficult to build and has good potential.

Richard
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
The Baxt Mouthcoil routine plays very well in front of large crowds. That is inexpensive and very easy to do.

I have also done a D'Lite routine in front of very large crowds that played well.

Andrew Mayne has several illusions that you can build "on the cheap"that would play well, as well.
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
In my opinion I would stay away from the growing/shrinking head due to the performance constraints. That illusion relies too much on angles for the maximum effect. You can get away with only some in the audience experiencing the maximum effect if the audience is a mixed/family audience, but junior high kids may eat you up if they feel the effect is lame. I also think I would avoid linking rings with a strictly junior high crowd for the same reason. I would recommend a flash restoration newspaper with a story line that is relevant to the audience. I would also stay away from sword thru neck type effects if I were presenting to school kids during school hours at their site. Presenting effects that appear to place yourself in some danger I think is alright, but placing others in "harms way" seems out of line to me for this venue.
Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic book offers inexpensive illusions/effects that are relatively simple to construct. Some libraries or book stores carry it. These may be more easily produced vs the Osborne plans.
w_s_anderson
View Profile
Inner circle
The United States
1226 Posts

Profile of w_s_anderson
I have performed Scott Alexanders "Shattered" and a jumbo size version of "Cardiographic" for crowds numbering around 1000. I have also done a jumbo sized Mental Epic that can be seen from very far away for large crowds. There just happens to be one of those for sale in the grand illusions section!! Smile
guyactor
View Profile
Veteran user
355 Posts

Profile of guyactor
Brian - I couldn't help it. I'm a nice guy.

Appreciate the info. I do have the Mark Wilson course. Need to pull it out. And, long, shiny mouth/hand coils as well as D'Lite. Good calls. Love the flash restoration or anything. Yeah, I am capable in the garage/shop.

Yep, I'm staying away from anything that I would have to say, "Kids, don't try this at home", and mean it. If making a bunny disappear, for comedy, yes....
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2487 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
Strait jacket would be one of the best things I could offer as it can be viewed from all angles and do not need to script a huge story to go with it. can be learned in a few days and perfected in a few months.

I also suggest using a volunteer or two. maybe get yourself a head chopper that always plays good. use a teacher or a principle or just use a kid.

keep in mind this is jr high and cute stuff wont fly with them.

I too must ask why on earth did you agree to this event when you don't have the needed props to present a proper show, having few months to buy, build a nd practice is cutting it really close and not really enough time to perfect the show.

I wish you the best

sam
sam sandler- America's only full-time DEAF Illusionist
http://www.samsandler.com
http://www.deafinitelymagic.com
RWhit
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of RWhit
It sounds like you are not ready. Most anything Billy McComb did fit in his pockets and he played in rooms we would only dream of.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
900 students on bleachers should not be a problem with what you have. How much time will your show take with what you have? Other ativity before or after the assembly comes in?
The growing and shrinking head will work great in those conditions, just did a similar show with it. You may miss a few if the spread is wide, but its worth it.
I think you have enough to do if you are a showman and can control a spectator.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
When I was in school, I would perform for 1000 at once, and I had virtually no budget. A simple sponge ball routine with 2" sponges would work, as would many rope routines and some effects with jumbo cards. With proper lighting, cabaret effects are fine. I certainly had no trouble seeing what was going on in the nose-bleed section, when Blackstone Jr. performed Brainwave for 3000+. But, make sure that the basketball nets are raised up all of the way.
Rocky
View Profile
Elite user
486 Posts

Profile of Rocky
Bill Abbotts five card opener... Comedy linking ring routine(See Aldo Columbinis 3 ring circus)...Bill Abbotts Smart Ass.
Ive used these three effects for "quickie" shows to great responses for all ages.
Easy to do (rings will take practice but the routine is not too technically challenging)so you can focus on presentation.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Show in school gym help (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL