The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » It's not about what you do...it's about you (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Anthony Jacquin
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2220 Posts

Profile of Anthony Jacquin
Quote:
On 2011-12-14 15:42, Scott Burton wrote:
Isn't this the goal: to create a stage persona and act that is unique because it reflects us as individuals?

What strategies do you employ to make the act more about you rather than what you do?

For me, Ken Weber's advice regarding 'Showing your humanity' in Maximum Entertainment hit hard in this area. Great advice. This is easily achieved with some meaningful stories, anecdotes and asides.

Anthony
Anthony Jacquin

Reality is Plastic! The Art of Impromptu Hypnosis
Updated for 2016

Now on Kindle and Audible!
Scott Burton
View Profile
Inner circle
1131 Posts

Profile of Scott Burton
Quote:
On 2011-12-15 09:12, Pete Legend wrote:
It's all about you, moving from trick,trick,trick without giving something of yourself is not self expression. If you don't give them you then what's the point. It's got to me more than look Im clever cause I can s***** billets, maybe it starts like that but then it really has to grow to something more.

Great way to explain it. Cannot agree more.

Being clever is easier than being yourself (does this strike anyone else as being so incredibly odd while still being true?). I cannot blame others for being clever and being proud of it as, well, that is how I started out as well. Perhaps it's a natural position to begin with.

How does one be oneself? Perhaps it starts with a mindset? Perhaps it requires a core confidence in oneself or a certainly level of maturity as a performer? I like to think that I'm only beginning my journey and I'm excited that - year after year - my act continues to improve (even when I thought I could no longer do so).
Scott Burton
View Profile
Inner circle
1131 Posts

Profile of Scott Burton
Quote:
On 2011-12-14 23:00, Eric Samuels wrote:
When working with talent, I always start by determining the person's true characteristics, interests, and quirks, then find and magnify the interesting stuff.

Are you a performance coach or director or similar? How do you determine "the person's true characteristic, interests, and quirks" while separating out what the person wants others to see them as (but may not be accurate?). For example, a beginning performer may want to be cool and edgy when they really would do better coming to terms with their awkward nature (or insert a more subtle example). You have me curious.
Scott Burton
View Profile
Inner circle
1131 Posts

Profile of Scott Burton
Quote:
On 2011-12-15 09:25, Anthony Jacquin wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-12-14 15:42, Scott Burton wrote:
Isn't this the goal: to create a stage persona and act that is unique because it reflects us as individuals?

What strategies do you employ to make the act more about you rather than what you do?

For me, Ken Weber's advice regarding 'Showing your humanity' in Maximum Entertainment hit hard in this area. Great advice. This is easily achieved with some meaningful stories, anecdotes and asides.

Anthony

I would agree that the technique of adding meaningful stories, anecdotes, and asides could be termed as "simple" in that the idea is not complicated. However, I would hesitate to say it is "easy". Would you agree that communicating oneself in a "meaningful", interesting, and entertaining way is an art all to itself?
Anthony Jacquin
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2220 Posts

Profile of Anthony Jacquin
Quote:
On 2011-12-15 09:37, Scott Burton wrote:

I would agree that the technique of adding meaningful stories, anecdotes, and asides could be termed as "simple" in that the idea is not complicated. However, I would hesitate to say it is "easy". Would you agree that communicating oneself in a "meaningful", interesting, and entertaining way is an art all to itself?

Easily may be pushing it Smile An art in itself may be taking it too far. Remembering that it needs to be given attention is a pretty good start when scripting though.

Anthony
Anthony Jacquin

Reality is Plastic! The Art of Impromptu Hypnosis
Updated for 2016

Now on Kindle and Audible!
Magicus
View Profile
Loyal user
281 Posts

Profile of Magicus
Quote:
On 2011-12-15 09:18, Scott Burton wrote:

How do you know this, how specifically do you believe this author has influenced him, and how specifically do you think these books might help with the topic of this thread? I am curious to hear more from you.

Scott - He has made reference to this himself on many occasions. One source I can point you to right away is when he and Phyllis Diller touched on the book on his show with her (I believe Hulu has many of his shows archived for online viewing and so they might have that particular episode).

Since I mentioned his shows, on a side note, if members here haven't ever seen his old shows (or you have but it's been many, many years ago), I recommend you go back and watch several episodes. He breaks many of the rules we hear nowadays that should never be broken... "don't mix magic and mentalism"... "don't use playing cards"... etc. Despite having done many of these things, he still carried a mystique of possibly being real in the eyes of lay folks. Understandably this was easier with the atmosphere of the 60's & 70's as it was acceptable to believe in psychic phenomenon. But it can give you a lot to think about in terms of why he could pull off many "tricks" and still be so sought after.

All the best.
Magicus
View Profile
Loyal user
281 Posts

Profile of Magicus
Quote:
On 2011-12-15 09:27, Scott Burton wrote:

How does one be oneself? ...

I think of how Tarbell (in the Intro to either v7 or v8) mentions how there is no one uniquely like you.... and... once a person truly understands that, is comfortable with it, and knows how to bring those qualities out, they will become great.

And if one is oneself, one would never used canned text for an effect. It can never fit.
Simon (Ted) Edwards
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1528 Posts

Profile of Simon (Ted) Edwards
Quote:
On 2011-12-15 09:27, Scott Burton wrote:
How does one be oneself?

I think confidence is a massive factor. If you drop the shields you'll be more yourself, but more vulnerable.

In my opinion, the key is to know thyself, warts and all, and to accept everything. If you have a big nose, for example, accept it and possibly even exploit it.

This thread is giving me deja vu. There was one about clothing and weight recently. I think if we all looked like Dan Clark the world would be pretty awful!
eSamuels
View Profile
Inner circle
3085 Posts

Profile of eSamuels
Quote:
On 2011-12-15 09:33, Scott Burton wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-12-14 23:00, Eric Samuels wrote:
When working with talent, I always start by determining the person's true characteristics, interests, and quirks, then find and magnify the interesting stuff.

Are you a performance coach or director or similar? How do you determine "the person's true characteristic, interests, and quirks" while separating out what the person wants others to see them as (but may not be accurate?). For example, a beginning performer may want to be cool and edgy when they really would do better coming to terms with their awkward nature (or insert a more subtle example). You have me curious.

I spent decades directing on-air performers in the radio business; specifically developing morning shows, which is where character and personality are most essential. I also work with stand-up comics, magicians, mentalists, etc., working on character development and providing performance feedback.

First thing I learned is that it takes time to determine a person's natural characteristics. You can tell some things immediately by watching a performance and spending time with the person. But the process is ongoing and takes time. In fact, many great performers never stop seeking feedback. As an example, look at what Andy Nyman brought to Derren's performance.

There are some shortcuts, including a simple psychological motivational test that I developed to help me better understand how they see themselves and what is truly important to them. I quickly learned that what actually motivates people is often not at all what you expect.

I also learned that you get much farther with talent by reinforcing the behavior you want repeated, rather than criticizing the stuff you would like to cut. This is pretty basic developmental psychology and it applies throughout our lives, particularly when it comes to sensitive issues, such as how we are perceived.

Finally, a performer needs to 'get' how losing ideas/material/whatever it is, benefits their performance in the long-run. This is a tough lesson for many of us. It's not all gold....how much material in film production ends up on the cutting room floor? How many songs recorded during a session don't make the final CD? Our material needs to be constantly scrutinized with some sort of Darwinian 'survival of the fittest,' editing procedure. This is particularly true for performers who use crutch lines or mannerisms (these are often stock lines/mannerisms that they have carried for years), that are delivered without conscious awareness. Sometimes, by simply trimming away this superfluous stuff, the performer can take a giant step towards audience connection by revealing a less mechanical and more vulnerable person.

e
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
4005 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
My background is in comedy magic...which means that I cut my teeth doing magic comedy in dingy clubs. The first lesson you learn (with varying degrees of brutality) is that if it's not real, you're dead in the water. This is why one comic can't really do another comic's material the same way. It's also why one performer who is simply trying to copy another performer's act so often rings HOLLOW...because the very best he can hope for is becoming a rather respectable carbon copy of someone else. The seed of the creation isn't there.

There are a lot of good points being made here. While many of Jay's posts make my teeth grind, I have to admit that he has a point. We all have a tendency to "hide" behind our favorite effects and stock lines. It's safer that way -- and it works pretty well most of the time. (By this I mean that clients don't yell and throw stuff at us.) The shows resulting from safe are "pretty much okay." Of course that means that you have become "a magician" or "a mentalist" -- instead of the unique person YOU are. And THAT means that your act is essentially interchangeable with a vast herd of other acts that are also "magicians" or "mentalists."

MANY performers, mentalist and magicians alike, settle for this.

What makes Banachek or Cassidy or Osterlind -- or the brilliant Kreskin a "brand?"

They color outside the lines. They break rules -- the force of their personalities and showmanship outshines the effect they perform. Am I saying the effects aren't important? Of course not. I'm just saying that performers who DEFINE themselves transcend the medium.

I think that, if you asked any of them...they'd admit that getting to where they are meant falling flat on their faces a number of times. (Babe Ruth struck out over 1300 times...who remembers THAT?) And falling on your face trying to innovate requires both courage and conviction.

I think that great philosopher, Buckwheat, said "Be who you is. Cause if you ain't who you is, then you is who you ain't. And then who is you?"

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

My books are here: www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
Magicus
View Profile
Loyal user
281 Posts

Profile of Magicus
Quote:

What makes Banachek or Cassidy or Osterlind -- or the brilliant Kreskin a "brand?"

David

My experience is that adult lay folk mostly remember three "psychic/mentalist" figures when pressed - Maven, Kreskin, and Geller.

One for his appearance, the other two for their their plausible genuineness.

In the end, the audience makes the "brand." It is good to ask why these names continue to survive in memory. While we all rightfully know and greatly respect Cassidy, Osterlind, Banacek, etc., the average person on the street does not recognize them. But they do remember the skinny man who bent spoons, the nerdy energetic who reads peoples' minds, and the kind-of-creepy guy who stares at you.
Scott Burton
View Profile
Inner circle
1131 Posts

Profile of Scott Burton
Great thoughts guys. Boy, I'd love to get us all in a room together and discuss this much more in depth.
David Numen
View Profile
Inner circle
2076 Posts

Profile of David Numen
Paul Daniels would often have a piece in his routines where he would say "And I, the great Paul Daniels" plus his "Say yes Paul" bit...Bill Malone has his chest-thumping "Bill Ma-Lone" mantra - basis stuff but necessary if you want them to remember your name.
Steve Suss
View Profile
Inner circle
1193 Posts

Profile of Steve Suss
The great mentalist and part time philosopher Socrates taught us to know thyself. Once you've done that then you can figure out where you're going. Of course it can take a lifetime of performing and living to accomplish this but what a worthwhile journey!

Steve
Garrette
View Profile
Special user
926 Posts

Profile of Garrette
My contribution here will be far from original except, I hope, in extending the thoughts to other arenas. As most of you know, I am not a performer of mentalism except in the one-off sense, but I have performed a lot in my life. Much of it has been in theater, much of it in business, much of it in the military, and much of it in everyday life.

By "performed" I really only mean adapting my style to allow for engaging communication in differing circumstances. Sometimes the performance is meant to be entertaining, sometimes educational, sometimes merely cordial, but always memorable.

Rather than go into length about each of the arenas I mentioned, I will focus on merely one: the military. In the military I have conducted literally thousands of briefings. Most of them have been informal, many of them have been informal, but they all have had serious reasons. I have given these briefings to all levels, from Privates to Lieutenant Generals, and from embedded reporter to Ambassador and Prime Minister.

Conversely, I have observed and received thousands of briefings. I hated most of them.

Nearly everyone I have observed given briefings (or from whom I have received them) has known the material and has known the technical aspects of creating and delivering a briefing, but a precious small percentage has known how to actually deliver the briefing so that it engages the interest and concern of the intended audience. Too many times the briefer reads the slides. What's wrong with that? After all, it conveys the required information, no? Well, no. It "recites" the required information, but it most certainly does not convey it.

Worth their weight in gold are those individuals who not only know the subject matter but know how to deliver it. I don't mean they can sing and dance during a PowerPoint; I mean they can engage the thought processes of the audience. Sometimes that means being serious; sometimes it means being humorous; sometimes something in between.

If I had to choose between two potential briefers/performers -- one who knows the subject matter perfectly to the smallest detail but is an automaton when presenting, and one whose grasp of the subject matter is strong but imperfect but who can engage the audience -- I will always choose the latter.

My long-winded point is that the discussions on successful mentalism are universal discussions and not limited to mentalism itself.
Scott Burton
View Profile
Inner circle
1131 Posts

Profile of Scott Burton
Quote:
On 2011-12-15 17:22, Garrette wrote:
My long-winded point is that the discussions on successful mentalism are universal discussions and not limited to mentalism itself.

Great observation. In fact, I recently had a topic in the business section about being genuine in your marketing: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......um=44&23

As you can tell, much of my recent thinking and explorations follow along the same lines.
StJohn
View Profile
Regular user
143 Posts

Profile of StJohn
Scott, no offense but your photo looks like a sales guy. This would put me on my guard. Is that image the real you? Or what you think is the right way?
Like I say, no offense meant. Just a question.
Scott Burton
View Profile
Inner circle
1131 Posts

Profile of Scott Burton
It is me in the photo Smile
I am a business-oriented guy (business educated and trained) and I work for corporate clients exclusively (entertainment, keynotes, and trainings - including elements of sales and motivation). I think I`m positioning myself correctly but am always open to being convinced otherwise.
I`m convinced that no one way is the right way - just the right way for me and the right way for you.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12967 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On 2011-12-15 19:15, StJohn wrote:
Scott, no offense but your photo looks like a sales guy. This would put me on my guard. Is that image the real you? Or what you think is the right way?
Like I say, no offense meant. Just a question.

That's great for Scott. Aren't we all sales guys?
phillsmiff
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1798 Posts

Profile of phillsmiff
Scott, next gig I want you to go 'full Angel' and let us know how it goes. Don't scrimp on the guyliner.

Seriously, looking at his site, salesy or not Scott looks like someone I wouldn't be worried to have approach my friends or clients or family at an event, and I wouldn't say that for all the professional performers on here. Sometimes I have seen performers and I *know* my response to their approach would be 'oh crikes, what now?'. Once they are under way I'm sure they are great, but as a performer I know I could do without having to get over that bump.

Just my opinion of course.

Phill
The new Elysian Duets, marked cards featuring my unique Optical Marking System:
-+: https://phillsmithcreative.com/products/elysian-duets :+-
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » It's not about what you do...it's about you (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL